ANOTHER Gamecock FB player arrested

TitanTiger

This does not reflect well on Coach Holtz. He must have really been slipping late in his career.

This does not reflect well on Coach Holtz. He must have really been slipping late in his career.

151345[/snapback]

Absolutely. Can anyone say "lack of institutional control"?

I can't believe this. I had so much respect for Coach Holtz. I guess he was all about win win win, at the end, which apparently these guys couldn't do either.

Just another reason I am thankful to be an Auburn Tiger!!! :au::cheer::au::cheer::au::cheer::au::cheer::au::cheer::au::cheer::au::cheer::au::cheer:

Wait a minute - why bash Lou? They didn't do this crap while he was coach, but after he retired. They did not act like this while he was still their coach - they are being arrested NOW.

Sorry, but I will always love the little Goober Man.

Wait a minute - why bash Lou?  They didn't do this crap while he was coach, but after he retired.  They did not act like this while he was still their coach - they are being arrested NOW.

Sorry, but I will always love the little Goober Man.

151360[/snapback]

Did you not see the brawl during the Clemson game? He was on the sideline for that one. (or should I say ringside? :P )

It is obvious he was not recruiting high character kids.

Did you not see the brawl during the Clemson game? He was on the sideline for that one. (or should I say ringside?  :P )

151373[/snapback]

That one incident aside, unless there was some kind of massive cover-up and conspiracy, they did NOT act like this thru-out the season, only after he announced he was done. Maybe they were good actors and shined him on, but I just don't see Lou as a Bobby Bowden "look the other way" kind of recruiter. He never had these problems at Notre Dame.

I've lost count............ how many Gamecocks have been arrested of late?

You have to agree that Notre Dame is a different kind of school than South Carolina. He really got control of his team during his first year. I don't know what happened. The fight was really the first incident. Hard to say that he LOST CONTROL of his team.

For all that goes, you can say Tommy Bowden has lost control of his team or Bobby Bowden, or Frank Beamer. :poke::poke::poke::poke::poke:

Holtz was a good coach, but he was finding it harder to coach in this modern day.

Bear Bryant would be ran off if he coached today, same goes with Shug Jordan.

I mean how many coaches smoke during practice these days. Joe Paterno is finding it hard.

Bobby Bowden plays players just days after they are arrested. So does Phillip Fulmer.

i think it's either insane or incredibly niave to think these kids just started acting like this within the last 3 months. come on now. if you've been a good kid your whole life, you're not going to just start a riot when your coach walks out the door. lou recruited all these guys, and he was there when it all came to a head. you can't throw the fight out. it was the ugliest incident in college football last year. he lost control, and spurrier's cleaning up the mess.

These are character issues. These are the kids Holtz recruited to represent South Carolina as student/athletes. We all sing the praises of CTT and the "Character" of the players he brings in. I doubt they'd go crazy and all start getting arrested and kicked off the team if CTT decided to leave. If they had character before Holtz recruited them, they have it now. They didn't become criminals and problems because Lou retired. Let's not forget that Granny Clampitt doesn't have the most stellar record himself. Notre Dame ain't the only place he coached.

Another player arrested for theft? Some theiving @ss basta... on that team. But hey, if you get something stolen from you in Columbia, I think they all know where to look first..."Hey, hand me that '04 USC roster for a sec..need to check something." Hehe. :big:

Did you not see the brawl during the Clemson game? He was on the sideline for that one. (or should I say ringside?  :P )

151373[/snapback]

That one incident aside, unless there was some kind of massive cover-up and conspiracy, they did NOT act like this thru-out the season, only after he announced he was done. Maybe they were good actors and shined him on, but I just don't see Lou as a Bobby Bowden "look the other way" kind of recruiter. He never had these problems at Notre Dame.

151378[/snapback]

I think that might have been due to the fact that he was at Notre Dame. When he coached there, quality kids wanted to attend the program. He could find great atheltes that also had a good reputation to go there.

When he signed on at S. Carolina, he had to resort to signing good athletes that might not have had as good of reputation. Maybe this was because he wanted to prove he was a great coach at any university, so he risked signing lesser quality kids.

This is just a guess, but I respected what he did at Notre Damne, however I was very disapointed in what he turned to at USC.

No doubt it reflects badly on USC, but you've gotta' give credit to CSS.....he's establishing a strong foundation of discipline, one that sends a positive message to the parents of future recruits.

151503[/snapback]

Hey, don't give Spawn of Satan the credit for getting rid of those guys - like he had a choice! It's hard to play football if you are serving time for armed burgulary. That was pretty much a no-brainer decision.

Ok, so maybe Coach Lou recruited some guys with questionable character - then WHY are they JUST NOW acting out, now that he is gone? My point is not to say he recruited nothing but the finest kids of stellar moral character, but you have to say that none of this crap happened while he was ACTIVELY coaching the team, other than the Clemson brawl. Even if they had character issues, he kept them under control, or so it seems.

I was just listening to a bit of an interview on Max Howell's show with the USC athletic director. He said the last 2 months have been tough with all this stuff happening and said they're just beginning spring practice. Said there'll be 4-6 players that won't be on their roster because of criminal conduct.

but you have to say that none of this crap happened while he was ACTIVELY coaching the team, other than the Clemson brawl. Even if they had character issues, he kept them under control, or so it seems.

actually, I believe the computer thefts and the trophy-case break-ins occurred in the days following the announcement that USC would voluntarily forgoe it's bowl game......while still under Holtz.

Archived