want o discuss confederate monuments?

aubiefifty

i grew up loving the rebel battle flag and used to draw it in school all the time. that and battle scenes from the alamo. . yes loved to doodle more than pay attention in class i guess. anyway i never got the flap over the monuments until a friend told me something. slaves were the major commodity of the southern economy right? these guys were abused, raped, murdered, taken from their families, and other things i am sure i have forgotten. now if this had happened to ANYONE or their family or even neighbors the normal result would be of outrage right? so here is the million dollar question. how would you feel if a society did this against you and then put monuments up and even state holidays celebrating the people did this?  you can say it is for the courage of confederate soldiers and things like that but how does one forget the dark side of murder and the rape of women and children? i feel the same way about the nazi's as well. until we wake up this will be something that continues to divide the country and keep the flames of racism burning brightly. and can we stay on topic and not deflect about how evil some black organizations might be? i am pretty sure folks of color have no state or national monuments around promoting hate. not that i know of anyway. and i understand being proud of soldiers that fought and died from the south often hungry and and many without shoes etc. Am i wrong to say i do not see a way out of this other than the screw them and let it alone. i am serious as i certainly do not know how to get past this. anyone else?

I think that confederate monuments and all other monuments are not worth more than the material used to create them. I don't care if we get rid of any monument that people find offensive, but we need to be ready for people to be offended by Mt. Rushmore and the statue of liberty. What if Muslims are offended by the 9/11 memorial? There is significant anti-Muslim sentiment as a result of 9/11.

Once again, get rid of the monuments. Fine But there is not a person alive today who was directly affected by a confederate soldier.

13 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i am pretty sure folks of color have no state or national monuments around promoting hate.

Depends on the eyes. I know in the Great Plains area these are considered offensive by many. Just like the last photo

buffone.jpg

bufftwo.jpg

buffthree.JPG

bufffour.jpg

custer.JPG

17 hours ago, Grumps said:

I think that confederate monuments and all other monuments are not worth more than the material used to create them. I don't care if we get rid of any monument that people find offensive, but we need to be ready for people to be offended by Mt. Rushmore and the statue of liberty. What if Muslims are offended by the 9/11 memorial? There is significant anti-Muslim sentiment as a result of 9/11.

Once again, get rid of the monuments. Fine But there is not a person alive today who was directly affected by a confederate soldier.

to be fair many people of color find them offensive. and racists still use the flag as part of their terror campaign........just like the nazi crap is intended to offend the jews.

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

to be fair many people of color find them offensive. and racists still use the flag as part of their terror campaign........just like the nazi crap is intended to offend the jews.

Just imagine what the future will be like when nothing that anyone finds offensive is allowable. We can all wear government issued clothes and listen to government approved radio and television programs and eat food approved be the government. There won't be any division at all in the country. I can't wait!

Obviously, I am being sarcastic. But I do think we need to be very careful not to go too far in pacifying people who are offended by things that do not directly affect them.

i agree we need some common sense. but there is no sense ramming it down certain folks throats. hell i want the world to heal but i want america to heal. i know we have racists in pretty much all races and cultures but we should focus on love and forgiveness. but that is just me.

My .02:

My family turned away from the "CBF" years ago. It has been adopted as s symbol of racism and hate. I dont care what you think about it.

The REAL CBF is not even used by these dimwits. They do not care about the real history etc, or even getting it correct. They want to use that flag as it is indeed a symbol of racism, etc. As said before, move or put the monuments into cemeteries, battlefield parks, and museums.

20 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Depends on the eyes. I know in the Great Plains area these are considered offensive by many. Just like the last photo

buffone.jpg

bufftwo.jpg

buffthree.JPG

bufffour.jpg

custer.JPG

Would run into some Rasta's in St. Croix, VI. when I worked there. lets just say they had to use a lot of A 200 

7 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Yikes, I had to look at what A 200 was lol.

:headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch:

I am NOW scratching my head...lol

Yeah you don't want to know what they used to wash their dreads remember in Bob's songs he talks about the stench. They would purchase the A200 by the case

On 6/11/2018 at 6:50 PM, augolf1716 said:

Yeah you don't want to know what they used to wash their dreads remember in Bob's songs he talks about the stench. They would purchase the A200 by the case

Bet you were itching to get out of there.

Archived