Football Movie to See

LegalEagle

I watched it yesterday on DVD. It's a decent movie with a few technical flaws football wise. It's Billy Bob Thornton's weakest performance ever.

That said, it really makes you think about the Monday morning QBs and now chat experts. It also shows the strain winning is on kids who are in fact just kids.

It shows how others try to live vicariously throught these young men. It shows the pressure coaches work under.

In the movie, a flip of a coin, basically determines whether the coach stays or goes.

After watching that movie, I may never criticize an AU coach or player again. (I don't do much of that anyway.) However, I will reserve to critique the BammerBoobs, their coaches and players forever!!

If you haven't seen it, it's worth the rental.

WAR EAGLE!

I highly recomend the book. I bought and read it before I knew about the movie being made. It's fascinating. The movie is really good imo. The music is great, done by a band from TX called Explosions in the Sky. The movie covered only a small piece of what was discussed in the book. Deffinately get the book and read it. It's worth it whether you like the movie or not.

Sorry, but , most pathetic sports movie EVER ! ! !

A complete waste of time.

Guest Tigrinum Major

There was a follow-up to the book in SI when the movie came out. The author caught a lot of flak when the book was published and he went back to the town after all these years to try to mend some wounds.

He caught up with the running back that blew his knee out. Sad story, bounces from job to job, had his legal troubles, etc.

If you can grab a copy of the Sports Illustrated, it is worth the time.

2 stars out of a possible 5.

I agree with Legal, some of the story's message points are sad but true and happen all to often.......not only in the great state of Texas.

I think some of you may be missing my point. I never said it was a good movie. I said it is a football movie that football fans ought to see. It gives a glimpse of the negative issues involved in football.

I still think NO football movie can ever measure up to "Varsity Blues (High School Football)" or "The Program (College Football)". Now "Waterboy" was Freakin' hilarious, but in football sense it doesn't measure up........IMO, of course. :big:

Read the book, you get all of the storyline from the town and racial tensions.

The book pissed plenty of people off when it came out, and it also mentions why one of the players went to UTenn. (Gotta read to the end for that.)

I decided never to see another billy bob movie after I finally talked myself into seeing bad santa. One of the crappiest movies ever.

145869[/snapback]

I got a few chuckles from it, but it was about as dark and profane as I've seen a mainstream movie be.

Fargo is a great dark comedy type movie. I won't say I didn't chuckle once or twice, but I felt like I needed a shower after that movie(bad santa).

145873[/snapback]

It was extremely crude and cynical. I was surprised it did as well as it did.

Fargo is a great dark comedy type movie. I won't say I didn't chuckle once or twice, but I felt like I needed a shower after that movie(bad santa).

145873[/snapback]

It was extremely crude and cynical. I was surprised it did as well as it did.

145877[/snapback]

1. Christmas theme

2. Trailers hid the depth of the darkness

3. beely bob and some bought off critics.

I formally apologize for starting this thread.

145903[/snapback]

You're a lawyer, I'm sure you've done much worse things! :lol:;)

146069[/snapback]

None that I would admit! *grin*

Yes, that is where so many people screw up. They admit it! :lol:

All it takes is a little pressure "listen sonny, we'll go easier on ya if you just tell us what happened" :huh: and out come the beans. :lol:

Archived