Starbucks and Racial Profiling

DKW 86

2 hours ago, stoic-one said:

That's rich. They "apologized" because they were afraid of looking bad to the very people they supposedly advocate for. And yet they still aren't planning on changing their loitering rules...  I think it's funny as hell.

Here's an interesting story:  https://www.dailywire.com/news/29625/walsh-story-starbucks-entitlement-not-racism-matt-walsh

Matt Walsh is a a right wing religious voice who thinks colleges have a liberal agenda, education without the Bible isn’t education and that the TV show Roseanne is left wing. Sorry but I don’t find his article intersting.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, GiveEmElle said:

Matt Walsh is a a right wing religious voice who thinks colleges have a liberal agenda, education without the Bible isn’t education and that the TV show Roseanne is left wing. Sorry but I don’t find his article intersting.

Mkay, well I really don't care if you find it interesting or even recognize there may actually be a few facts being stated, that's not why I posted it. :poke:

Have a nice day.

Walsh's facts, or rather the facts he gathered from other blogs, are a bit off.  It was revealed that the men walked into the establishment at 4:35 and sat down.  The 911 call to the police is logged as coming in at 4:37.  Literally two minutes elapse from the moment they sit down before she's calling police and every patron in there is telling the cops the guys did nothing wrong.  There's simply no way this had a chance to escalate into something worthy of calling cops.

4 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

If the "system" truly benefits people with white skin, then the proponent of the statement should be able to point to a law. 

What utter BS this is.

Such as? 

Name something that does then. 

Seriously?   Click on any one of those links I provided. (I think they all address the same research.)

There is nothing - in the particular - that comprehensively defines or effects our culture.   :-\

If you have a point to make, I suggest you try a declarative sentence.  Or even two.

If the "system" truly benefits people with white skin, then the proponent of the statement should be able to point to a law. 

There was a time when the law, as written on paper, would apply to everyone - black, white or other - yet when the crime was between a white person and a black person the white person routinely got the benefit of the doubt regardless of whether they were the defendant or the plaintiff.  White juries were complicit in this uneven application of the law.  You couldn't always point to where in the law it showed how white people benefit, but nonetheless the benefit was real.

Are you suggesting that no benefits in a 'system' can be real unless they are inscribed in law?  Or are you asserting that it simply doesn't happen any longer?

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Are you suggesting that no benefits in a 'system' can be real unless they are inscribed in law?  Or are you asserting that it simply doesn't happen any longer?

I'm saying the such benefits, if truly systemic, would likely be reflected in the law. 

Just now, NolaAuTiger said:

I'm saying the such benefits, if truly systemic, would likely be reflected in the law. 

But as I pointed out, that's not always so.

On 4/18/2018 at 7:15 PM, channonc said:

Anyone who does not see this a glaring example of white privilege hasn't done some real reflection about their own experiences or our society at large. 

I will reflect. I worked by one of the busiest Starbucks in Austin and they asked people that were not ordering to leave all the time. Black, White, Latin, Indian, Native American, Asian. Didn't matter. There is also plenty of restaurants here that have signs that state you will not be seated without your full party.

I'm white and have been told bathrooms are for customer use more than once, you can stay if your order, if you don't please leave.  I left. What I was taught to do and is the respectful thing to do.

The one time I did test something like this was in high school and we refused the managers request. They called the cops on us and had us removed, we didn't refuse the cops orders. Manager that kicked us out was black.

Before moving to Austin I was pulled out of a line of speeding vehicles on 85 near Tuskegee, only white driver and the trooper was black.

I worked inside sales for a bit that was commission based. Negotiations involved. More than once was I accused of treating blacks different in pricing by consumers, and had racial terms used toward me. Sorry... Commission>Skin color.

I was at an HEB the other day when they opened up a new lane. White woman that had been waiting started moving over with her kids, black woman comes rushing up super fast from the aisles, almost knocks over the little kids, and before the white woman can say anything the black woman says "guess you think you should be first cause you're white?"

I'm more than happy to reflect. I will show you some instances of white privilege, I will also show instances where not being white is used in a power move.

While we are reflecting, why are we not tearing down monuments to the Buffalo Soldiers? If you search for their writings involving the Comanches they refer to them as naked savages, redskins, Voodoo N#$#$#$#, Red N^*#*#((#, and go to parties dressed as squaws. Active participants in the murder, rape, and attempted holocaust of a people.

I'm good with equality as long as equality means equality for all parties regardless of gender, color, religion, age.

6 hours ago, GiveEmElle said:

The thing that some of the right crew seem to be missing is that STARBUCKS APOLOGIZED. They are closing 8k stores for racial bias training. They admitted the actions were wrong so why speculate on whether the black men were refusing to order or taking seats that other customers needed? Perhaps because it’s easier for white people to believe that the black men were in the wrong rather than a white employee in an overpriced coffee store that profits off vanity? 

Hate to say it but in this day and age regardless of how Starbucks feels that is the right move for publicity. You can not take a stand on actions like that in America today if the motive is believed to be racial motivated.

Like that Hispanic girl that played soccer at GSU. She posted "I passed N*&*&!!!!!" and one black girl comes out and says she doesn't feel safe. It was used in a pop culture way and not derogatory. She gets removed from the soccer team, people try to get her expelled, and the girl leaves on her own. It's the easy play.

The school then releases a statement about that type of language will not be tolerated by students at GSU. Cause that is what they are expected to do. Now do you think during the past year no black athlete has said or posted anything with the N word in it and enforced that policy on them?

You think GSU could come out and state we are supporting Ms. Minority Soccer player, and see no wrong in what she did. She used a term commonly used among our student athletes and in the same manner as those athletes. No attempts at harm or degrading took place. In the honor of equality all our athletes will be able to use this terms as long as it is not meant to harm or degrade. Our only other option is to tightly enforce this policy among out all students with equal punishment.

Like I said before no issue with equality.

1 hour ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I will reflect. I worked by one of the busiest Starbucks in Austin and they asked people that were not ordering to leave all the time. Black, White, Latin, Indian, Native American, Asian. Didn't matter. There is also plenty of restaurants here that have signs that state you will not be seated without your full party.

I'm white and have been told bathrooms are for customer use more than once, you can stay if your order, if you don't please leave.  I left. What I was taught to do and is the respectful thing to do.

The one time I did test something like this was in high school and we refused the managers request. They called the cops on us and had us removed, we didn't refuse the cops orders. Manager that kicked us out was black.

Before moving to Austin I was pulled out of a line of speeding vehicles on 85 near Tuskegee, only white driver and the trooper was black.

I worked inside sales for a bit that was commission based. Negotiations involved. More than once was I accused of treating blacks different in pricing by consumers, and had racial terms used toward me. Sorry... Commission>Skin color.

I was at an HEB the other day when they opened up a new lane. White woman that had been waiting started moving over with her kids, black woman comes rushing up super fast from the aisles, almost knocks over the little kids, and before the white woman can say anything the black woman says "guess you think you should be first cause you're white?"

I'm more than happy to reflect. I will show you some instances of white privilege, I will also show instances where not being white is used in a power move.

While we are reflecting, why are we not tearing down monuments to the Buffalo Soldiers? If you search for their writings involving the Comanches they refer to them as naked savages, redskins, Voodoo N#$#$#$#, Red N^*#*#((#, and go to parties dressed as squaws. Active participants in the murder, rape, and attempted holocaust of a people.

I'm good with equality as long as equality means equality for all parties regardless of gender, color, religion, age.

I could write a book like this myself. Then I’d be an a**hole. I refrain

5 minutes ago, homersapien said:

What do you mean by "this"?  

I mean white people cannot  constantly play the race card to get their way. That is black privilege. I have seen it a number of times and it seems to be increasing. When you hear a friend threatening to use the race card and then privately admit racism wasn’t even the case. You see it, you know it, you’re sometimes negatively affected by it but you can’t say anything about it. I guess that’s reparation in a way. 

3 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Hate to say it but in this day and age regardless of how Starbucks feels that is the right move for publicity. You can not take a stand on actions like that in America today if the motive is believed to be racial motivated.

Like that Hispanic girl that played soccer at GSU. She posted "I passed N*&*&!!!!!" and one black girl comes out and says she doesn't feel safe. It was used in a pop culture way and not derogatory. She gets removed from the soccer team, people try to get her expelled, and the girl leaves on her own. It's the easy play.

The school then releases a statement about that type of language will not be tolerated by students at GSU. Cause that is what they are expected to do. Now do you think during the past year no black athlete has said or posted anything with the N word in it and enforced that policy on them?

You think GSU could come out and state we are supporting Ms. Minority Soccer player, and see no wrong in what she did. She used a term commonly used among our student athletes and in the same manner as those athletes. No attempts at harm or degrading took place. In the honor of equality all our athletes will be able to use this terms as long as it is not meant to harm or degrade. Our only other option is to tightly enforce this policy among out all students with equal punishment.

Like I said before no issue with equality.

I agree that it was the right move. As for publicity, I’m not sure. Read this thread. There are people willing to blame the black men and defend Starbucks actions. 

As for the GSU athlete, schools hold athletes to higher standards. My daughter is a cheerleader so her social media is monitored by her coach. Her fellow classmates and non athletes are not. 

14 minutes ago, alexava said:

I mean white people cannot  constantly play the race card to get their way. That is black privilege. I have seen it a number of times and it seems to be increasing. When you hear a friend threatening to use the race card and then privately admit racism wasn’t even the case. You see it, you know it, you’re sometimes negatively affected by it but you can’t say anything about it. I guess that’s reparation in a way. 

Okay.......

Do you have any idea about why others may think you are an a**hole for such sentiments?

17 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Okay.......

Do you have any idea about why others may think you are an a**hole for such sentiments?

Because they probably grew up in all white schools and lived in all or mostly white communities and worked in fields with almost exclusively white colleagues and were never exposed to this ugly part of reality like i have been. So they prefer to think it doesn't happen. I let them have their opinions and mistaken theories. Like i said I'm not the a**hole.

30 minutes ago, GiveEmElle said:

I agree that it was the right move. As for publicity, I’m not sure. Read this thread. There are people willing to blame the black men and defend Starbucks actions. 

As for the GSU athlete, schools hold athletes to higher standards. My daughter is a cheerleader so her social media is monitored by her coach. Her fellow classmates and non athletes are not. 

They held ONE athlete to a higher standard based on her race. Unless you believe that no other athletes at GSU have used the N word.

I'm sorry. If those guys came in, were asked to buy something or leave and refused then I don't have a problem. I have been in the same situation and I complied.

Like I said elsewhere, I have seen Starbucks as people of all walks of life to leave, and many restaurants here have you will not be seated without your full party signs.

Then the comedian even shows the compliance by going in for the free coffee cause he is black.

11 minutes ago, alexava said:

Because they probably grew up in all white schools and lived in all or mostly white communities and worked in fields with almost exclusively white colleagues and were never exposed to this ugly part of reality like i have been. So they prefer to think it doesn't happen. I let them have their opinions and mistaken theories. Like i said I'm not the a**hole.

So, in other words, they have an idealistic concept of black people and they don't know what they are really like?

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

So, in other words, they have an idealistic concept of black people and they don't know what blacks are really like?

You are trying to paint with a broad brush there Homer. 

3 minutes ago, alexava said:

I did attend Catholic School K-12........grew up in all white neighborhood..........I also remeber actual klan members marching in southern cities as well as both black and white having a real fear of the dixie mafia...

In my honest opinion I dont believe the Starbucks incident was racist..........If there is evidence to the contrary, I shall stand corrected.

1 minute ago, kevon67 said:

I did attend Catholic School K-12........grew up in all white neighborhood..........I also remeber actual klan members marching in southern cities as well as both black and white having a real fear of the dixie mafia...

In my honest opinion I dont believe the Starbucks incident was racist..........If there is evidence to the contrary, I shall stand corrected.

I think it very well could have been. But like already mentioned, i don't recall going into a restaurant and taking up space without purchasing something. If i did and was asked to leave, i would leave. If not and i was then arrested, it would not make the local news. That is the problem. Either this CEO actually thinks race played a part in the whole thing OR he is going with the flow to NOT be the a**hole. He is doing the right thing either way. That is just how it is.

13 minutes ago, alexava said:

I agree with what you in your post before this one. Advantages are being made and used because they can be. It has become an increasing trend.

What I see is more among younger people. They want to be these social warriors and prove they stand for equality so much that they bite on everything and become pushovers. They are then offended when someone stands their ground and immediately attack that person. Course their favorite move is to tape you and then trash you on social media, never actually engaging you.

That girl at Starbucks is a prime example. She was ready to give him anything he wanted without a clue if that was policy, and then agreed with everything he said.

Wont be long before no shoes, no shirt, no service signs will trigger someone

Would get sent home from school if you were out of uniform............shirt untucked straight to office.....

There was a time you had to wear a collard shirt to go to the driving range......

It's quite simple.......follow the rules or suffer the consequences..

Archived