JACOBS SPEAKS

aubiefifty

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

That being said, JJ's football hires have been bad when you consider 5-19 and 1 year of HC experience at Ark State. Unacceptable at a traditional SEC power like AU.

Sorry, my basketball rant is over. Delete if necessary.

They look that way in hindsight, and Chizik was indeed a little controversial at the time.  That said, Chizik was the DC of one of the best teams Auburn has ever put on the field.  He followed that up at Texas.  He made a poor career decision by accepting a head coach job at Iowa State.  No one wins there.  I think he gave a great interview, and lacking success at a place everyone else has lacked success was overlooked.  His staff hires gave everyone hope, and the BCS National Championship made him look golden.

Gus was a rather popular hire.  At that point, everyone was giving him the credit for 2010.  People being hired for jobs of this magnitude with no HC experience are not uncommon.  Mark Richt had no HC experience when he was hired, neither did Will Muschamp.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it fails.  You are rolling the dice any time you hire a coach that has never been a HC, or has not been one for long.  Auburn rolling the dice was not at all uncommon.

I do not blame JJ for hiring either, as I am not convinced that anyone else would have not hired them at the time.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Tiger said:

Bruce Pearl was a fantastic hire. Possibly the biggest splash and actually proven-winner AU hire I've seen in my entire life combining both football and basketball programs. If we let go of him or let him walk his next job will be a step up showing you all that's necessary about his coaching ability.

He's already recruited better than any AU bball coach in school history. We saw how he turned a traditionally ho-hum UT program into a consistent top 10 program during his tenure there. It's a shocking to me that some people don't understand how valuable his hire was and how deep of a hole our previous 3 previous coaches put us in, each digging deeper than the last. Duh, we haven't made post-season play you can't undo an entire decade of crap in just 2 or 3 seasons. Even this year we are not as talented as we need to be to make a post-season run IMO (mainly due to size and huge question marks at PG) but that should tell you how far behind we were as a program considering we are recruiting at historic levels right now. Not to mention his first 2 years he had to fill the roster with fringe P5 players, jucos, and transfers just so we had enough bodies to practice. Then injuries ravaged the team last season on top of everything. We are lucky Bruce didn't realize how bad of shape the program is in and bolt for any of the countless other schools that would be easier for him to win at.

That being said, JJ's football hires have been bad when you consider...

...that Gene Chizik, JJ's first hire, led AU to its first consensus national championship since 1957, and Gus Malzahn, JJ's second hire, tied the record for the biggest turnaround in D1 history while leading our Tigers (with a converted UGA DB playing QB!) to within seconds of another national championship.

I'm 55 years old. I lived my entire life without seeing AU crowned as consensus nation champions. From 1957 to 2010 is a long time. Bad hires? Chiz didn't work out in the end, and Malzahn may not either, but saying that they were bad hires is really stretching it and ignoring history.

8 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

...that Gene Chizik, JJ's first hire, led AU to its first consensus national championship since 1957, and Gus Malzahn, JJ's second hire, tied the record for the biggest turnaround in D1 history while leading our Tigers (with a converted UGA DB playing QB!) to within seconds of another national championship.

I'm 55 years old. I lived my entire life without seeing AU crowned as consensus nation champions. From 1957 to 2010 is a long time. Bad hires? Chiz didn't work out in the end, and Malzahn may not either, but saying that they were bad hires is really stretching it and ignoring history.

I don't mean to sound like I'm ignoring the high points. But a national title/best season ever and the worst season in program history could arguably cancel each other out. Maybe not in a literal sense because we will all forever hold onto the 2010 season while we can move on from 2012 because of the quick success Gus brought us immediately after. I guess I just think AU should be a place where splash hires happen, especially now for this upcoming hire (if we are forced to). 2 national title game experiences put our program at a higher level than having to get head coaches in training. From that perspective IMO the hires could have been better. Why are we in a position where a coach can't actually succeed when they are here long enough to actually have 100% their guys in the program? That seems like it should be the opposite - harder years early in the tenure and it gets better when the program is 100% a reflection but we always experience the reverse of that. So weird. 

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

I don't mean to sound like I'm ignoring the high points. But a national title/best season ever and the worst season in program history could arguably cancel each other out. Maybe not in a literal sense because we will all forever hold onto the 2010 season while we can move on from 2012 because of the quick success Gus brought us immediately after. I guess I just think AU should be a place where splash hires happen, especially now for this upcoming hire (if we are forced to). 2 national title game experiences put our program at a higher level than having to get head coaches in training. From that perspective IMO the hires could have been better. Why are we in a position where a coach can't actually succeed when they are here long enough to actually have 100% their guys in the program? That seems like it should be the opposite - harder years early in the tenure and it gets better when the program is 100% a reflection but we always experience the reverse of that. So weird. 

I get where you're coming from, but at age 55 I lived through the national title drought (though I was at the Sugar Bowl in '84 and sure nuff thought our Tigers had earned it that season after both 1 and 2 lost their bowl...didn't see Miami jumping over us coming at all), the end of the Shug Jordan era and the Barfield days.  I'm mostly happy with the state of the program, and I still believe that Gus may yet turn out to be the kind of coach that reverses the trend you talked about.  Hope so anyway.  Regardless, barring a real superstar of a hire, I don't think turning over head coaches every four or five years is a recipe for success.

46 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

I get where you're coming from, but at age 55 I lived through the national title drought (though I was at the Sugar Bowl in '84 and sure nuff thought our Tigers had earned it that season after both 1 and 2 lost their bowl...didn't see Miami jumping over us coming at all), the end of the Shug Jordan era and the Barfield days.  I'm mostly happy with the state of the program, and I still believe that Gus may yet turn out to be the kind of coach that reverses the trend you talked about.  Hope so anyway.  Regardless, barring a real superstar of a hire, I don't think turning over head coaches every four or five years is a recipe for success.

I hear you and I can definitely respect your side of it. You raise some good points especially us changing coaches so often but if we could somehow make our floor 8 wins/year instead of the norm we wouldn't have to discuss if firing the coach is the right thing to do. We could certainly have it worse but the program teases us with just a little bit of wild success with what looks to be a bright future only to flop. It's been a pattern we have been stuck in for a while I'm just hopeful we can change it. I hopeven Gus is able to turn it around and be that guy as well.

Auburn had very few (if any) problems raising money, since long before Jacob's got here. Regardless of who is sitting behind the athletic director's desk at Auburn, raising money, will not be a problem. 

Archived