Iran 'detains' 10 US Navy sailors. Lets them go, hours later. No harm, no foul ?

AURaptor

So, both ships suffered ' nav system ' problems ?

Really?

They 'strayed ' off course.

And then Iran released photos and videos showing our sailors , a clear violation of Geneva Convention rules.

So, no repercussions , what so ever ? They didn't take any liberties w/ our boats , or any equipment , I'm sure.

And the 150 billion Obama promised them will be returned to them, as scheduled.

No one has any issues w/ this ?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really?

And then Iran released photos and videos showing our sailors , a clear violation of Geneva Convention rules.

So, no repercussions , what so ever ? They didn't take any liberties w/ our boats , or any equipment , I'm sure.

The "narrative" seems a stretch -- would like to know the whole story but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it. I'll defer to Sec of State Kerry and his "hands up, don't shoot" diplomacy.

Really?

The "narrative" seems a stretch -- would like to know the whole story but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it. I'll defer to Sec of State Kerry and his "hands up, don't shoot" diplomacy.

Infinitesimally small response Kerry ?

Vice President Biden said there was no apology. There is video of a sailor apologizing. This shows how incompetent this administration is.

Surprise, surprise!

Those who would have us bomb Iran are upset about this. :-\/>

I don't recall anyone saying that we should bomb Iran, but this is unacceptable. At least, every American breathing should find this unacceptable.

Vice President Biden said there was no apology. There is video of a sailor apologizing. This shows how incompetent this administration is.

Biden and State Department officials said there was no apology from the US government. Iran said the sailors apologized: Two different things and not a contradiction.

http://abcnews.go.co...leased-36259429

Vice President Joe Biden, speaking later to "CBS This Morning," said the U.S. government had not issued an apology.

"There's nothing to apologize for," Biden said. "When you have a problem with the boat, you apologize the boat had a problem? No, and there was no looking for any apology. This was just standard nautical practice."

http://abcnews.go.co...leased-36259429

"After determining that their entry into Iran's territorial waters was not intentional, and their apology, the detained American sailors were released in international waters," the Guard said.

No, not every day that 10 sailors get captured by the Iranians . But nice try.

They werent captured. But nice try.

http://spthumbnails.5min.com/10388257/519412825_c_570_411.jpg

And nice spin job by those covering for Biden. He did NOT say " by the US govt ".

I'm not sure I understand the outrage? It seems we should be happy Iran didn't go all Turkey on them.

Some have question as to why such small boats were so far out in the water, not accompanying any other vessels. And then there's also the issue of how they "ran off course"? So now all the sudden our sailors can't figure out which direction to point their boats? The Navy has said there was no mechanical problem, but it was a guidance issue. It's one freaking sandbar in the middle of the Persian Gulf. How hard is it to miss that?

This was not a rescue. Photos clearly show our sailors on their knees, hands behind their heads, and they iranians pointing their guns af them.

Oh yeah, we should be thanking the Iranians that they didn't kill us. My question is, why are they not thanking us that we didn't kill them?

the batshitcrazy crowd apparently wanted to start a war as opposed to resolving the issue in less than 24 hours.

Back to sleep. Just keep dreaming happy thoughts.

Really?

It appears that at least one of the boats had navigational problems, whether due to equipment failures or human error. It's also possible that there might have been minor mechanical/propulsion problems with one boat that could be repaired in time for them to depart the next day, but not in a timely enough manner to get them out of Iranian waters before the Iranians reacted to their presence. In either case it's not unreasonable, in fact I would think it appropriate, that the second boat would not abandon or desert its companion.

Probably not in keeping with the spirit of the Geneva Conventions, but it's not clear if the Geneva Conventions actually apply. Our government is still looking into the matter: http://www.wsj.com/a...lors-1452672825 . The sailors were not technically 'prisoners of war'. The U.S. itself has a history of saying the Geneva Conventions do not apply to captured "enemy combatants" because they do not qualify as "prisoner of war". (How many Red Cross representatives have been granted regular access to Guantanamo?)

Congratulations on your clairvoyance or ability to be sure of things the Navy itself hasn't fully determined or reported yet.

If this was just an unfortunate accident, which both sides claim, why should there be repercussions? Repercussions would only be in order if the boats were not in Iranian waters--a possibility of course that both sides could conspire to cover up, but not something we can confirm or should assume at this point. All nations have a right to seize foreign vessels in their territorial waters without permission, but then a moral imperative to release them unharmed in a timely manner if the intrusion is found to be accidental, which seems to be what Iran did.

Obama, or the US government, does not have unilateral control over the conditions of an agreement (the nuke deal) signed by multiple nations, nor are all $150 billion of seized Iranian assets even located in or under the control of the U.S.

No one has any issues w/ this

I think it shows that diplomatic relations or communications between the U.S. and Iran are improving. The same incident would certainly not have been resolved as swiftly or peacefully a few years ago. Since I believe talking is always preferable to fighting, I see the swift resolution as a positive sign. But I certainly also respect your right to feel differently.

the batshitcrazy crowd apparently wanted to start a war as opposed to resolving the issue in less than 24 hours.

Well yeahhhh! Did you see how embarrassing those photos were?

We can sneak our coffins home.

This was yet another thumb in our eye by Iran, and our govt bows and scrapes in pitiful gratitude.

And not long after Iran launched a missile which landed 1500 yards off the deck of one of our ships.

This was not a rescue. Photos clearly show our sailors on their knees, hands behind their heads, and they iranians pointing their guns af them.

Oh yeah, we should be thanking the Iranians that they didn't kill us. My question is, why are they not thanking us that we didn't kill them?

So our sailors surrendered at gunpoint on their knees with their hands behind their heads? Pretty much standard operating procedure, I would think, whenever armed boats/crews are seized by anyone. I'm not taking time to search for them, but I'm imagine there are plenty of such pictures from U.S. seizures of suspected drug runners in our territorial waters, for example. (And no, I am most certainly not comparing the U.S. Navy to drug runners! I'm just say this is S.O.P. when apprehending trespassing armed boats and crews.)

I don't think anyone is calling this a "rescue" or suggesting that "we should be thanking the Iranians that they didn't kill us".

You are certainly entitled to ask why we didn't kill them. Personally, I don't think anyone should kill anyone over an accident.

I also don't think it's remarkable that Iran took a few hours to interrogate the crew and inspect the boat before determining that the intrusion was accidental or unintentional. If Iran were trying to turn this into a power play or propaganda coup, they probably would have held our guys much longer.

Rubio, McCain and anyone paying attention falls in to that camp.

It's a wonder the administration hasn't blamed a You Tube version of the river boat scene from "Hot Shots! 2" for angering the Iranians.

Rubio, McCain and anyone paying attention falls in to that camp.

paying attention?

Archived