2013 might have ruined Gus's career

mikeholiday

I was reading this article on Lamar Jackson the other day and he mentioned that he picked Louisville because he didn't want to be a "zone read quarterback". 

The thing is Gus has not gotten his top choices at quarterback ever since 2013. 

I wonder if 2013 might have type-cast Malzahn as a zone-read only coach and hurt Auburn's chances to recruit top quarterbacks. 

Both Lamar Jackson and Brandon Harris were at the top of Auburn's board but turned us down to go to a pro-style offense. In fact we have consistently failed to attract qb's that fit our offense. Deshaun Watson being the one stings the most.  

It's pretty obvious Sean White is not a good fit for what Gus wants to do with his offense. Unfair as it is to him, he was never Gus's top choice and it shows in how little Gus seems willing to change his offense. 

Basically ... Gus better hope JF3 works out or he will looking for a new job soon. 

Gus has had plenty of time to prove to HS QBs that he can diversify, evolve, and adjust his offense and tailor it to his QBs strengths.  Like sand in the hour glass....time is running out for Gus.  This year will tell us if he can handle a Power 5/SEC conference HC job or if the man's just in over his head.  

8 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

My opinion, Malzahns quarterback coach ban has hurt him in recruiting qb's.

How 'bout use that +$500,000/yr salary he's paying Rhett to coordinate an offense that Gus is supposedly doing himself now and use that $$ to bring in a QB coach?

Just now, keesler said:

How 'bout use that +$500,000/yr salary he's paying Rhett to coordinate an offense that Gus is supposedly doing himself now and use that $$ to bring in a QB coach?

Rhett is the son Gus never had.  It makes you wonder how things would be if Rhett never got into coaching and Gus had a different QB coach.

In my stupid opinion, Newton and Marshall ruined Malzahn. He did not have a qb near those two in talent at Tulsa, Arkansas, Arkansas State, or pre Newton Auburn, yet his offense at those schools were very successful.

53 minutes ago, keesler said:

Gus has had plenty of time to prove to HS QBs that he can diversify, evolve, and adjust his offense and tailor it to his QBs strengths.  Like sand in the hour glass....time is running out for Gus.  This year will tell us if he can handle a Power 5/SEC conference HC job or if the man's just in over his head.  

i can answer that question for you today, so you won't have to wait.......let me put it this way, if he jumped into the deep end of the pool, he would drown in record time

Lamar Jackson did not turn us down; he never even had a committable offer from us.  Jackson would be here if we had chosen so.  We didn't even bring him in for an official visit.

3 hours ago, mikeholiday said:

I was reading this article on Lamar Jackson the other day and he mentioned that he picked Louisville because he didn't want to be a "zone read quarterback". 

I wonder if 2013 might have type-cast Malzahn as a zone-read only coach and hurt Auburn's chances to recruit top quarterbacks. 

Both Lamar Jackson and Brandon Harris were at the top of Auburn's board but turned us down to go to a pro-style offense. In fact we have consistently failed to attract qb's that fit our offense. Deshaun Watson being the one stings the most.  

It's pretty obvious Sean White is not a good fit for what Gus wants to do with his offense. Unfair as it is to him, he was never Gus's top choice and it shows in how little Gus seems willing to change his offense. 

Basically ... Gus better hope JF3 works out or he will looking for a new job soon. 

I am pretty sure Lamar Jackson wanted to come to AU. In fact, I just linked an SB article stating the exact opposite happened. We did NOT want him PER a recruiting services.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/9/16/12934306/lamar-jackson-louisville-quarterback-recruit

13 minutes ago, metafour said:

Lamar Jackson did not turn us down; he never even had a committable offer from us.  Jackson would be here if we had chosen so.  We didn't even bring him in for an official visit.

thats the way i remember it

5 hours ago, mikeholiday said:

This is incorrect. Lamar Jackson was not at the top of our board at qb. We essentially missed on Lamar Jackson we did end up offering him as an athlete with a a chance to play qb late in the process. He would be here like metafour said had we offered him at qb and pushed for him. You are correct however Brandon Harris was our top qb target the year we signed SW.

3 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

I believe Lamar JACKSON was in Tyler Queens class though the year after SW and Brandon Harris.

I think once it was clear Francois was headed elsewhere we had missed the boat on Jackson.  Had we focused on Jackson instead of him, we might have a different season ahead of us.

We would be undefeated with Jackson no doubt and probably would remain undefeated until UAT which would have been a toss up. This is where imo we have messed up recruiting qbs. We have been going for the top ranked DT qbs and then when we miss we end up with a guy like SW who is a good qb just not a good fit. For our offense we need a qb who is a game changer running the football or who is a very good runner and he also needs to be able to make the throws required of him for our offense. Nick Marshall was the perfect example of this he was an electrifying runner with a good arm and who could make the throws necessary to have our offense clicking. We have to run to open up the pass for this offense to work. Woody Barret is gonna be a pretty good fit imo. Jarret Stidham is an absolute perfect fit and is the type of highly rated dt qb we have been missing on. He is a very good runner and excellent passer. What I am saying basically is that when we have recruited qbs since the 2014 class we have missed on a top qb and ended up with a qb that is not a good fit. We pushed for Brandon Harris who I think would be a much better qb in our offense and ended up with SW. FSU qb was our top guy in 2015 we missed on him and really didn't end up with anybody although we signed Queen who was committed long before we realized Francois was going to FsU.

10 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

I think once it was clear Francois was headed elsewhere we had missed the boat on Jackson.  Had we focused on Jackson instead of him, we might have a different season ahead of us.

do you honestly think that these two great offensive minds that we have could hold a light to bobby petrino when it comes to coaching quarterbacks?...really?....lamar jackson would never amount to crap playing under these bozos

2 minutes ago, tombigbeetiger said:

do you honestly think that these two great offensive minds that we have could hold a light to bobby petrino when it comes to coaching quarterbacks?...really?....lamar jackson would never amount to crap playing under these bozos

Lamar Jackson would have been a stud in our offense. That argument does not work when Nick Marshall who was coached by CGM was a stud. 

10 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

I'm not saying Gus and Rhett are the reason that Nick was a stud. I am saying in the offense we run is perfect for qb's like Marshall and Jackson. 

now tell me again, exactly what kind of offense is it that we try to run?

The title of this forum makes no sense.  If we were having seasons like 2013, we would not even be having this debate.  The offensive system that was in place in 2013 worked because we had the right players for it.  Since then, not so much.  The problem with Gus's systematic approach to the offense is that he does not appear to know how to adjust it when necessary: like not having the right players for it.  Gus would be an offensive guru if always had the players to fit the system like in 2010 and 2013.  But he has not been consistent in recruiting appropriate replacements, thus he does not appear to be the offensive genius he was in those years.

17 minutes ago, WeagleAU said:

The title of this forum makes no sense.  If we were having seasons like 2013, we would not even be having this debate.  The offensive system that was in place in 2013 worked because we had the right players for it.  Since then, not so much.  The problem with Gus's systematic approach to the offense is that he does not appear to know how to adjust it when necessary: like not having the right players for it.  Gus would be an offensive guru if always had the players to fit the system like in 2010 and 2013.  But he has not been consistent in recruiting appropriate replacements, thus he does not appear to be the offensive genius he was in those years.

This is exactly what I was trying to say. We have not recruited the right pieces mainly qb. Our Oline is also a major reason we have struggled on offense this year which has puzzled me because I was told all off season we would be solid on the Oline. Even with the qbs we have if Coleman and Young had stayed I believe we are 3-0. That is just my opinion though.

40 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

I'm not saying Gus and Rhett are the reason that Nick was a stud. I am saying in the offense we run is perfect for qb's like Marshall and Jackson. 

If Jackson was successful at AU I don't think it would have come as early as it did to him with Petrino.

i also do not think Gus and Rhett could have developed his passing in the same way that Petrino has.

that being said, with all of the QB camps and what not that go on every summer, I do believe that Jackson could have developed into a pretty good QB at AU. 

Play calling is as big an issue in where we are than anything else. The only thing limiting Malzahn's play book is Gus himself.  He has had the opportunity to adjust the offense to suit the players on hand and he has failed because his either too stubborn to do it, or doesn't have the competency to do it. 

I don't call dialing up some desperation Wing T/Notre Dame Box plays "tweaking" the offense to the QB's strengths. 

This failure isn't on the players. It's all on Gus/Lashlee.

What has ruined Gus is his inability to be adjust to the DC's. They have this offense figured out when there's no run threat by the QB.

12 minutes ago, Charhair said:

If Jackson was successful at AU I don't think it would have come as early as it did to him with Petrino.

i also do not think Gus and Rhett could have developed his passing in the same way that Petrino has.

that being said, with all of the QB camps and what not that go on every summer, I do believe that Jackson could have developed into a pretty good QB at AU. 

Jackson would be a stud in our offense right now this year had he signed with Auburn.

9 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Play calling is as big an issue in where we are than anything else. The only thing limiting Malzahn's play book is Gus himself.  He has had the opportunity to adjust the offense to suit the players on hand and he has failed because his either too stubborn to do it, or doesn't have the competency to do it. 

I don't call dialing up some desperation Wing T/Notre Dame Box plays "tweaking" the offense to the QB's strengths. 

This failure isn't on the players. It's all on Gus/Lashlee.

I agree he doesn't adjust his offense but with the way our Oline is playing atm I don't see alot of options.

Archived