Which QBs have improved under Gus' tutelage?

thrustmaxwell

On 10/4/2018 at 10:30 PM, oracle79 said:

Just curious, do you say that to defend the guy that recruited them, or just to point out that evaluation is another of his deficits in addition to coaching?

Evaluation deficit mostly.  Though I'd put the onus on the kids who got themselves kicked off, the total number over the years have to point to a void somewhere in the evaluation.  As many have pointed out, some of them should have never come here anyways, but the others seemed to have a ton of upside that never even began to pan out.  It'd be different if we had a few stars or strong game managers that kept them from seeing the field, but that hasn't been the case in most instances.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Win4AU said:

1st year as OC at Arkansas led his freshman Qb to the SEC championship. No running Qb

2nd year as OC at Arkansas two 1000 yard rushers and averaged about 100 yards more a game than when he took over. No running Qb.

3rd year as OC at Tulsa #1 offense in the country with a 5,000 yard passer, 1000 yard rusher, 3 1,000 yard receivers.  Qb has about 9 carries a game for about 9yds/gym

4th year as OC at Tulsa #1 offense in country again ranking 5th in rushing and 9th in passing. Qb had about 9 carries for 8 yards/gym

5th year as OC at Auburn #16 ranked offense in the country with a weak arm non running Qb.

His offense was great long before Cam and Nick.  His offenses were based on balance and not running Qbs.  

Why do I think Gus would be successful anywhere else?  Everywhere he’s been he’s played or won a championship.  

The question I want to know is where is Gus’s 2007, 2008, or even 2009 offenses?

Arkansas 1st Year - Darren McFadden, Felix Jones, Peyton Hillis.  Still lose 4 games and get stomped in the SEC title.  Malzahn famously had play-calling duties taken away because he wasn’t playing to the offense’s strengths (imagine that).

Arkansas 2nd year - Oh, wait. He didn’t have a 2nd year.  He was fired after his first year.  But since we’re just making s*** up, I’ll play along.  

Tulsa - 5 10,000-yd rushers, and a 20,000-yd passer!!!! Who gives a s***? It’s Tulsa.

Auburn 2009 - 8-5 season (3-5 record in SEC) with losses to all main rivals and a home loss to Kentucky.  

2010 - Cam Newton.  Boy, this Malzahn guy looks pretty good as long as he has the best SEC QB and RB in decades on his roster.

2011 - Lols.  Gus famously redshirted GREG Robinson in favor of veteran matador, AJ Greene.  We were embarrassing on offense.

2 hours ago, L I G E R said:

Arkansas 1st Year - Darren McFadden, Felix Jones, Peyton Hillis.  Still lose 4 games and get stomped in the SEC title.  Malzahn famously had play-calling duties taken away because he wasn’t playing to the offense’s strengths (imagine that).

Arkansas 2nd year - Oh, wait. He didn’t have a 2nd year.  He was fired after his first year.  But since we’re just making s*** up, I’ll play along.  

Tulsa - 5 10,000-yd rushers, a 20,000-yd passer!!!! Who gives a s***? It’s Tulsa.

Auburn 2009 - 8-5 season (3-5 record in SEC) with losses to all main rivals and a home loss to Kentucky.  

2010 - Cam Newton.  Boy, this Malzahn guy looks pretty good as long as he has the best SEC QB and RB in decades on his roster.

2011 - Lols.  Gus famously redshirted GREG Robinson in favor of veteran matador, AJ Greene.  We were embarrassing on offense.

image.png

Although I did enjoy the offenses that Gus and Herb Hand built at Tulsa together.  Those were Gus' best years as OC and he was sharing responsibilities.

Archived