Freshman QB

wde1968

I understand stars are ratings players have to play but.........Why are we afraid to start a freshman qb? Hurts was not even listed in the bspn top 300. While Woody was pushing the top 100 yet could not beat out what I saw on the field is shameful. Now my question is what is the problem a)refuse start a fr 2) he was not as good as expected 3)no development or 4) all of the above. From the recruitment I'm seeing a qb has not even verballed it's not getting better. I have poured heart and soul in support since the middle of 9 straight for them. In all those years the of the 2 best QBs to play at Auburn one was a dB. I just don't see why it has been such a long struggle to at least have a decent qb.

15 minutes ago, wde1968 said:

I understand stars are ratings players have to play but.........Why are we afraid to start a freshman qb? Hurts was not even listed in the bspn top 300. While Woody was pushing the top 100 yet could not beat out what I saw on the field is shameful. Now my question is what is the problem a)refuse start a fr 2) he was not as good as expected 3)no development or 4) all of the above. From the recruitment I'm seeing a qb has not even verballed it's not getting better. I have poured heart and soul in support since the middle of 9 straight for them. In all those years the of the 2 best QBs to play at Auburn one was a dB. I just don't see why it has been such a long struggle to at least have a decent qb.

Well... there are two very distinct possibilities.  First... he's a freshman who they intended to red shirt, and they had a back-up QB who needed a lot of work, so he didn't get the time under center, this season, to get comfortable enough with the playbook to start. Second... by the time we needed him, the coaches may have decided we didn't have enough games left to make it worth burning his red shirt. After all, they were hoping Sean would be able to handle Georgia, and once we fell to Georgia, there was nothing to play for, other than pride, which usually won't come at the expense of a red shirt.

All that being said, I would have seriously considered giving him a shot.

to believe anybody beat anybody out in an auburn practice is to suggest these coaches even know what to look for in a practice. i'll believe only what my eyes see going forward, no depth chart submitted by the coaches will have any meaning to me ever again.

4 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

to believe anybody beat anybody out in an auburn practice is to suggest these coaches even know what to look for in a practice. i'll believe only what my eyes see going forward, no depth chart submitted by the coaches will have any meaning to me ever again.

Sadly, i agree i feel like any trust i had in this HC has been used up; particularly in the sense of talent evaluation and play calling, and finally player development. Nothing i have seen makes me think that Woody will be ready when the time comes for him to start.

24 minutes ago, wde1968 said:

I think every situation is different, frankly. Hurts is exceptionally mature for a freshman. That's going to be the biggest factor when determining whether a true freshman is going to be able to play early. How will you react to everything that comes with playing college football. How will you react to the routine, the playbook, the speed, the expectations, adversity, teammates, coaches, etc. Very few guys can handle everything right away. Hurts is clearly an exception. 

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I think every situation is different, frankly. Hurts is exceptionally mature for a freshman. That's going to be the biggest factor when determining whether a true freshman is going to be able to play early. How will you react to everything that comes with playing college football. How will you react to the routine, the playbook, the speed, the expectations, adversity, teammates, coaches, etc. Very few guys can handle everything right away. Hurts is clearly an exception. 

And, don't forget, he was competing for the starting job the whole time he was at bama, so he was getting reps and attention form the QB coach.  Woody was always slated for a red shirt, so he didn't get the benefit of reps.

It helps that Hurts is a coach's kid. Those kids always have a leg up in football knowledge and the way they prepare.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

And, don't forget, he was competing for the starting job the whole time he was at bama, so he was getting reps and attention form the QB coach.  Woody was always slated for a red shirt, so he didn't get the benefit of reps.

Right, and my understanding of Woody is that he just needs more time/snaps under center. Everything is there, he just needs to spend more time behind the wheel so some fundamentals of the position can gel for him. I trust the coaches did the right thing redshirting him. 

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

It helps that Hurts is a coach's kid. Those kids always have a leg up in football knowledge and the way they prepare.

Seldom talked about, but a big part of what people mean when they talk about maturity. This is a very good point. 

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Are you getting some little birds ready to play at Auburn?

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Are you getting some little birds ready to play at Auburn?

As much as he wants to, and he loves football, he unfortunately can't with his medical condition. He is picking up game planning and scheming pretty nicely though

Just now, bigbird said:

As much as he wants to, and he loves football, he unfortunately can't with his medical condition. He is picking up game planning and scheming pretty nicely though

I don't think anyone would argue that we need that, too :)

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Wonder who he takes that after..............

54 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Also helps that he was on campus just before the National Championship game against Clemson, in fact they used him on the scout team as  Watson, therefore he played against first team D and had an opportunity to get comfortable with the team going into spring.  When did Woody come to campus again?  Wasn't he hurt?  Huge difference. 

I don't necessarily think Woody was the answer to start the season, but had he been named the backup instead of working so hard on JF he could have been good. He could have potentially played against Ark. ST., MSU, Arkansas, ULM, and Vandy. With that experience he would have been our best option at Georgia then in Tuscaloosa. 

If he had that opportunity and Malzahn or Rhett would have called plays to give him actual, valuable game experience, who knows what his ceiling as a freshman would have been. 

This is just a poor coaching decision in my mind when your other two options were JF who ain't a QB and JJ who was a senior and so he wasn't really worth investing more development time in IMO. 

However... I didn't watch Woody practice either so I guess that's what they pay Malzahn 4.5 a year for??

Since uat's QB is a true freshman and played like he's a senior, it tells me that Saban & Kiffin can see something very special in QB's that we can't see. On the other hand, Malzahn & Lashlee can not see that something special in QB's. You don't believe me? just look back and see what White, Johnson and Franklin did compared to Alabama's TFr. QB.

18 minutes ago, eibua12 said:

Also helps that he was on campus just before the National Championship game against Clemson, in fact they used him on the scout team as  Watson, therefore he played against first team D and had an opportunity to get comfortable with the team going into spring.  When did Woody come to campus again?  Wasn't he hurt?  Huge difference. 

That and woody got on campus at the last minute. Even rumors of issues with grades. Here anyway. His availability was not on the same course as hurts. 

33 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Since uat's QB is a true freshman and played like he's a senior, it tells me that Saban & Kiffin can see something very special in QB's that we can't see. On the other hand, Malzahn & Lashlee can not see that something special in QB's. You don't believe me? just look back and see what White, Johnson and Franklin did com

pared to Alabama's TFr. DB.

Nonsense..... How do you explain the numerous other 4* and 5* QBs that bama signed over the recent years that never played a down? ..did not get "developed" and most eventually moved somewhere else.    Bring in enough good prospects and generally you will find one who can play it seems.  

Even with Hurts as a freshman they are bringing in two 4* kids this year.  And as someone noted, the bama offense is not as QB dependent as AU has been in recent years.   They seem to find unheralded guys, including transfers, who can do what they want him to do. 

Meanwhile, looking at the Rivals top 2017 QBs, AU is about the only SEC team without at least one commit from the top 50..

53 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Nonsense..... How do you explain the numerous other 4* and 5* QBs that bama signed over the recent years that never played a down? ..did not get "developed" and most eventually moved somewhere else.    Bring in enough good prospects and generally you will find one who can play it seems.  

Even with Hurts as a freshman they are bringing in two 4* kids this year.  And as someone noted, the bama offense is not as QB dependent as AU has been in recent years.   They seem to find unheralded guys, including transfers, who can do what they want him to do. 

Meanwhile, looking at the Rivals top 2017 QBs, AU is about the only SEC team without at least one commit from the top 50..

Totally agree. Alabama recently had to rely on a SR QB who had never started before( Sims) and brought in a transfer who they thought would start his first year (Coker) but didn't until his last year. And Saban wins on a stud D, and strong running game. Until Kiffin got there, the QB simply tried to manage the game, and not turn the ball over.

Our Problem is we get maybe 1 4* QB a year, and it doesn't always work out. Look at so many big college programs who have started JUCO or grad transfer QBs. It not just Auburn. our problem seems to be coaches who think to much and over scheme and plan. AKA Clemson and Alabama games..))

6 hours ago, wde1968 said:

First off Hurts didn't start the season. He entered game 1 if not game 2 as the #2 guy. then took over for Barnett who has since left bama. so it's not like they went into the season planning on playing a TF QB. 

Also, funny you mention one of the two stars being a Georgia DB. we actually have a player committed that is a Georgia High School DB. he committed as an athlete but will get 1st shot as a QB...and that's exactly where I want him. Trey Bishop. you must of just skimmed through the commits. most think he will end up at safety, but considering where we are at QB, he needs to stay right there. We have 2 or 3 stars in the making at QB as long as we have CGM and we can actually develop them... woody, tray this cycle, and Joey Gatewood next cycle already committed.

10 hours ago, weagle06 said:

I don't necessarily think Woody was the answer to start the season, but had he been named the backup instead of working so hard on JF he could have been good. He could have potentially played against Ark. ST., MSU, Arkansas, ULM, and Vandy. With that experience he would have been our best option at Georgia then in Tuscaloosa. 

If he had that opportunity and Malzahn or Rhett would have called plays to give him actual, valuable game experience, who knows what his ceiling as a freshman would have been. 

This is just a poor coaching decision in my mind when your other two options were JF who ain't a QB and JJ who was a senior and so he wasn't really worth investing more development time in IMO. 

I think I would have done exactly the same thing as the coaching staff. With Woody you only had time for about 2 weeks of evaluation at the start of fall practice. With JFIII you've had the entire spring and summer and you're working with someone who is clearly a gifted athlete. Then you still have JJ6 as a third option, who has started and actually won us some games.

Frankly (no pun intended), Franklin had plenty of seasoning and preparation time prior to the Vandy game and his performance in that game was sorely disappointing. At that point I think it's too late to burn Woody's redshirt. And who knows how he'll turn out? Maybe he'll be great; maybe he'll be a complete washout.

But from the viewpoint of the coaches in mid-August 2016, I wouldn't have handled the situation with Woody any differently.

If you followed Woody Barrett as closely as I have this year, everyone knew that Woody needed a redshirt year to prepare for SEC play.  Gus is not afraid to play freshmen, that is obvious this year.

Gus won't rip his redshirt off, if nothing else because he sees is buddy over at Ole Miss getting hammered for ripping the redshirt off of his quarterback.

Archived