Neutral site vs home/home

WaynesAUworld

After reading about some teams playing neutral site games instead of home/home to begin each year, had me thinking about the pros and cons of each. As a fan is it better for a home/home or a neutral site game? Revenue wise which one makes more $$$$ for the University? Obviously playing in Atlanta is almost like a home game for us, but playing in Dallas won't be. I'm curious to know which one our fanbase likes more. :wareagle:

52 minutes ago, WaynesAUworld said:

After reading about some teams playing neutral site games instead of home/home to begin each year, had me thinking about the pros and cons of each. As a fan is it better for a home/home or a neutral site game? Revenue wise which one makes more $$$$ for the University? Obviously playing in Atlanta is almost like a home game for us, but playing in Dallas won't be. I'm curious to know which one our fanbase likes more. :wareagle:

If I could actually pony up, have the time, etc to go to these games, I would much rather do home/home. 

From a revenue standpoint, I have no idea. Obviously the college towns miss out on a lot of tourism dollars if they lose a home game, but I'm not sure if they're losing out on the season overall. The colleges themselves probably make a ton of money off the neutral site games. 

Part of the appeal of college football is visiting the campus and seeing the different architecture and setups of these campuses.  Going to Atlanta or any of these other big cities takes away from the overall “college” feel to me.  

My 2¢...

Home/Home period.

Only the bowl games should be neutral.

Frankly, I wish the higher ranked seeds in the CFP would be able to play at home with maybe the Championship being on a neutral site.

As a student/ticket holder it really stinks because knowing the best game of the week could be in your stadium but isn’t is just too cruel

Home/home always. I get the neutral site is the money maker because of all the sponsorships and what not though.

If we can only get to play a team like Oregon, Washington, Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Ohio State or UCLA.we should play them for 2 games on a neutral field. However, if we schedule Central Florida and South Florida, we should play them at Jordan-Hare Stadium then their place.

19 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

If we can only get to play a team like Oregon, Washington, Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Ohio State or UCLA.we should play them for 2 games on a neutral field. However, if we schedule Central Florida and South Florida, we should play them at Jordan-Hare Stadium then their place.

WTH?

tenor.gif

CFB is meant to be played on campus. Personally, I despise the regular season neutral site games. The city and state are losing out on the tax dollars. Local businesses, season ticket holders, etc just getting bent over. 

Home/Home.  This UW game would be so much cooler if we played them at JHS with a return trip to Seattle.  Their stadium is right on Lake Washington for goodness sake!

We have upcoming home/home series with Penn State and Cal.  I'm already planning week-long trips for both away games and can't freaking wait.

5 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Home/Home.  This UW game would be so much cooler if we played them at JHS with a return trip to Seattle.  Their stadium is right on Lake Washington for goodness sake!

We have upcoming home/home series with Penn State and Cal.  I'm already planning week-long trips for both away games and can't freaking wait.

yeah but how many fans will want to travel all the way there for a regular season game?

1 hour ago, WFE12 said:

yeah but how many fans will want to travel all the way there for a regular season game?

I vividly remember in 2003 we took 25k fans to Los Angeles for a game against USC on Labor Day night, myself being one of them.  The parking attendants looked at us like we were crazy when we showed up at 9 am ready to tailgate.  Our fans travel and do so in bunches when given the right motivation.  Heck man, we took nearly 15k to Manhattan, Kansas for a Thursday night game in 2014.  Seattle is way cooler than that.

If you need a more recent example, look at what UGA did last year.  They took 40k to Notre Dame.  That's insane, but it shows people will travel and spend cash for good, new matchups.

On 7/27/2018 at 9:58 AM, AUsince72 said:

My 2¢...

Home/Home period.

Only the bowl games should be neutral.

Frankly, I wish the higher ranked seeds in the CFP would be able to play at home with maybe the Championship being on a neutral site.

And that's why I think a six-team playoff would be best. Regular season still matters way more than in an eight-team playoff. 1 and 2 play the winners of quarterfinals (hosted by 3 and 4), losers of quarterfinals go to at-large NY6 bowls.

On 7/27/2018 at 6:49 AM, WaynesAUworld said:

Revenue wise which one makes more $$$$ for the University? 

I think it was the SEC commissioner that said that each university doing these neutral site games is getting paid equivalent of a playoff game.  So you have to think thats a lot of money to miss out on. 

Personally I like the history and excitement of H&H.  Places like Notre Dame, Rose Bowl, Michigan, etc are icons of college football. These kids have likely never been and would really love those experiences. 

On 7/29/2018 at 12:48 AM, WFE12 said:

Auburn football +  vacation almost anywhere on the Left Coast? Hell yeah! 

38 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Auburn football +  vacation almost anywhere on the Left Coast? Hell yeah! 

Yup!  This is how you do it.  Not a weekend, but a vacation.

I've already got a week's worth of stuff planned for the trip to Cal.  Playing the three courses at Pebble Beach.  See a Giants game. Alcatraz.  May even hit up wine country.

Penn State trip will include sidebars to Gettysburg and Cooperstown, NY for the baseball hall of fame.

Hopefully Greene will give us some more good locations soon.  I'd be totally cool with a football based vacation every two years.

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I've already got a week's worth of stuff planned for the trip to Cal.  Playing the three courses at Pebble Beach.  See a Giants game. Alcatraz.  May even hit up wine country.

Penn State trip will include sidebars to Gettysburg and Cooperstown, NY for the baseball hall of fame.

Hopefully Greene will give us some more good locations soon.  I'd be totally cool with a football based vacation every two years.

Exactly.

Obviously, it's only a select group that will have the time and resources to do that. Might not get to do it myself. But I'm as likely to do that as drive to Clemson or Tallahassee or wherever for a weekend. If you can and would do that but can't fly out for a 4-5 day trip, I get it. But it's an awesome opportunity for those who can make it happen. 

I'm really hoping we can go out for Cal. The Bay Area is one of my favorite places in the country to visit. 

I'll take home/home over neutral all day.  Atmosphere on a college campus isn't comparable to that of say Mercedes Benz Stadium.  Going to a game at MBS seems more like a social gathering then a football game, especially for Falcons games.  After watching Auburn in the last 2 games at MBS, I will be watching from the couch this year.

36 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Not sure if you've been out there or not before, but if you're doing Pebble Beach go ahead and do parts of the  Hwy 1 drive.  I went for the 1st time a couple months ago and it was breathtaking to say the least.  We started at Lover's Point in Monterrey, went through Pebble Beach, stayed a night in Carmel and then ended up in Big Sur.

14 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

I'll take home/home over neutral all day.  Atmosphere on a college campus isn't comparable to that of say Mercedes Benz Stadium.  Going to a game at MBS seems more like a social gathering then a football game, especially for Falcons games.  After watching Auburn in the last 2 games at MBS, I will be watching from the couch this year.

It's crazy that they made it too easy to go get a drink/bite/restroom break, to the point that people are just watching the game from the concourses.

Soccer games are still bad ass, though. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It's crazy that they made it too easy to go get a drink/bite/restroom break, to the point that people are just watching the game from the concourses.

Soccer games are still bad ass, though. 

United games are awesome.  Even if you're not a soccer fan I still recommend checking them out.

But yeah its like theres too much entertainment in addition to the game being played at that stadium.  Walking around you almost always have a view of the field.  You can sit at a bar in the lower level and have a better view then your upper deck ticket.

5 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

United games are awesome.  Even if you're not a soccer fan I still recommend checking them out.

But yeah its like theres too much entertainment in addition to the game being played at that stadium.  Walking around you almost always have a view of the field.  You can sit at a bar in the lower level and have a better view then your upper deck ticket.

YUP. I've done that a couple times. Just stand at that bar around the field on the 200 level and finish my beer and hot dog or whatever before going back to the seats. 

And, of course, the prices and selection on concessions are pretty awesome. 

2 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Home/Home always gets my vote. Not many places anywhere that beats Auburn on a football Saturday.

Agree....the big losers on neutral site games are the students......expensive to travel and limited tickets.

Archived