Starbucks and Racial Profiling

DKW 86

25 minutes ago, stoic-one said:

As I understand things, the supervising officer on the scene and the police commissioner, who are both black, say this wasn't an issue of racism, just simple trespassing by two men who refused to leave, even at the officers request.

But I'll "reflect" if you insist...

Go ahead and be snarky, but our system benefits those who are white, not people of color. Again, 2 white guys would not have been arrested over this. They were guilty of nothing but sitting while black.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, channonc said:

Go ahead and be snarky, but our system benefits those who are white, not people of color. Again, 2 white guys would not have been arrested over this. They were guilty of nothing but sitting while black.

"Sitting while black", on private property.

I'll not make that mistake again, nope, no more snark for me, no sir.

As someone who checks the box marked other, I guess I'll just reflect, but perhaps you can tell me why these guys didn't de-escalate this situation.

I have no idea if 2 white guys would have been arrested given the same circumstances, because i wasnt there, neither were you. To a man, most all the cops I know would have arrested them though. And I know all manner of officers, black, white, hispanic, on and on. If an officer asks you to do something, he's really not asking....

15 minutes ago, stoic-one said:

As someone who checks the box marked other, I guess I'll just reflect, but perhaps you can tell me why these guys didn't de-escalate this situation.

I have no idea if 2 white guys would have been arrested given the same circumstances, because i wasnt there, neither were you. To a man, most all the cops I know would have arrested them though. And I know all manner of officers, black, white, hispanic, on and on. If an officer asks you to do something, he's really not asking....

17 minutes ago, stoic-one said:

Because of course the police never arrest POC without due cause. :-\

14 minutes ago, channonc said:

Because of course the police never arrest POC without due cause. :-\

Even I'm not silly enough to make that assertion, but mkay. And I'm not even sure if that's the case here, since the police say this wasn't a racial incident. Only Starbucks and a bunch of knee jerks are.

However,  I've seen plenty of whites arrested for refusing to leave a private property (businesses), plenty.

2 hours ago, stoic-one said:

As I understand things, the supervising officer on the scene and the police commissioner, who are both black, say this wasn't an issue of racism, just simple trespassing by two men who refused to leave, even at the officers request.

But I'll "reflect" if you insist...

WTF would you expect for the supervising officer and police commissioner to say?  :-\

If these had been white guys, the call wouldn't have been made.

9 minutes ago, homersapien said:

WTF would you expect for the supervising officer and police commissioner to say?  :-\

If these had been white guys, the call wouldn't have been made.

I get that, but I disagree with the assertion the police wouldn't have been called.

How long did this incident go on? Where exactly was the person these guys were supposed to meet? I'm genuinely just asking, I haven't seen any information on that part of the story.

6 minutes ago, stoic-one said:

I get that, but I disagree with the assertion the police wouldn't have been called.

How long did this incident go on? Where exactly was the person these guys were supposed to meet? I'm genuinely just asking, I haven't seen any information on that part of the story.

Correct, we don't know.  I'd like to know if they had customers waiting for seats (for example).

18 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Correct, we don't know.  I'd like to know if they had customers waiting for seats (for example).

Yeah, me too.

Tons of details no one is releasing, partially because it's become so politicized. 

10 hours ago, homersapien said:

As Salty said, my post was meant as a hyperbolic statement - sarcasm.  Sorry, I thought that was obvious.

Nevertheless, you have no standing to state it doesn't "happen enough" to influence how people - especially black people - might respond to such an incident as this.

According to the nations overreacting BS... shouldn't they have cooperated? Since there was a 99.9% chance the police run in blasting everyone 2 shades above Emma Stone?

8 hours ago, Mims44 said:

According to the nations overreacting BS... shouldn't they have cooperated? Since there was a 99.9% chance the police run in blasting everyone 2 shades above Emma Stone?

"Black people should follow black people rules, or else."

Solid take there, bro.

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

"Black people should follow black people rules, or else."

Solid take there, bro.

Maybe I should put in huge giant words: Sarcasm.

Solid take there, holmes.

12 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

Bathroom codes. A solution? Not so fast............

https://www.behance.net/gallery/36097793/Case-Study-Starbucks-Bathroom-Codes

Thx, I was about to ask about this. I don’t recall having to ask to use a restaurant restroom. New Orleans ( I went to the damn sugar bowl) was the only time in my life other than tailgating that I had trouble finding a place to relieve myself. 

30 minutes ago, alexava said:

Thx, I was about to ask about this. I don’t recall having to ask to use a restaurant restroom. New Orleans ( I went to the damn sugar bowl) was the only time in my life other than tailgating that I had trouble finding a place to relieve myself. 

Not sure about currently Alex...........from 85 to last visit 2004, was nearly impossible to enter restaurant just to use restroom........may have changed since then.

2 hours ago, Mims44 said:

Maybe I should put in huge giant words: Sarcasm.

Solid take there, holmes.

That 99.9% thing was a dead giveaway

7 hours ago, kevon67 said:

Not sure about currently Alex...........from 85 to last visit 2004, was nearly impossible to enter restaurant just to use restroom........may have changed since then.

I’m quite sure they would haul your white ass to jail if you tried to just hang out in any of those. 

37 minutes ago, alexava said:

I’m quite sure they would haul your white ass to jail if you tried to just hang out in any of those. 

Could be if you were wearing a red  MAGA tee shirt with Trump image on it....:)

52 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I would hope so. 

41 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Maybe they will shut down another day for that type of training. Scratch my head at publicizing this stuff. Another thing to do it quietly, internally, no fanfare. Does it only take one day? How many of the hourly employees will attend if studying for exams........

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/19/opinion/racial-bias-starbucks.html 

59 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

I would like to see the store video footage.

I think if Starbucks thought it would vindicate them or the manager, they'd produce it.

Archived