JACOBS SPEAKS

aubiefifty

2 hours ago, keesler said:

While doing so should he also take credit for not having one single AU athletic team under NCAA investigation?  Should he take credit for student-athletes high graduation rates?  How 'bout taking credit for negotiating and retaining some of the most lucrative revenue generating contracts in the conference?

I mean if he's going to own up to bad hiring decisions, then he should at the very least be able to highlight the primary objectives of his job responsibilities while running a multi-million dollar athletic program.

Credit is seldom given for people doing what is expected of them as a baseline for competency like, not breaking NCAA rules, having your athletes attend class and pass their courses.  However JJ does excel at making/raising money (that he doesn't have to turn around and give away during a buyout due to a bad coaching hire).  Someone needs to tell him what the general in Heartbreak Ridge told the incompetent major in the marines that used to be a supply officer.  (Edit: there is some language, so if the clip is in violation, just delete my post).

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's September and Jacobs is already on damage control for..............................HIS OWN JOB!  I've only heard rumors, read and article, and heard on the radio, but supposedly the people in sky boxes are not happy with the state of the football program/athletic department. 

The wheels on the Gus bus go round and round................................................................

3 hours ago, keesler said:

While doing so should he also take credit for not having one single AU athletic team under NCAA investigation?  Should he take credit for student-athletes high graduation rates?  How 'bout taking credit for negotiating and retaining some of the most lucrative revenue generating contracts in the conference?

I mean if he's going to own up to bad hiring decisions, then he should at the very least be able to highlight the primary objectives of his job responsibilities while running a multi-million dollar athletic program.

I don't Think you should take credit for doing your job. It's expected of him.  But I will grant he has done some good things. 

As far as his hiring efforts:

Golloway/ fail

Fortner/fail

Pearl/huge win

Chizik/fail

Myers/huge win

Malzahn/????

Williams- flournoy/ ???

Barbee/fail

Thompson/???

As far as investigations  go.  While not the whole program! Wasn't Cam investigated and found not guilty of getting paid?

Wasn't Ward on the basketball team investigated for point shaving?

And again,besides the hires I think he has did a good job. He truly does seem to be an Auburn man.

Just wondering!  When the amount of our coaches payouts equals our countries debt (sarcasm) who do we blame for that?

3 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Many, Many AU supporters loved the GM hire, because if his rep and success at AU as OC. Why wouldnt we? If there was another big time coach that JJ had in his pocket if he just offered it to him, i want to know who ...Patterson? 

But with Gus we had someone who recruited in the SEC, coached in the SEC, and was a good well rounded person too.

So maybe GM will not work out, get his team winning again...yes JJ made a choice most thought would work.

I dont care if he made bad hires before...let's concentrate on FB. Is Pearl showing up as a bad hire? No...

I will agree with you up to a point.    However, now is the time to set your foot down, say make changes, or else.

And no I don't believe in firing your head coach has in the middle of the season.

10 minutes ago, lutzcammed said:

I don't Think you should take credit for doing your job. It's expected of him.  But I will grant he has done some good things. 

Golloway/ fail

Fortner/fail

Pearl/huge win

Chizik/fail

Myers/huge win

Malzahn/????

Williams- flournoy/ ???

Barbee/fail

Thompson/???

As far as investigations  go.  While not the whole program! Wasn't Cam investigated and found not guilty of getting paid?

And again,besides the hires I think he has did a good job. He truly does seem to be an Aubutn man.

Just wondering!  When the amount of our coaches payouts equals our countries debt (sarcasm) who do we blame for that?

Yes Jay loves Auburn. He would be good as a promoter and fund raiser for Auburn. 

The fact that we gave him a raise after going 6-6 is astounding. Why didn't the reporter ask him about that? 

Gus is fighting for his job, but JJ should be on the hook for this mess as well.

...and before we start anointing Bruce as a great hire, let's see if we make the ncaa tourney this year first. His first 2 years were garbage. Not his fault, I know, but this is THE year. 

...and don't get me started on baseball. 

36 minutes ago, lutzcammed said:

Golloway/ fail

Fortner/fail

Pearl/huge win

Chizik/fail

Myers/huge win

Malzahn/????

Williams- flournoy/ ???

Barbee/fail

Thompson/???

And again,besides the hires I think he has did a good job. He truly does seem to be an Auburn man.

I might be wrong, but wasn't Jacobs also responsible for Jeff Lebo?

While Jacobs insists he does not keep up with social media I'll bet the fact JHS was not sold out for the conference opener certainly got the the attention of some PTB who in turn got Jacobs undivided attention.

3 hours ago, AcUmen said:

Jay, I know you've worked hard and taken a lot of heat.  But I wonder if you would give us a sneak peak at who some of your HC candidates are.

:beer2:

I'm sure folks will think I'm a Jacobs apologist and that's your prerogative.  I'm hot and cold on Jacobs - but I don't think "he" should take the brunt of the heat for the coaching hires. He used a search committee of Auburn Men (Bo/Pat/Mac) to make the Gus hire - they wanted Gus and the BOT signed off on the full contract including salary & buyout and the contract extension earlier this year.   Jacobs has made some necessary terminations with coaches and he's made some decent hires as well.

Maybe Jacobs would serve Auburn better in a fund raising capacity.  Then what?  Give some names of qualified men that could step in and run this AD better than JJ.  And I don't mean Tommy freakin Tuberville who was hated by some of the same BOT members and big money boosters we still have now.

8 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

While Jacobs insists he does not keep up with social media I'll bet the fact JHS was not sold out for the conference opener certainly got the the attention of some PTB who in turn got Jacobs undivided attention.

Oh, most definitely.  And the fact that tickets are selling for pennies on the dollar for the SEC opener and will most likely be the same for this LSU game.  

I've got season tickets, sit with the same people every season and have for many years.  We know each other well, we've watched each others kids grow up and now many are currently AU students.  We are inside the stadium with the normal loud cheering/booing, etc. and the frustration has been intense since game 1.  Imagine how the tension & frustration builds in the small confines of one of those sky boxes.  If I were Jacobs, I wouldn't want to be present to watch the game from one of those things among the big money men that are just as pissed as we've been.  I'd be afraid someone would throw my ass out.

4 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

...and before we start anointing Bruce as a great hire, let's see if we make the ncaa tourney this year first. His first 2 years were garbage. Not his fault, I know, but this is THE year.

We'll see. Auburn basketball is one of the harder jobs in the power 5 conferences, so I'm not making any big judgments on Pearl anytime soon.

Pearl is a known quantity and lets be honest, at least right now, Auburn wouldn't be able to hire anyone better or with as much experience.

The idea that Jacobs isn't in way over his head is a joke.  Just the argument that "Auburn wouldn't be able to hire anyone better" proves that point.  Takes a special talent to overcome insurmountable odds.  Jethro Bodine Jacobs is not a special talent as AD.

6 hours ago, lutzcammed said:

Golloway/ fail

Fortner/fail

Pearl/huge win

Chizik/fail

Myers/huge win

Malzahn/????

Williams- flournoy/ ???

Barbee/fail

Thompson/???

You left out Slater-Fail

6 hours ago, lutzcammed said:

Golloway/ fail

Fortner/fail

Pearl/huge win

Chizik/fail

Myers/huge win

Malzahn/????

Williams- flournoy/ ???

Barbee/fail

Thompson/???

While JJ gets to take credit for the Clint Myers hire, he was not responsible for it. Coach Myers was not even on JJ's radar when it fell into his lap.

That being said, I have no doubt Jay loves Auburn but when you start hurting something you love (whether it be bad hires or bad financial decisions) it's time to step down.

My bad, JJ didn't hire Slater as baseball coach. He hired Palowski, another baseball failure.

During his tenure as AD, Auburn has produced one good season in basketball and two in baseball.

1 hour ago, CoffeeTiger said:

We'll see. Auburn basketball is one of the harder jobs in the power 5 conferences, so I'm not making any big judgments on Pearl anytime soon.

Pearl is a known quantity and lets be honest, at least right now, Auburn wouldn't be able to hire anyone better or with as much experience.

I am not saying he won't turn out to be great, maybe even the best bball coach ever at au. His recruiting is like nothing we have seen. But until he proves he can get us to the dance he is an unknown. 

20 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

My bad, JJ didn't hire Slater as baseball coach. He hired Palowski, another baseball failure.

During his tenure as AD, Auburn has produced one good season in basketball and two in baseball.

Agreed. It has been pathetic. But I will say we have had unprecedented success in football over the last 6 years. 2 sec, 1 national title and another title game appearance. Impressive. 

Of course it seems we are in the middle of a downturn...

11 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

I am not saying he won't turn out to be great, maybe even the best bball coach ever at au. His recruiting is like nothing we have seen. But until he proves he can get us to the dance he is an unknown. 

keep living and you'll see why bruce pearl is a great coach....it starts this season....i am of the mind that AU should throw most of the assets that are currently being used to support a failing football program toward the two basketball programs, baseball and softball.....i have no hope that having a top level football program can be achieved on a consistent basis, if things in the administration remain as they are

Bruce Pearl was a fantastic hire. Possibly the biggest splash and actually proven-winner AU hire I've seen in my entire life combining both football and basketball programs. If we let go of him or let him walk his next job will be a step up showing you all that's necessary about his coaching ability.

He's already recruited better than any AU bball coach in school history. We saw how he turned a traditionally ho-hum UT program into a consistent top 10 program during his tenure there. It's a shocking to me that some people don't understand how valuable his hire was and how deep of a hole our previous 3 previous coaches put us in, each digging deeper than the last. Duh, we haven't made post-season play you can't undo an entire decade of crap in just 2 or 3 seasons. Even this year we are not as talented as we need to be to make a post-season run IMO (mainly due to size and huge question marks at PG) but that should tell you how far behind we were as a program considering we are recruiting at historic levels right now. Not to mention his first 2 years he had to fill the roster with fringe P5 players, jucos, and transfers just so we had enough bodies to practice. Then injuries ravaged the team last season on top of everything. We are lucky Bruce didn't realize how bad of shape the program is in and bolt for any of the countless other schools that would be easier for him to win at.

That being said, JJ's football hires have been bad when you consider 5-19 and 1 year of HC experience at Ark State. Unacceptable at a traditional SEC power like AU.

Sorry, my basketball rant is over. Delete if necessary.

Archived