Ten Commandments on trial

Tigermike

Ten Commandments on trial

The Supreme Court is hearing oral arguments today in two cases (neither involving Roy Moore) regarding whether displaying the Ten Commandments on public property violates the First Amendment.

I have several thoughts on this. I was not against the monument being displayed in the Ala Supreme Court Building but I think Judge Roy Moore made a mockery of everything.

Amendment I - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I don't see how having a monument of the Ten Commandments establishes any religion nor does it force any particular religion on anyone. English law was based on the Ten Commandments and US law is based on English law and the Ten Commandments.

Displaying a monument of the Ten Commandments is merely acknowledging where our law came from.

What do you think? What are your thoughts.

Guess who's behind the lawsuit of the Ten Commandments?? The American Civil Liberties Union.

I don't think that the Ten Commandments established a religion, and I don't think it's a violation of church and state. You can agree or disagree with it. I mean people decide that whether they want to obey the law or break the law. That's their choice.

If a copy of a bible is located anywhere in the Judicial Building, isn't that a violation of church and state?

The judges make their own INTERPRETATION of this law.

Nothing in this law is specific. I consider it vague.

I do think Roy Moore blew the situation WAY out of porportion.

Archived