Starbucks and Racial Profiling

DKW 86

12 minutes ago, homersapien said:

That's how it came across to me.  How was I wrong?

You seem to go with the same side of the aisle every time this subject is breached. I think i'm fairly split on it. I've seen racism up real close. I have hurt for both friends and strangers whose only fault was their appearance. I have been the minority too. However in small places for short periods of time. Racism can go both ways. It is always going to be there to an extent. But believe it or not there are things that go against people all the time that has nothing to do with race. Black people can claim racism and have these things reversed. Some do. Not all or even most.(hence the broad brush...) But until you find yourself or a close relative on the losing end of one of these ordeals,  you will choose the same side every time. I don't let it drive me to hate. Not even close. I don't even get mad. It doesn't polarize me to try to think that's always the case. But i can call it like i see it. I just usually call it to myself. Actually it's hard to determine who is worse, the guy who thinks racism is not a problem or the guy who doesn't ever see that card played nefariously.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Walsh's facts, or rather the facts he gathered from other blogs, are a bit off.  It was revealed that the men walked into the establishment at 4:35 and sat down.  The 911 call to the police is logged as coming in at 4:37.  Literally two minutes elapse from the moment they sit down before she's calling police and every patron in there is telling the cops the guys did nothing wrong.  There's simply no way this had a chance to escalate into something worthy of calling cops.

This 100X

To me it's pretty simply an overreaction, or rather a series of them.

On the part of that particular starbucks; the police call was made extremely quickly... racism on the part of the 911 caller was probably the motivation for that quickness.

On the part of Starbucks as a whole, it was an overreaction by them;  I've been in a lot of starbucks over the years and can't remember anything overtly racist happening... but the owner acts as if this isn't a local issue by one store, but rather something he needs to speak on, apologize for, and send every employee to "training" for.

And lastly an overreaction of the sorrowful white people; claiming racism played a part in this is simply calling a spade a spade, and cool with me. Claiming that white people could never get in trouble for chilling in a business without being a customer is a laughable overreaction.

Can't really blame the cops for their part in this, and it's cool that no one really is. Once the call is made they gotta do their job, regardless of if the call was racially motivated or not.

On 4/20/2018 at 8:56 PM, Texan4Auburn said:

They held ONE athlete to a higher standard based on her race. Unless you believe that no other athletes at GSU have used the N word.

I'm sorry. If those guys came in, were asked to buy something or leave and refused then I don't have a problem. I have been in the same situation and I complied.

Like I said elsewhere, I have seen Starbucks as people of all walks of life to leave, and many restaurants here have you will not be seated without your full party signs.

Then the comedian even shows the compliance by going in for the free coffee cause he is black.

So Starbucks is closing 8k stores even though they were in the right? Sorry, not buying it. 

8 hours ago, GiveEmElle said:

So Starbucks is closing 8k stores even though they were in the right? Sorry, not buying it. 

Doesn't matter if they were right and that is my point. There is only one way out.

What do you think will financially hit them harder? Closing down for one day, or the repercussions in this day and age if they fought this. You bend over, pucker up, and take the hit to protect your public image. They stand up for that employee they will get boycotts from those convinced it was racism, they will get more protests across the country and lose business cause people won't want to deal or have time for that mess.

I don't believe Starbucks would sacrifice a full days worth of sold product, pay for employee training in wages, along with the costs of instructors and materials, and then "mutually agree" to part ways with the manager either if she was completely in the wrong.

It's a PR move that reduces losses in the long term, the manager most likely walked with sufficiently more than her yearly salary, and you will probably see a bump in prices to quickly recover the lost day. In fact Millennial's love organizations that appear sustainable to environments, humans, or animals. I don't have the ability to pull the article cause I no longer have academic access, but nearly 70% of them will gladly spend more money at businesses that give sustainable appearances vs those that don't. Starbucks won't even have to justify a cost increase to recuperate that day.

The Mob Rules.

6 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Doesn't matter if they were right and that is my point. There is only one way out.

What do you think will financially hit them harder? Closing down for one day, or the repercussions in this day and age if they fought this. You bend over, pucker up, and take the hit to protect your public image. They stand up for that employee they will get boycotts from those convinced it was racism, they will get more protests across the country and lose business cause people won't want to deal or have time for that mess.

I don't believe Starbucks would sacrifice a full days worth of sold product, pay for employee training in wages, along with the costs of instructors and materials, and then "mutually agree" to part ways with the manager either if she was completely in the wrong.

It's a PR move that reduces losses in the long term, the manager most likely walked with sufficiently more than her yearly salary, and you will probably see a bump in prices to quickly recover the lost day. In fact Millennial's love organizations that appear sustainable to environments, humans, or animals. I don't have the ability to pull the article cause I no longer have academic access, but nearly 70% of them will gladly spend more money at businesses that give sustainable appearances vs those that don't. Starbucks won't even have to justify a cost increase to recuperate that day.

The Mob Rules.

Just trying not to be the a**hole!

On 4/24/2018 at 11:26 PM, Texan4Auburn said:

The Mob Rules.

I understand the idea of a PR move but I don’t agree that this is it. Their consumer group isn’t really the kind who care for equality. They are coffee drinkers paying ridiculous prices for a designer brand coffee. Don’t believe if? Get on social media and read all the complaints about how the closings are inconveniencing people. How are they going to make it without their salted caramel mocha frappachino with cream? 

44 minutes ago, GiveEmElle said:

I understand the idea of a PR move but I don’t agree that this is it. Their consumer group isn’t really the kind who care for equality. They are coffee drinkers paying ridiculous prices for a designer brand coffee. Don’t believe if? Get on social media and read all the complaints about how the closings are inconveniencing people. How are they going to make it without their salted caramel mocha frappachino with cream? 

Agreed. Starbucks is the enemy to a lot of the people that some are imagining to be their core customer. Those folks tend to choose small, independent coffee shops (with even higher prices). Speaking from experience here. 

PS- If anyone knows a small, independent coffee shop on Hilton Head that doesn't suck, holla at ya boy. 

5 hours ago, GiveEmElle said:

Stupid white ladies....

5 hours ago, GiveEmElle said:

I the articles about them. Guess what those same type of people care about also... their own image and their time. Which is why they are complaining, they got their schedules and this f'd with their time.  Do you think that doctors/nurses/administration that frequent the one by Dell's Children Hospital for example are going to waste their breaks fighting through protests to get coffee? You think they even want to be seen in a place that America has deemed unequal with zero remorse?  Dell Children's is big on image btw.

So if it isn't a PR move, and all their consumer group doesn't care about equality then why do it? Why spend all that money on everyone. Why piss off your consumer who doesn't care anyway?

Or maybe:

Starbucks’ sustainability bonds positions the company to deepen its appeal to millennial consumers, as young adults aged 18 to 24 account for 40% of the firm’s sales. According to research from the Center for Creative Leadership, millennials want to do both “good and well,” and there is going to be a tremendous generational transfer of wealth in the near future as baby boomers have just started to pass along their life savings to their heirs. The process will continue over the coming decades, and according to Accenture, some $30 trillion will be transferred from one generation to the next. Cultivating an image as a progressive firm in terms of its products and from an investment standpoint is a prudent strategy for Starbucks to be one of the companies to benefit from this coming seismic shift in wealth.

http://fortune.com/2016/05/21/starbucks-millennials-socially-responsible-investing/

Millennials care about sustainable issues, they will soon be the largest consumer group in the market, PR PR PR and don't burn that bridge.

And it doesn't matter if your rich or poor. The American consumer is me me me based with instant gratification needs.

Have any of you guys ever been to Manhattan? There's a Starbucks on nearly every corner. Its ridiculous - they could close down shop in all other places and still be at the top of their respective market. 

Yes, I am shooting from the hip. I have no empirical evidence to back this up. Anyone else familiar with Big Apple would probably understand why I believe this. 

6 hours ago, alexava said:

@McLoofus just get a Keruig single cup maker. I never buy coffee anymore. Dump a bait of sugar in it and its good to go.

Nooooooo those things create SO MUCH waste.

I make my own coffee the vast majority of the time. But sometimes it just tastes better when someone else does.

18 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I make my own coffee the vast majority of the time. But sometimes it just tastes better when someone else does.

Did you see Holden's bliss when he finally found the Roci's coffeemaker?

7 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Get a cold coffee brewer. You make your concentrate and it can sit in the refrigerator for a few weeks or on the counter for a week. Just add cold or hot water to your cup with the concentrate. It’s fantastic. 

Archived