Neutral site vs home/home

WaynesAUworld

2 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

Paging Mr. Greene, paging Mr. Greene....home/home on aisle Notre Dame please.

Shoot, I ain't holding my breath there.  Knocking out a trip to ND this year just to scratch it off the bucket list.  Can't wait!

On 7/29/2018 at 2:36 AM, Brad_ATX said:

I vividly remember in 2003 we took 25k fans to Los Angeles for a game against USC on Labor Day night, myself being one of them.  The parking attendants looked at us like we were crazy when we showed up at 9 am ready to tailgate.  Our fans travel and do so in bunches when given the right motivation.  Heck man, we took nearly 15k to Manhattan, Kansas for a Thursday night game in 2014.  Seattle is way cooler than that.

If you need a more recent example, look at what UGA did last year.  They took 40k to Notre Dame.  That's insane, but it shows people will travel and spend cash for good, new matchups.

I would've honestly preferred a neutral site with Clemson in 2016 (they've done two CFA Kickoffs before) and a home/home with Washington last year (Seattle) and this year (Auburn). Would there be a very good chance we still lose all three? Yep! But at least Seattle is way more interesting than Clemson.

It's interesting that we played relatively well in LA in 2002. I was too young to follow football until late in the 2003 season (November-ish), so I have no memory of either of those games. I watched what I could stomach of the infamous 2003 game, and it just seems like we shot ourselves in the foot so many times (Obomanu missing a wide open catch, etc.). Shows how important it is to have a competent OC (Petrino --> Nallsminger --> Borges).

I doubt we could get Oregon to agree to a home and home series. 2 neutral site games with might be the best we can do with them, Mich. State, Michigan and Notre Dame.

10 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

I doubt we could get Oregon to agree to a home and home series. 2 neutral site games with might be the best we can do with them, Mich. State, Michigan and Notre Dame.

Then don't schedule them.  They're not better than Auburn.  It ain't worth it to just play on neutral sites.  Plenty other viable options.

On 7/30/2018 at 9:18 AM, Brad_ATX said:

Yup!  This is how you do it.  Not a weekend, but a vacation.

I've already got a week's worth of stuff planned for the trip to Cal.  Playing the three courses at Pebble Beach.  See a Giants game. Alcatraz.  May even hit up wine country.

Penn State trip will include sidebars to Gettysburg and Cooperstown, NY for the baseball hall of fame.

Hopefully Greene will give us some more good locations soon.  I'd be totally cool with a football based vacation every two years.

You are in for a treat PB is my second favorite course to ever play and Spyglass is in my top 10

20 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

You are in for a treat PB is my second favorite course to ever play and Spyglass is in my top 10

Oh I can't wait.  I started putting away money the moment AU announced this game so that I could do it.

2 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Why not?  They've played home/home with Tennessee and Michigan State pretty recently.

For some of these early 1st games,. Atleast in the past,. Students were not back yet,. So even the home openers we could not sell out.  It is also really hot,. But not so inside a dome.  

Me personally.  I want home and home,.  But I do not want to host a  "big" game that does not have a packed student section .  

Archived