Computer Question

MDM4AU

I have a Compaq Armada E500 laptop. It is probably 5-6 years old. I just did a clean/delete install of Windows XP and Office XP. Everything works fine now but I am having trouble with the battery.

When check the status of the battery, it shows 100% charged. But, when I unplug the laptop, it shuts off and will not turn on until I plug it back in. My wife says she doesn't recall that being an issue before, though she hasn't used it in a few months.

Is this a bad battery or did I miss a driver or something when I installed the new system, etc.? Is this a setting I need to adjust?

Have you double checked to make sure the battery is fully clicked into place?

149805[/snapback]

Yeah, I even removed it and put it back in.

This is an old article, but it may be of interest to you:

Compaq recalls batteries

You might want to call and see if the offer is still good.

149807[/snapback]

The numbers don't match. It may have already been exchanged by BCBS when this LT belonged to them.

I don't know. I don't believe installing XP would do anything to the battery. I haven't found anything on the web about battery issues after installing XP either. It sounds like in the time that this notebook sat idle, the battery died on you.

You can get one for about $50-60 on eBay. Other than that, I don't know what to tell you except to shut off the computer, make sure the battery is clicked fully in place, charge it for a few hours, then unplug and try to boot up just using the battery.

I don't know.  I don't believe installing XP would do anything to the battery.  I haven't found anything on the web about battery issues after installing XP either.  It sounds like in the time that this notebook sat idle, the battery died on you.

You can get one for about $50-60 on eBay.  Other than that, I don't know what to tell you except to shut off the computer, make sure the battery is clicked fully in place, charge it for a few hours, then unplug and try to boot up just using the battery.

149811[/snapback]

I'll try that now and let you know how it does.

One of the laptops one of my coworkers owns had a problem just like this, and it was solved by buying a new battery.

Your battery might have quit storing charge. I've seen it before, many times. Batteries just die sometimes.

Archived