Men at Coastal Carolina - game thread

WarTiger

i asked this question on the recruiting thread and i'll ask it here. can anyone explain why we have recruited so many guards versus big men? I noticed the roster had four out of the five forwards as seniors and only one forward being signed in the early period. Didn't know if there was a good explanation or if we just haven't been able to sign any more than that.

I'd say the obvious answer is that it's harder to find really good big men. I know Pearl plays a 3 guard system so we would naturally want more guards then big guys anyway. But I'm sure Pearl is looking hard for a quality big man right now. And maybe he has more hope than we do that Reed will reappear.

Yep.....just look around you....the average male is still less than 6'-0 tall....and according to a recent US census, something like 98% of males around the age of 20 are 6'-3 or under.. Just finding a good small forward is a challenge, much less a couple guys around 6'-9 or 10

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we had just one more rim protector we'd be in much better shape. When TSD is healthy we have options at PG and on the wings. But our 5 spot is less than ideal

Good big men are few and far between. Spencer is only a Freshmen and Pearl has been trying to get a big man but so has every major program. We have one coming in 2017 and are still trying to get one for next year. Maybe we can get lucky like Naval Academy many years ago when they signed David Robinson he was at limit of 6'6"when he took his physical for Naval Academy was 6'9" by time he arrived and ended up being 7'.

With the shooters we have this year, Pearl realized how to counter that by developing more 3-point shooters, spreading the floor more. He will get his big guys by next year

With the shooters we have this year, Pearl realized how to counter that by developing more 3-point shooters, spreading the floor more. He will get his big guys by next year

Of course we have one on campus now I think.....assuming that Reed is going to class and doing what is necessary to be eligible next year. JMO but might be good for his development for him to grow and mature another year. With all the young shooters we have now, next year should be pretty good.

Meanwhile, there are not that many guys who are 6-9 or more out there and we have a couple of them....Spencer and Harris .....and Spencer is a frosh and Harris is a great addition this year.

Has always been his plan, that's why he wanted Bowers to change his game up as well

Of course we have one on campus now I think.....assuming that Reed is going to class and doing what is necessary to be eligible next year. JMO but might be good for his development for him to grow and mature another year. With all the young shooters we have now, next year should be pretty good.

Meanwhile, there are not that many guys who are 6-9 or more out there and we have a couple of them....Spencer and Harris .....and Spencer is a frosh and Harris is a great addition this year.

I don't believe Reed is on campus. I believe he stepped away for personal reasons and hopes to return to Auburn in the future. Atleast that was the latest I have heard.

I don't believe Reed is on campus. I believe he stepped away for personal reasons and hopes to return to Auburn in the future. Atleast that was the latest I have heard.

That's my understanding as well. I would be shocked if Reed makes it back but you never know.

That's my understanding as well. I would be shocked if Reed makes it back but you never know.

OK...I thought he was on campus getting his act together.....if not....then I doubt he ever makes it back to AU. Lots of places would take him and not put such "demands" on him regarding academics and behavior.

OK...I thought he was on campus getting his act together.....if not....then I doubt he ever makes it back to AU. Lots of places would take him and not put such "demands" on him regarding academics and behavior.

I'd look for Pearl to replace Reed with a Graduate transfer at this point. Unless Reed makes it back, Pearl needs to be able to hang on until Austin Wiley makes it to campus.

I'd look for Pearl to replace Reed with a Graduate transfer at this point. Unless Reed makes it back, Pearl needs to be able to hang on until Austin Wiley makes it to campus.

You need 1 big man every year either Center or Power Forward hopefully we can get somebody in next years class either Freshman, Juco or Graduate for 1 year then we need another big man with Wiley. After this year we only have Spencer. You need a minimum of 3 but 4 big men on a team aas you need to be able to substitute and cover when you have foul issues.

We're one diamond in the rough big man away from really taking off. I know it rarely happens but I think that's what we're going to have to do....find that guy who hasn't been playing AAU ball or caught a growth spurt in 11th grade and is under the radar. I'm not trying to stereotype but I think even going to Africa at one of those camps and catching a tall lanky guy that plays futbol or something like that even

We're one diamond in the rough big man away from really taking off. I know it rarely happens but I think that's what we're going to have to do....find that guy who hasn't been playing AAU ball or caught a growth spurt in 11th grade and is under the radar. I'm not trying to stereotype but I think even going to Africa at one of those camps and catching a tall lanky guy that plays futbol or something like that even

Good point and while at it I would stop by the Balkan counties along the way home. I keep seeing those guys having names without vowels playing in the mid majors and some are pretty good.....good enough to get some time on the floor in the SEC.

czech these guys out: http://www.europeanprospects.com/adidas-generation-kaunas-2015-bigs/

Danjel would help for sure but he can't be a rim protector. I like the international idea. Find the next Kristaps! ..lol or Kristaps light.

How does UConn do so well with international prospects?

Edit: Nvm they are an NBA factory and I'm pretty sure that's easy to sell lol

I believe kwren said it before we will get the graduate transfer to hold the front court down until Wiley arrives

Wiley will need to rest and also will need help. I am stoked that we are getting Wiley but we need more than just him. Graduate transfer is nice but the Harris types don't come along that often. Hoping to pick up a big man who has graduated could be a long wait. I am sure that the coaches are still looking and talking trying to find another big but so are a lot of other coaches. Also next year we are losing two bigs Harris and Bowers so even if we gat another graduate transfer we will have one less big then this year.

Archived