Auburn @ Ole Miss Game 3

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mize pitches a scoreless 6th, at 96 pitches so who knows if he has one more left in him. Auburn leads 4-0 going to the 7th. On that note, I'm out to finish this weekend up and enjoy the beach. Hopefully, the guys can bring it on home. War Eagle!

Maize crosses the magic 100 pitch mark but gets OM quickly in bottom of 7th....AU still up 5-0.

Mize removed after another allows a base runner.

Bramer gives up a couple hits and HR. Grier bails him out with a great catch and the inning close wit AU leading 5-2

Well big surprise...OM gets another HR to tie the game with none out in the 9th. OM owned Braymer...and Butch goes to get him.

Errors at short puts winning run on base with no outs for Klobo. 12 errors this weekend.

Game over....OM gets a gift wrapped victory from AU.

Butch has a culture to change at AU. It's more than just needing players. There's a mindset of losing and it's was on display with the 3 losses to Ole Miss this weekend. Pitiful.

Wow. Unacceptable loss. Glad I didn't see that last two innings. Sounds like some major changes needed in the field. Immediately.

Wow. Unacceptable loss. Glad I didn't see that last two innings. Sounds like some major changes needed in the field. Immediately.

Just to note that this game is on YOU...left before you had it wrapped up.

Just to note that this game is on YOU...left before you had it wrapped up.

Understood. Had no idea I went and dumped our Hoover chances in the Gulf along with my kayak

I should say that I do think Butch can get it done. It's just going to take time. These are setback weekends but to be expected considering the turmoil around the squad at the beginning of the season. Yes, they made the NCAAs last year but barely, and they limped in.

Butch has a culture to change at AU. It's more than just needing players. There's a mindset of losing and it's was on display with the 3 losses to Ole Miss this weekend. Pitiful.

I don't buy this mindset of losing....most of these same guys were on a team with less talent last year , and made it to the Regionals....and I can't recall game after game getting away from them like we've witnessed. Worst defense in the SEC.....started the season with half dozen errors in a game and finishing the same way.

How can this be a program attitude?....none of the guys were even here more than 3 years ago....and everyone came from a winning HS or Juco program. Other than hitting, most of the current players are going backward/

I should say that I do think Butch can get it done. It's just going to take time. These are setback weekends but to be expected considering the turmoil around the squad at the beginning of the season. Yes, they made the NCAAs last year but barely, and they limped in.

I like our hitting approach for the most part (late close game ABs still leave some to be desired). I can forgive pitching to an extent with an ace injured and no bullpen whatsoever, plus a couple promising freshmen. But fielding is the enigma. Auburn has only been average the past few years I feel like but this season is just self-destruction.

But yes, I still believe Thompson will get it done with a full offseason under his belt. Just wish they could get on a good run where even though they're out-talented (they are, vastly), they could at least make the normal fundamental plays.

Another instance of Butch leaving a pitcher in one batter too long. That's been concerning for me: you don't wait until the pitcher makes the big mistake, you take him out before he gets there. UM lit up Braymer for what was the equivalent of an inning and butch gets him after he walks the lead off batter and the next guy gets a base knock. Poor coaching move IMO

Another instance of Butch leaving a pitcher in one batter too long. That's been concerning for me: you don't wait until the pitcher makes the big mistake, you take him out before he gets there. UM lit up Braymer for what was the equivalent of an inning and butch gets him after he walks the lead off batter and the next guy gets a base knock. Poor coaching move IMO

Yep....but he stuck with Mize a long time.....we just wasted too many of his pitches on mis-plays.....Mize should have been able to make it through the 8th the way he had command of the game.

After that....it was purely a guess as to who could get the job done. In this case Butch did not have many good options...and nobody stood up.

Butch must be having a hard time transitioning from an Assistant Coach to a Head Coach.

This game was s classic example of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Butch must be having a hard time transitioning from an Assistant Coach to a Head Coach.

This game was s classic example of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

I can think of a couple games this season where you are right, but I'm just not seeing it with this game. I think this ones on the players. He got the most he could out of Mize, the game plan at the plate was good and aggressive. Did he leave a bullpen pitcher too long in the 9th? Maybe, but we have nobody out there who I don't hold my breath for when he comes in. And by going back and looking at the tying homerun, I can tell you no coach wants the ball there lol. Now you could be right about his transition period being rough, but 6 errors, 4 of them most likely preventing Mize from finishing the game, did the team in today, not coaching in my opinion.

Why can't we hire a big name baseball coach who's also a big time winner. Heck, look at the women's softball team. Coach Myers has this team believing they can win every time they hit the field. Now go back and look at our baseball hires since Hal retired.

We will see. Hope I am wrong, but with the team's SEC record at the present and lack of fundamentals being displayed, plus a lack of confidence, doesn't bode well for the reminder of the season. This team is on a fast track for the cellar of the SEC unless Butch and his staff finds some answers very soon.

We will see. Hope I am wrong, but with the team's SEC record at the present and lack of fundamentals being displayed, plus a lack of confidence, doesn't bode well for the reminder of the season. This team is on a fast track for the cellar of the SEC unless Butch and his staff finds some answers very soon.

I agree completely. Unfortunately, I think the cellar is ours this year, especially ending with MSU and at Vandy. I think it's safe to say Butch has underperformed this season, and with Keegan gone this year, I didn't expect a regional, but I sure as heck didn't forsee a 10-20 (if they're lucky) conference season. Mize has had a couple ugly starts this season despite being great as of late, but assuming Keegan stays, that's two-thirds of a rotation that can win you some games. But then some bullpen arms DESPERATELY need to be found. I think Sprinkle will develop nicely and some of the others will probably rebound next season, but there's currently not a guy in the pen with filthy stuff that I can think of right now. So with that said, next season will probably be like this year ought to have been, with a trip to Hoover and maybe nothing else, which should put a lot of pressure on Butch for the ever-important third season.

Archived