The Offense...

Charhair

So we ran 89 plays last night, wasn't Gus' magic number back in 09-10 60 plays and we'd be in every game? 

Pettway averaged over 6 yards a carry on 20 carries.

we seemed to have plays that negated MG15's impact yet we seemed as though we stopped calling them. 

So I guess what I'm saying/asking is what was our problem other than play calling?

Why'd Pettway disappear for almost 2 quarters? 

Was Gus trying to call this game so similarly to the Clemson game in order to prove everyone wrong or something? It seemed he went right back to some of the stuff that cost us that game.

how did Gus not have a plan to even use jf3 unless the offense stopped working with Sean? Playing against almost the consensus #1 draft pick at this point and we had a player and scheme that fit right into his "weak" spot (run defense)

We ran 89 plays and scored 16 points, to me that makes no sense unless we would have had 5 or so turnovers. 

Are there any explanations other than cluelessness?

He panics and then tries to "create a spark"...instead of craftily figuring out ways to involve JF3 at the right time.

its obvious that much of the offseason was wasted on a gimmick scheme instead of designing to our strengths.

If we're talking offense... besides play calling, and preparation in general... my biggest "wtf" are our receivers!

The wide receiver position is the easiest position for a true freshman to get on the field!  We signed 4 big legit recievers last go round...(2 of which were 5 stars)!  Yet, our passing game is centered around a 5'9 Marcus Davis and a converted kicker (who is a munchkin in his own right)!!!  It's embarrassing!  Why is so easy for alabama, miss, uga, ect... to get their freshmen on the field?!?!?  I don't care if Marcus Davis is a senior, he's not a legitimate SEC wide-out!

I'm sick and tired of Gus and Lashlee playing these "good story" boys.  Meanwhile, we have Nate Craig and Kyle Davis who are big/strong receivers, with range... just wasting away on the sideline.  I mean, it's not like Malzahn has the most complex/complicated route scheme... trust me, it ain't hard to learn.

The fact of the matter is, Gus would rather  play guys because they're seniors, or a "good story"... rather than guys who are big enough and strong enough to create separation and make some plays.  If these guys are the best we have, then we're in trouble!  It make no sense!

So, the few times a game Sean White actually has time to throw the football, he has no one to throw too... our munchkins are covered up!  

50 minutes ago, tombigbeetiger said:

the "OFFENSIVE GENIUS" may have overloaded his hard drive.....or he might have had a series of mini-strokes that affected his memory.....or, he might just be arrogant and stubborn

I'm going with the arrogant and stubborn, mainly because i see him as inflexible and therefore predictable. A terrible trait for a coach.

1 hour ago, Altima said:

Yet, our passing game is centered around a 5'9 Marcus Davis and a converted kicker (who is a munchkin in his own right)!!!  

Our passing game is centered around 6'4 Tony Stevens who leads the team in every receiving category.....

50 minutes ago, tombigbeetiger said:

the "OFFENSIVE GENIUS" may have overloaded his hard drive.....or he might have had a series of mini-strokes that affected his memory.....or, he might just be arrogant and stubborn

I'm going with the arrogant and stubborn, mainly because i see him as inflexible and therefore predictable. A terrible trait for a coach.

2 minutes ago, metafour said:

Our passing game is centered around 6'4 Tony Stevens who leads the team in every receiving category.....

Was he leading these categories before last night?

1 minute ago, sevenlee36 said:

Was he leading these categories before last night?

I'd guess either he or Hastings was. Outside of Davis' big catch I don't think many others have many plays 

34 minutes ago, metafour said:

Be that as it may... There is no reason Nate Craig and Kyle Davis should be on the sideline...

1 minute ago, Altima said:

Be that as it may... There is no reason Nate Craig and Kyle Davis should be on the sideline...

I think KD has done extremely well for a true freshman who was battling injury all off season. 

I also remember the announcers saying NCM had been nursing a hamstring injury vs arky state

I'm hoping NCM, KS AND ES don't decide to pack in after this season. I'm sure this not what they were promised when they were recruited. It seems Gus and his offensive coaches wait  until wide receivers are seniors before they see any significant playing time. What really burns me up is seeing Calving Ridley make plays over and over again for Bama's passing game. And he is just a sophmore.

6 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

I'm hoping NCM, KS AND ES don't decide to pack in after this season. I'm sure this not what they were promised when they were recruited. It seems Gus and his offensive coaches wait  until wide receivers are seniors before they see any significant playing time. What really burns me up is seeing Calving Ridley make plays over and over again for Bama's passing game. And he is just a sophmore.

Calvin Ridley has the advantage of having an offensive coordinator. 

It was reported that Pat Sullivan spoke to the Auburn football team after Sunday's practice.  I respect Pat.  Here's to hoping that he can talk some sense into Gus.   I'm grabbing, folks, grabbing for anything here....

Blocking is more important than receiving skills on a Gus lead team, they spend lots of time working on it in practices, that is one of DC's issues that he had.  The best receivers don't necessarily play for Gus.

Not sure way we do don't have some plays under center lined up in the I formation.   Some stretch plays, toss sweeps, off tackle and then play action off those same plays.    When was the last time you saw a play action roll out from an AU QB?   This is some very  simple offense plays that would keep  defense guessing 

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

Not sure way we do don't have some plays under center lined up in the I formation.   Some stretch plays, toss sweeps, off tackle and then play action off those same plays.    When was the last time you saw a play action roll out from an AU QB?   This is some very  simple offense plays that would keep  defense guessing 

I'm pretty sure one of the 3rd downs we failed to convert against a&m was a play action roll out. Sean was forced to throw across his body and made a pretty good throw (to tony Stevens I believed) who didn't come down with the catch. 

14 hours ago, Charhair said:

Why'd Pettway disappear for almost 2 quarters? 

I watched Sumlin's presser and he said that Chavis adjusted at half to shut down Pettway.  Not sure what they did, but probably changed a few things on the DL.

4 hours ago, AcUmen said:

I watched Sumlin's presser and he said that Chavis adjusted at half to shut down Pettway.  Not sure what they did, but probably changed a few things on the DL.

He only had 2 carries in the third quarter and he was running all through their defense in the 1,2&4 quarters. I don't see how the staff could have known he'd been "shut down"

JF3 needs to get the majority of reps in practice.   Build a balanced game plan around him (zone read, passing) along with pettway.  Can't be all zone read .... Because the defense will stack the box..... Let him pass.

It's really pretty simple.  Gus's offense hinges on a dominant offensive line (this has been discussed at length in the past). While we have a good line, with a couple of guys who show sparks of great on occasion, we don't have the kind of line that makes the big gaping holes and buys enough time for Gus's plays to setup.  So, with Sean, he's coaching completely out of his comfort zone against any team that has a decent D-line, and with John, he has a very limited playbook, since he can't run anything that takes any time. 

The other issue is that Gus appears to be insistent on using certain players, even to the detriment of the team. This week it was Kerryon.  Kam was pounding the rock down their throat, since the weakness of their D is the center, but Gus wanted Kerryon in the game, so you have the third quarter stall.

At this point, @Lucy123.  If we are playing a team with an aggressive defensive line, our best bet is to roll the dice with John. He's shown that he can pass, and at least the speed of the zone read takes pressure off of the O-line. If we play a team with a D-Line that we can manhandle, then Sean can pick them apart.

1 hour ago, Charhair said:

He only had 2 carries in the third quarter and he was running all through their defense in the 1,2&4 quarters. I don't see how the staff could have known he'd been "shut down"

It's part of Gus' genius.  He knew Chavis was going to shut it down before Chavis did.

One thing is for sure....We are going to get one hell of a dose of Kam Pettway moving forward. If nothing else, Gus wants to be able to brag on his 1000 yard rusher streak.

Archived