Great story on Cam

Eagle Eye 7

He's still a class act. Could care less what anyone else thinks....they hated him regardless.

Yup.

He deserves criticism for what happened last night. He acted like a petilent child who had his toys taken away. I love Cam and understand he is a very emotional player, but you can't dance and "dab" all over the field, take selfies on the sideline DURING games that you are winning, then act like THAT when you get your ass kicked. The questions the media were asking weren't unfair at all. He's a team captain. He's the MVP. He's got to be better than that. Cam should go on YouTube and watch Russell Wilson's presser from last year.

Why not, exactly? I mean, he did do that... and he's still going to be the starting quarterback for the Carolina Panthers in 2016, his teammates and coaches and family are still going to love and respect him, he's still going to have his enormous contract, he's still going to endorse Gatorade and Under Armor and Beats by Dre and Oikos and whoever else for millions more, he's still going to do a ton of charity work, a bunch of whiny people who don't understand young people or black culture are still going to misinterpret things like his dancing and the media is still going to treat him like crap just like they have been since 2010.

So again, why does he have to act like people who don't play football want him to?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's still a class act. Could care less what anyone else thinks....they hated him regardless.

Yup.

He deserves criticism for what happened last night. He acted like a petilent child who had his toys taken away. I love Cam and understand he is a very emotional player, but you can't dance and "dab" all over the field, take selfies on the sideline DURING games that you are winning, then act like THAT when you get your ass kicked. The questions the media were asking weren't unfair at all. He's a team captain. He's the MVP. He's got to be better than that. Cam should go on YouTube and watch Russell Wilson's presser from last year.

Why not, exactly? I mean, he did do that... and he's still going to be the starting quarterback for the Carolina Panthers in 2016, his teammates and coaches and family are still going to love and respect him, he's still going to have his enormous contract, he's still going to endorse Gatorade and Under Armor and Beats by Dre and Oikos and whoever else for millions more, he's still going to do a ton of charity work, a bunch of whiny people who don't understand young people or black culture are still going to misinterpret things like his dancing and the media is still going to treat him like crap just like they have been since 2010.

So again, why does he have to act like people who don't play football want him to?

He doesn't HAVE to do anything. He can act any way he wants. I've been a huge Cam supporter from day one. Last night was a bad look for him and there's no denying it.

Yup.

He's not Russell Wilson. Maybe he should have followed a much younger Peyton Manning attribute? http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Peyton-Manning-storms-off-Super-Bowl-field-Is-h?urn=nfl%2C218314

And at least he gave props where props were due.

12670175_10208638011205288_3773545319474927973_n.jpg?oh=f36eeed60442d1e4e0556baa5f853a4e&oe=5768ABCD

Yup.

He doesn't HAVE to do anything. He can act any way he wants. I've been a huge Cam supporter from day one. Last night was a bad look for him and there's no denying it.

There's no denying that people are choosing to view him (more) negatively because of it. There's plenty of denying that he actually did anything wrong or damaging.

12670175_10208638011205288_3773545319474927973_n.jpg?oh=f36eeed60442d1e4e0556baa5f853a4e&oe=5768ABCD

You're trying way too hard, bro.

Ah. So you're free to write an entire paragraph criticizing but he's to be mocked for offering a couple different thoughts. Kind of the MO around here, really.

Nope....I'd hope people who have my back have it with sincerity. No offense, but there's more to this story than a presser where the opponent is interviewing right behind your back and all you can hear is that guy talking about how they just beat you.

Nope....I'd hope people who have my back have it with sincerity. No offense, but there's more to this story than a presser where the opponent is interviewing right behind your back and all you can hear is that guy talking about how they just beat you.

But that makes keyboard cowboy criticism a lot less convenient.

It's absolutely bizarre how little capacity we have for acknowledging that we don't know all the details in any given situation.

But that makes keyboard cowboy criticism a lot less convenient.

It's absolutely bizarre how little capacity we have for acknowledging that we don't know all the details in any given situation.

2016....and beyond.

Don't know who the "they" is...but if you have a kid and he screws up, you don't love him less....but you can't just act like it didn't happen either. It's not a matter of hate....in this case it was a matter of doing his job....which was to represent himself and the team in a difficult situation.... and do it like a professional.

If he is going to do his job as a team leader, he's gotta handle stuff like this in a better way. Surely you can't disagree with that.

If you were an Auburn fan in 2010 or have followed the Carolina Panthers at all the last 5 years, then you should know that Cam Newton is one of the greatest team leaders in the game today. Don't project your opinions on to the people who he just carried to a Super Bowl.

I've never missed a game....and I see his warts too. You can't tell me that he enhanced his role with the Panthers last night.....and I'm not talking about the game....every team loses games....and I've watched him sulk around for four years with the Panthers and I figured he had outgrown it....but he's a kid when he wins....and acts like a spoiled kid when he loses.... so don't give me that crap....

JMO....but I bet we get a heartfelt apology sometime in the next day or two....Jerry Richardson will insist on it....

Ah. So you're free to write an entire paragraph criticizing but he's to be mocked for offering a couple different thoughts. Kind of the MO around here, really.

Cam deserves criticism for last night. And I'm not mocking anyone. Not sure where you got that from. I realize Cam is a sacred cow to a faction of AU fans. He could fire an arrow into a school bus and they would defend him. Just to be clear, I have no problem with all the dancing, "dabbing" and all the superman stuff all over the place as long as you are also gracious in defeat. I actually enjoy his celebrating. I even thought it was hilarious when he danced for 10 seconds against the Titans and they tried to fight him. But he acted like a child after the game last night. End of story.

Don't know who the "they" is...but if you have a kid and he screws up, you don't love him less....but you can't just act like it didn't happen either. It's not a matter of hate....in this case it was a matter of doing his job....which was to represent himself and the team in a difficult situation.... and do it like a professional.

If he is going to do his job as a team leader, he's gotta handle stuff like this in a better way. Surely you can't disagree with that.

If you were an Auburn fan in 2010 or have followed the Carolina Panthers at all the last 5 years, then you should know that Cam Newton is one of the greatest team leaders in the game today. Don't project your opinions on to the people who he just carried to a Super Bowl.

I've never missed a game....and I see his warts too. You can't tell me that he enhanced his role with the Panthers last night.....and I'm not talking about the game....every team loses games....and I've watched him sulk around for four years with the Panthers and I figured he had outgrown it....but he's a kid when he wins....and acts like a spoiled kid when he loses.... so don't give me that crap....

JMO....but I bet we get a heartfelt apology sometime in the next day or two....Jerry Richardson will insist on it....

It is my opinion that nobody associated with the organization enhanced their role last night, other than maybe Kony Ealy.

You're probably right about an apology, and that's too bad. Everybody knows it's all a bunch of BS and yet we're all going to get all pissed off and force one of the few unique, interesting, transcendent people out there to play the stupid, boring game. It will be soooooo much better when Cam has contrived, aw shucks, crowd-pleasing answers about kissing his wife and drinking Budweiser like the one Peyton gave twice last night almost verbatim to (at least) 2 different interviewers.

Cam deserves criticism for last night. And I'm not mocking anyone. Not sure where you got that from. I realize Cam is a sacred cow to a faction of AU fans. He could fire an arrow into a school bus and they would defend him. Just to be clear, I have no problem with all the dancing, "dabbing" and all the superman stuff all over the place as long as you are also gracious in defeat. I actually enjoy his celebrating. I even thought it was hilarious when he danced for 10 seconds against the Titans and they tried to fight him. But he acted like a child after the game last night. End of story.

His presser was bad, but look at post 30 in this thread again and see if he was gracious in defeat or not.

Yup.

Totally agree. I think it's high time that more athletes stop pandering to the sports media. Had they asked him a serious question that he hadn't already answered in his first answer, the interview might have gone very differently. Heck, I don't feel like talking to people after Auburn loses,and I'm not even at most of the games, let alone on the team. Let's face it, Cam gave them exactly what interviewing the losing QB right after the game is designed to give them, drama.

And I'm not mocking anyone.

I'm not sure you heard yourself in your head before typing that first response.

I realize Cam is a sacred cow to a faction of AU fans. He could fire an arrow into a school bus and they would defend him.

I certainly don't think anybody who has posted on this site belongs to that faction. I certainly don't. Good use of the school bus analogy though, because I can easily reverse that. Cam could, I dunno, provide a ton of free food to kids in need or show up with a food truck at a sick kid's early Halloween party, and there's a faction of AU fans who would still fixate on him not answering stupid questions after a football game.

End of story.

Wrong, but I'll gladly agree to end of this conversation. WDE

Apparently I don't watch enough TV. I have seen people defending Cam for weeks. Even seen him defending himself from criticism. The problem I have is that I have missed the critism that caused all the this in the first place. Maybe a random tweet from nobody here and there. Like I admitted in my first sentence I may just be missing it. The only bad mouthing I have seen this year came last night and this morning. The same criticism he got the last few years when things go bad. I am a Cam fan. Only because of Cam I am an nfl fan. I am not any less of a fan today than before the Super Bowl. I would prefer and suggest he strive to handle losing situations better. He might win a championship or two but 15-1 and a Super Bowl loss will be one of his best seasons he will ever have.

Let's all be honest. Cam is a freaking saint if he was able to get out of the stadium without having a serious conversation with his O-Line about why he spent the majority of the night on his back or running for his life.

The same could be also said if he happened to see the referee who shrugged off the obviously malicious hit in the end zone near the end of the game.

Not only did he have a bad night, which he is kicking himself about, but he was a punching bag all night long, which he had no control over.

Oh, and will we're at it, let's talk about a lack of class in a guy like Aqib Talib, who was talking trash about Cam after the game when he scored multiple personal fouls, and literally tried to rip a guys head off with his face mask to prevent a touchdown.

I think it's ridiculous that people are ripping into Cam because he didn't want to answer a bunch of dumb questions. He was gracious in his loss to the other team and congratulated them. He flat out stated that they were outplayed. He didn't make any excuses.

The criticism for him not diving after that fumble is absurd. He could see the Denver guy reaching for it, and knew the ball was going to change locations so there was no use diving towards the location of the ball at that moment. It's like when youre trying to hit a moving target, you aim where the target is going to be, not where it is. He was waiting to see which direction the ball would go. That play more than anything just goes to show that haters are gonna hate.

Here's the play again, albiet with a negative spin on it (only one I could find)

You can see the bama trolls come

Out quick after Cam loses. People talking about his presser after are totally full of crap. He answered their dumb questions and when they just kept asking the same stupid crap he walked off rightfully so. So you toothless trolls on here just take a hike back to your run down trailer park. WDE Cam

Like AU64 said: Plays the game like an enthusiastic kid and winning is fun but........he seemed to lose like a kid...a very unhappy kid. It's understandable that he's po'ed and dejected but if your the league MVP I would think you need to handle these situations better and hopefully he'll learn from this moving forward and represent himself, the Panthers and the NFL in a better light.

Well, at least we can say him acting like a kid isn't calculated. His actions in the moment of defeat were child-like. As far as the presser, eh these media guys are trying to find ammo to bring him down but he didn't do anything for them NOT write about.

Also, Russell Wilson is such a phony in interviews its hilarious - classy? Yup. But he is a robot in front of media he knows the cookie cutter responses and he uses them to a T. Cam is a far cry from being polished on the microphone but at least it feels like Cam is answering the questions whereas when Russell Wilson is at the podium it feels like a PR person is feeding stock answers for him.

Seem an article in the past when peyton lost in the super bowl and stormed off field they said he couldn't hide his fire....NFL is pretty much everybody feels you should act like everybody before you. Brady, Peyton, Rodgers, Eli, Wilson aren't really more classy they just follow protocol

No use trying to educate these bama trolls like James G. People like Cam play with extreme passion. They care about the game, and when they lose they lose with that same passion. My all time hero was Dale Earnhardt. I can promise he never gave a good interview after he lost a race. When you get to the level of folks like Cam and Dale, it is a lot harder to accept, when you pay such a great price to get there. This isn't little league ball. These guys are doing work and making sacrifices to get to these games so when they lose it hurts a whole lot more than if you were just out for a weekend game of golf. If you don't like them then don't watch them. As for the reporters, go back and listen to their stupid questions in the interview. He answered them and they kept repeating the same old crap. I would have walked out sooner than Cam to tell you the truth. All I can tell you bama folks is you should see a doc for the buthurt that you are still experiencing from Cam kicking your rears. WDE

Archived