Who Owns Healthcare?

TexasTiger

25 minutes ago, homersapien said:

No, this is not an "ideal" world which is why I acknowledged many polls are designed to do they things you refer to.

But I think it's important to acknowledge that's not universally true and their are many polls which provide useful, objective and valid information. 

Polls that are designed to influence instead of collecting aren't really polls to start with.  They are frauds.

It's fine to be cynical of polls, but trust me, there are plenty of people willing to invest in polling simply for the information a valid poll can provide.

We are basically on the same page. I am just pointing out that just because a poll taken on a subject , the results may or may not tell us anything important. Whenever I see a poll , I usually like to look at the questions that were asked before drawing any conclusions about what the poll purports to tell us. :dunno:

9 hours ago, AU64 said:

We are basically on the same page. I am just pointing out that just because a poll taken on a subject , the results may or may not tell us anything important. Whenever I see a poll , I usually like to look at the questions that were asked before drawing any conclusions about what the poll purports to tell us. :dunno:

So do you think this poll at least accurately captures that a majority of the public views healthcare in the hands of Republicans?

22 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

So do you think this poll at least accurately captures that a majority of the public views healthcare in the hands of Republicans?

Guess I'm not sure what "in the hands of Republicans" really means.    Maybe that's a sign that most people recognize that the ACA is a failure and it's the responsibility of the GOP to come up with a solution.  I can accept that.  Since the Reps control Congress and the Exec branch I think that's a reasonable interpretation.

I'm saying ....that when a poll question is asked, it's difficult to know how people interpret it.   That old question.... "Is the country moving in the right direction" for example is totally meaningless in understanding what people want for their future.   Same thing with the poll being discussed. 

All it says to me is that many people see that some change in the ACA is necessary (even Dems know that ) and the GOP is the party in position to make it happen since the Dems have withdrawn from the discussion.   What we see right  now is that people can't agree on what "change" looks like.  Trusting that nobody is really surprised that people have different (and strong) views of what changes should be made.  And of course there are a great many people who are totally clueless about the financial house of cards that is Obamacare and will oppose change as long as their doctor bills are gettiing paid by somebody...or they can find subsidized insurance.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Guess I'm not sure what "in the hands of Republicans" really means.    Maybe that's a sign that most people recognize that the ACA is a failure and it's the responsibility of the GOP to come up with a solution. 

Well, that explains why you don't like polls.

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Well, that explains why you don't like polls.

Polls have nothing to do with that...though perhaps I should have said that most people with any understanding of the economics of the program..know its a failure currently in a death spiral. 

Though there are many people who think as long as someone else is paying the bills, it's a good plan....just as long as it is "free" they will fight for it to the bitter end.

Like I said earlier....take a poll to ask people if Pluto is a planet.....does not matter what the polls say....it is what it is. ...which apparently according to astronomers these days....it is not a planet....who knew....I grew up listing it among the nine planets that revolved around out sun....and damn, someone now says it's not a planet but a dwarf planet. 

Asking people what they think about something they know nothing about is a waste of time and their opinions are worthless ...except at the ballot box. JMO

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

Polls have nothing to do with that...though perhaps I should have said that most people with any understanding of the economics of the program..know its a failure currently in a death spiral. 

Though there are many people who think as long as someone else is paying the bills, it's a good plan....just as long as it is "free" they will fight for it to the bitter end.

Like I said earlier....take a poll to ask people if Pluto is a planet.....does not matter what the polls say....it is what it is. ...which apparently according to astronomers these days....it is not a planet....who knew....I grew up listing it among the nine planets that revolved around out sun....and damn, someone now says it's not a planet but a dwarf planet. 

Asking people what they think about something they know nothing about is a waste of time and their opinions are worthless ...except at the ballot box. JMO

Please provide economic data.

Archived