Southern Cal needs a game

theMan

Would ya'll consider playing them IF you could get another home and home? I wouldn't do it w/o a return trip......

Trojans try to fill up 2005 docket

By Ben Malcolmson, Daily Trojan

February 8, 2005

(U-WIRE) LOS ANGELES -- Even with all the returning starters, the all-star recruits and the endless praise, there's one thing missing for the USC football team's 2005 season: A game.

As it stands now, the two-time defending national champion Trojans have 11 games -- five at home and six on the road -- but they are looking to play one more.

And currently, that slot is filled with a TBA.

ADVERTISEMENT

No, not a matchup against the Texas Baptist Academy or The Backers of the Arts, but a game that is To Be Announced.

And as the clock ticks closer and closer to the 2005 season, time is running out on finding a team to play.

"We are currently trying to fill the TBA and hope to do that here in the coming months," USC Sports Information Director Tim Tessalone said.

The way it looks, the Trojans are trying to replace that TBA with a game at home against a nonconference opponent. USC plays six away games (at Hawaii, at Oregon, at Arizona State, at Notre Dame, at Washington and at California) and five home games (Arkansas, Arizona, Washington State, Stanford and UCLA), so it only makes sense that the athletic department wants to fill that extra space with a game at the Coliseum.

The 2005 season, for the most part, is slated to be an 11-game season for college football teams. The past two seasons have been 12-game seasons, but the way the calendar works out this year, it calls for only 11 games on the schedule for most schools.

But with the so-called "Hawaii Rule" -- which entails that a team traveling to play at Hawaii receive permission to play an extra home game to offset travel expenses -- USC can line up an additional game.

But when will that extra game be?

Right now, the TBA game is scheduled for Sept. 10, the week after the trip to Hawaii and the week before the home date with Arkansas.

But rumor has it that USC is trying to schedule the TBA game in November, when the Trojans have two consecutive bye weekends between their matchup with Cal on Nov. 12 and their tilt with UCLA on Dec. 3.

Based on past years, such as last season when USC scheduled Virginia Tech eight months before the game, USC is probably trying to fill that slot with a high-powered opponent.

"We're always looking for an attractive nonconference game, but the later you go, the more difficult it is to fill," Tessalone said.

As the calendar moves closer to the start of the season, USC is going to have more trouble filling that TBA with a worthwhile team.

So, then, who's going to fill that TBA?

An article in the Modesto Bee on Friday revealed Fresno State's strong desire to fill USC's emptiness by offering to come to the Coliseum whenever the Trojans tell them to.

"Our goal is to play the best in the country, and they're the best team out there," Fresno State coach Pat Hill told the Bee. "There's not a lot of people knocking on their door to come to the Coliseum and play them, I promise, but we will."

Besides Fresno State, other city-named California state schools could fill the hole -- San Jose State or San Diego State could easily be nudged into being a rag doll for one Saturday afternoon, since a trip to play the nation's best team means television coverage and good revenue.

Juicy gossip also has Louisville -- a team that finished No. 6 in the final Associated Press poll of 2004 after an 11-1 season -- sauntering out to the Coliseum in November. With the Cardinals expected to be the cream of the crop in the Big East, their new conference, a matchup between USC and Louisville would cause television executives to salivate, fans to shriek with excitement and college football pundits to wonder why USC would do such a thing.

The Trojans have no reason to take on a game like that -- win, and that's what they're expected to do, but lose, and the season's done.

While we're on that note, who else could USC fill that TBA with?

How about Auburn, the team that whined after getting gypped out of the Orange Bowl this year after an undefeated season? The War Eagles have a TBA on their schedule, too. Not only that, but Auburn already has six home games scheduled, so an away game is in order, especially if they want to prove themselves in terms of nonconference scheduling. It seems like destiny is at work.

And hey, if USC-Auburn doesn't work out, the War Eagles could always get The Citadel again.

But for the Trojans, they could try and play Troy. Imagine: Trojans versus Trojans. The scoreboard operator would quit.

Or USC could invite the other USC out to the Coliseum. South Carolina, welcome to South Central. Enjoy your stay.

But if all else fails, the Trojans could always just stick with 11 games for now. USC's 12th game -- and that sixth home game -- can just be the BCS title game at the Rose Bowl on Jan. 4, 2006.

Guest Tigrinum Major

I say, bring 'em on! I would prefer the November date also, not an early season date that might be a daunting task for a first time starter, so I don't know if that would work out. I would put our defense up against a Norm Chow-less offense and take our chances.

If nothing else, it would elevate us in the eyes of the nation for having the guts to play it.

And hey, if USC-Auburn doesn't work out, the War Eagles could always get The Citadel again.

But for the Trojans, they could try and play Troy. Imagine: Trojans versus Trojans. The scoreboard operator would quit.

Or USC could invite the other USC out to the Coliseum. South Carolina, welcome to South Central. Enjoy your stay.

But if all else fails, the Trojans could always just stick with 11 games for now. USC's 12th game -- and that sixth home game -- can just be the BCS title game at the Rose Bowl on Jan. 4, 2006.

145383[/snapback]

What E V E R , It's the T I G E R S you freak...... :au::homer:

How freakin great would it be if USC slated in a 1AA team? I would love it.

Personally, I don't want to play them next year. If we lost, the media would equate it to the game that should have been played this year. I don't want to hear that.

145383[/snapback]

"The Trojans were all over the Cocks on that play."

"Cocks looking to score....Trojans are there to fill the hole."

"The Trojan defensive barrier is just too strong for the Cocks to bust through."

...etc, etc, ad nauseam with the double entendres.

How freakin great would it be if USC slated in a 1AA team?  I would love it.

Personally, I don't want to play them next year.  If we lost, the media would equate it to the game that should have been played this year.  I don't want to hear that.

145408[/snapback]

and as stupid as that would be you are right

I hate ignorant people that call us the War Eagles. West Virginia is open that date. That would be a good non-conference game that would fill up Jordan-Hare.

145401[/snapback]

Being called the War Eagles or even hearing that in reference to Auburn Irritates The Hell outta me...........I was at the Citadel game and I overheard an older lady repeatedly say "Come on War Eagles", and she Had to be The Loudest Fan I've ever heard, even with me Hollerin', Cheerin', Cussin' I could still hear her...........Kinda like when your truck/car starts making a funny rattling noise and you try to Drown it out with the Stereo, but you Still hear it, even though no one else does..........It just crawls under my skin, man. War "BY GOD" Eagle

145383[/snapback]

"The Trojans were all over the Cocks on that play."

"Cocks looking to score....Trojans are there to fill the hole."

"The Trojan defensive barrier is just too strong for the Cocks to bust through."

...etc, etc, ad nauseam with the double entendres.

145411[/snapback]

I was in LA in the fall of 1980 for that very matchup. In the end, the Trojans were, in fact, able to contain the Cocks.

George Rogers had the only bad game of his senior Heisman trophy-winning season.

As for us, I would love to play the Trojans again this year.

Guest Tigrinum Major
I hate ignorant people that call us the War Eagles. West Virginia is open that date. That would be a good non-conference game that would fill up Jordan-Hare.

145401[/snapback]

Being called the War Eagles or even hearing that in reference to Auburn Irritates The Hell outta me...........I was at the Citadel game and I overheard an older lady repeatedly say "Come on War Eagles", and she Had to be The Loudest Fan I've ever heard, even with me Hollerin', Cheerin', Cussin' I could still hear her...........Kinda like when your truck/car starts making a funny rattling noise and you try to Drown it out with the Stereo, but you Still hear it, even though no one else does..........It just crawls under my skin, man. War "BY GOD" Eagle

145414[/snapback]

This has never bothered me that much. Think about it, Bodygetta ends with "..give 'em hell, you war damn eagles." And one of my favorite shirts of all time had this on the back:

Auburn...

where the tiger roars,

the eagle soars,

and the plainsmen aren't so plain.

Just my .02...

yea sure auburn should jump at the chance just because we got screwed this year. what an idiot. we lost 5 of our best players and our DC. the media would make that last years +1 game and while we would stand a chance, it would not be a good one. if we had the same players it would be intriguing but not after losing all we did. and whats up with the whole "war eagles" thing. stupid people from california.

yea sure auburn should jump at the chance just because we got screwed this year. what an idiot. we lost 5 of our best players and our DC. the media would make that last years +1 game and while we would stand a chance, it would not be a good one. if we had the same players it would be intriguing but not after losing all we did. and whats up with the whole "war eagles" thing. stupid people from california.

145436[/snapback]

You are right.

This would be an awful idea. I was only born in 84 but I remember hearing us doing something liek this with Miami after the 83 season. We lost a ton of our senior leadership and most of our talent after that year, we played Miami and lost. The media and coaches were all given a pat on the back saying they made the right decision when TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TEAMS WERE PLAYING!

USC does not lose nearly what we do. I would have loved for us to have a shot at them last year and I think it's a toss-up as to who would win. But I would never count out the team we had last year in ANY game.

This years team has yet to prove itself, I don't want for people to start making the comparison betweeen the two.

First... wouldn't the open dates have to be on the safe weekend?

Second... USC would defeat Auburn more than likely next year. And everyone will be like, "see - USC was unstoppable and Auburn should've played a tougher non-conference schedule." It doesn't matter what is next year... it was this year's football team that went 13-0. The 2 teams are completly differently. USC will have some coaching changes and Auburn will have some player changes. USC will be basically the same talent wise.

Personally I would like to see us schedule Troy and not the men of Troy. We would actually pack the place out and there would be huge fan interest around the state. Troy was a bowl team last year and they've spent the last few years playing the likes of Nebraska, Missouri, Miami, South Carolina, LSU, Miss. St., Maryland etc. They would not hurt the strength of schedule at all.

Guest Tigrinum Major
Personally I would like to see us schedule Troy and not the men of Troy.  We would actually pack the place out and there would be huge fan interest around the state.  Troy was a bowl team last year and they've spent the last few years playing the likes of Nebraska, Missouri, Miami, South Carolina, LSU, Miss. St., Maryland etc.  They would not hurt the strength of schedule at all.

145463[/snapback]

I don't think we will ever see this for the same reason we will never see a regular season UAT-UAB matchup. It is of no beneift to the larger school. If Troy gets too big, we will have to compete for recruits and such.

Actually, I should have said it will be of no benefit to us or to UAT. UAB is the larger campus in the UA system, based on students, second in the state to Auburn.

Would ya'll consider playing them IF you could get another home and home? I  wouldn't do it w/o a return trip......

145383[/snapback]

Would we?! Damn straight. Every Auburn FAN would love to see us play USC. We aren't scared.

Would the administration? HELL NO!! Its nothing to gain, everything to lose. Plus it would mean only 6 home games. They've already committed to 7 home games a year. It just can't happen. Too much $$$ at stake.

Forget this "we'd go out there and lose and then catch hell for it" attitude.

Lets go out to Southern Cal, kick the crap out of them, and then just say.......wow, imagine what would have happened last year with all of the extra studs we had!

:roflol::au::roflol:

I see your point Known but I don't ever see Troy going much further than they are right now. If we ever get to the point where we're battling hard with Troy for the better recruiting class, we're in big trouble. :P

Troy just doesn't have the alumni support and fan backing to do much more. Case in point, they played Mizzou as the Thursday night ESPN game. The Game Day crew was there. They hyped this game around these parts for months and months. They were GIVING away tons of tickets. Supposed to be the biggest game in the history of Troy football to get a Big 12 team, with a preseason Heisman candidate, at home and guess what...there were still a couple of thousand empty seats in a 30,000 seat stadium.

Come to think of it...maybe the Troy game wouldn't be a sellout after all. <_<

USC vs Auburn would certainly be a media dream. We would get lots of ink, which Tub LOVES. I say, lets do it.

I wouldn't like our chances to win, though. I feel like our defensive secondary will be the weak link next year. (if we had some talent somewhere, I feel we would have plugged them into that corner spot). Last year's heisman winner would likely expose them.

And lets face it, other than Chow, USC isnt loosing a lot of talent.

Like the guy said, we could always play The Citadel again!

When we scheduled USC for a homw and home three years ago, do you think it was a bad idea then? If we could get a return date, it would definitely put us into the spotlight. I like it when we put a quality opponent on the schedule. Virginia a few years ago was a good game. We need to keep that in mind.

Why in the world would we not want to play USC. They are the BCS NC and will be ranked #1 in all the preseason polls for 2005. Dang right they will be good again. Who's afraid? We won't ever be #1 if we're afraid to play #1.Bring 'em on :D

Why in the world would we not want to play USC. They are the BCS NC and will be ranked #1 in all the preseason polls for 2005. Dang right they will be good again. Who's afraid?  We won't ever be #1 if we're afraid to play #1.Bring 'em on :D

145566[/snapback]

I totally agree. I'm still grumpy about bailing on the FSU game years back. This would show an attitude that we're now a national power, afraid of no one, and here to stay. And by getting them again in a very good 2006 .....

i hate when auburn fans say "what if we lost?". so what if we do lose, i would rather lose than have people say auburn had a chance to play USC and backed out because they knew they would lose. until we can schedule these types of games and expect to win every one of them we DO NOT deserve a national championship. i mean as much as i would love to see the stands half empty after the first quarter of an automatic victory over la monroe no one would ever forget a victory over the mighty USC trojans. but as long as we continue to live in fear of what the media might say about us if we lose, we will never be a dominant football power.

145383[/snapback]

What E V E R , It's the T I G E R S you freak...... :au::homer:

145400[/snapback]

I'm not sure what bothers me most. Their ignorance or their arrogance. Okay, its the arrogance.

Archived