Backup QB

weagle06

It’s not so much their speed as the speed of being able to speed up and slow down. They have the ability to juke the defender and make them mis-calculate their approach.that is why they rarely take a hard hit.

1 minute ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

It’s not so much their speed as the speed of being able to speed up and slow down. They have the ability to juke the defender and make them mis-calculate their approach.

True.....and Nick was maybe 2 or 3 years older than Willis....had the advantage of much more high level football...one SEC season and a JUCO season.....and that experience is worth a lot. .   Willis might get to where Nick was ....but he's not there yet...JMO

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

True.....and Nick was maybe 2 or 3 years older than Willis....had the advantage of much more high level football...one SEC season and a JUCO season.....and that experience is worth a lot. .   Willis might get to where Nick was ....but he's not there yet...JMO

I agree about experience but I think Willis has more natural ability than NM had. I think that was the reason NM went to uga as a DB and then to juco to hone his abilities. I think from what I’ve seen of Willis’s arm he is a better thrower also. Now the question is does he have that Alpha mentality that Nick had? So far I think he has. He is a guy that wants the ball in his hand when the game is in the line.

On October 22, 2017 at 10:32 PM, tbone1430 said:

I just don't understand how as a coach you don't want to give your backup the opportunities to run the whole offense to get more comfortable and accustomed to it. Oh wait I forgot we still had Gustav as our coach... Just to give comparison the turds backup has attempted 42 passes. Even Penn St. backup has 17 attempts. We have 6 attempts for 8 yards, with one of them being a glorified handoff that went for a td. Have to get reps to get better. I'm excited seeing the wheels he has brings back fond memories of marshall.

I agree. When we are up that big, I think he should have a few designed throws to attempt. For crying out loud, it is obvious the kid can run, but he also needs chances to at least work on the short game with over the middle throws. That's how confidence is built by a young QB. The TD pass he was credited w vs. Ark was really no more than a glorified shuttle pass. It's obvious. GM does not build QB's. The ones that win despite his pathetic play calling, win on their own talent and merit.  

4 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I agree about experience but I think Willis has more natural ability than NM had. I think that was the reason NM went to uga as a DB and then to juco to hone his abilities. I think from what I’ve seen of Willis’s arm he is a better thrower also. Now the question is does he have that Alpha mentality that Nick had? So far I think he has. He is a guy that wants the ball in his hand when the game is in the line.

Boy I sure don't know about that.  NIck was a cornerback as a freshman at Georgia and had been an all state basketball player in HS.  I'm thinking that NM was one of the best natural athletes to play at AU in many years....playing QB was just a stop along the way for him.  

Hoping Willis turns out to be even 90% the athlete that NM was....if so, he's gonna do really well.

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Boy I sure don't know about that.  NIck was a cornerback as a freshman at Georgia and had been an all state basketball player in HS.  I'm thinking that NM was one of the best natural athletes to play at AU in many years....playing QB was just a stop along the way for him.  

Hoping Willis turns out to be even 90% the athlete that NM was....if so, he's gonna do really well.

I didn’t say better Athlete I said more natural ability. As I stated I think he is a better thrower. Nick could throw it a mile is why those long passes worked. But his short and intermediate passes were not great. Hence he plays DB in the NFL. Don’t get me wrong NM is my hero. 

5 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

NM was a 4.5 guy MW is a 4.4 guy

That surprises me, thought NM looked faster. Thanks

4 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

from what I’ve seen of Willis’s arm he is a better thrower

That is what I think too. He did look good in the A-Day game. 

I too think NM looks quite a bit quicker than MW. It's not just running down the sideline, as that is not always a choice, but it is about making cuts when needed. MW will improve and learn as he gets more opportunities. 

14 minutes ago, Deemer 47 said:

I too think NM looks quite a bit quicker than MW. It's not just running down the sideline, as that is not always a choice, but it is about making cuts when needed. MW will improve and learn as he gets more opportunities. 

This is it. It is like those who say Will Hastings is the fastest guy on the team. Fastest is debatable, quickest is not.

Nick looks quicker than Willis, because NM could cut and move so fast. I think MW has faster straight-line speed.

what makes me sick is we are not really developing Willis.  If Stidham goes down on the next play, Willis has passed what, less than 4 times?  That is a truly a guess.  That isn't much development.   I know he is raw, but doggone, does he have to hand it off 3 times and run it twice before he is allowed to throw a pass?  

I think M Willis needs his development sped up, just in case.  

1 hour ago, meh130 said:

Nick looks quicker than Willis, because NM could cut and move so fast. I think MW has faster straight-line speed.

Go back and watch the ark drive. MW cut on a dime a few times. I was very impressed. 

1 hour ago, Deemer 47 said:

Nick had better field vision because of his experience. But again go back and watch some film and you will see it was Nick’s ability to stutter step the make defenders miss. Just like Will Hastings . As I said before that’s why being smaller is not a big deal. They rarely get a solid hit against them.

I agree. MW needs to be throwing a few balls even in mop up duty. If JS gets hurt, it will be the same look as 2nd half lsu debacle! 16 or 17 straight runs. AU has been up at least twice recentky to allow MW to get in and attempt some throws.  AU finally has a good D, but now the O appears predictable. We won't fool GA or UA on D and who knows about A&M?  Thoughts? 

Archived