The problem with our political system

homersapien

At least he's up front about it.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mick-mulvaney-lobbyists-who-pay_us_5adfed8ee4b061c0bfa2c06d

Mick Mulvaney Admits He Spoke Only To Lobbyists Who Paid Him

Mick Mulvaney has been criticized for his cozy ties to the financial industry.

Mick Mulvaney, President Donald Trump’s budget director and the acting head of a top consumer watchdog group, raised eyebrows on Tuesday with an anecdote about his time in the House of Representatives.

“We had a hierarchy in my office in Congress,” he said at the American Bankers Association conference in Washington, according to The New York Times. “If you’re a lobbyist who never gave us money, I didn’t talk to you. If you’re a lobbyist who gave us money, I might talk to you.”

Mulvaney, a Republican who represented a South Carolina district from 2011 through early 2017, said he also spoke with constituents even if they hadn’t paid him. 

The newspaper reported that he was encouraging the industry to lobby lawmakers: 

“Mr. Mulvaney said that trying to sway legislators was one of the ‘fundamental underpinnings of our representative democracy. And you have to continue to do it.’”

He has come under fire for his cozy ties to the financial industry, especially payday lenders. As the Times noted, he collected $63,000 from such lenders. 

Since being named acting head of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau last year (in addition to running the Office of Management and Budget), he had not taken any enforcement actions against payday lenders, banks or other financial firms until last week’s $1 billion fine against Wells Fargo. 

He has also specifically moved to ease regulations on payday lenders.

During a Senate Banking Committee hearing earlier this month, someone dressed as Rich Uncle Pennybags (aka “The Monopoly Man”) sat behind him.  

yep, special interest money grants special laws to the payers,  and you just now figured this out?  The lobbyists are the disease in DC, and their payouts are the cause of crap laws..voted for  by out of touch  greedy, tax parasites (politicians)

On 4/25/2018 at 10:12 AM, homersapien said:

At least he's up front about it.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mick-mulvaney-lobbyists-who-pay_us_5adfed8ee4b061c0bfa2c06d

Mick Mulvaney Admits He Spoke Only To Lobbyists Who Paid Him

Mick Mulvaney has been criticized for his cozy ties to the financial industry.

Mick Mulvaney, President Donald Trump’s budget director and the acting head of a top consumer watchdog group, raised eyebrows on Tuesday with an anecdote about his time in the House of Representatives.

“We had a hierarchy in my office in Congress,” he said at the American Bankers Association conference in Washington, according to The New York Times. “If you’re a lobbyist who never gave us money, I didn’t talk to you. If you’re a lobbyist who gave us money, I might talk to you.”

Mulvaney, a Republican who represented a South Carolina district from 2011 through early 2017, said he also spoke with constituents even if they hadn’t paid him. 

The newspaper reported that he was encouraging the industry to lobby lawmakers: 

“Mr. Mulvaney said that trying to sway legislators was one of the ‘fundamental underpinnings of our representative democracy. And you have to continue to do it.’”

He has come under fire for his cozy ties to the financial industry, especially payday lenders. As the Times noted, he collected $63,000 from such lenders. 

Since being named acting head of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau last year (in addition to running the Office of Management and Budget), he had not taken any enforcement actions against payday lenders, banks or other financial firms until last week’s $1 billion fine against Wells Fargo. 

He has also specifically moved to ease regulations on payday lenders.

During a Senate Banking Committee hearing earlier this month, someone dressed as Rich Uncle Pennybags (aka “The Monopoly Man”) sat behind him.  

He’s up front about how DC works for everyone. Both parties.

This is very common. When I worked in D.C. I spent a lot of time on the Hill with lots of politicians.  When I would go see my own Senator Shelby the first thing he would say is "did you bring a check." He never seemed to realize civil servants can't bring checks. I voted for him early in his career but sure wouldn't any more.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/2/2018 at 11:31 AM, Proud Tiger said:

This is very common. When I worked in D.C. I spent a lot of time on the Hill with lots of politicians.  When I would go see my own Senator Shelby the first thing he would say is "did you bring a check." He never seemed to realize civil servants can't bring checks. I voted for him early in his career but sure wouldn't any more.

politicians are pure scum....

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 12:31 PM, Proud Tiger said:

He started party switching to serve his self intrest......that turned me off.

On 5/2/2018 at 11:28 AM, autigeremt said:

He’s up front about how DC works for everyone. Both parties.

Thank God Trump is draining the swamp!

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Thank God Trump is draining the swamp!

More like floating new turds lol

My buddy that shows up as a talking head on MSNBC 1-2X a month will tell you "off air" that "there is only one party in DC, THE PARTY OF $$$. It may have Left and Right Wings, but it is only one party." He is deeply involved in Environmental Issues. He is seeing that he is just getting lip service on what he considers to be Life-Death Issues from Both Parties if there is no money involved.

Archived