Which QBs have improved under Gus' tutelage?

thrustmaxwell

4 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Cam (Who Urban Meyer said when only make it to the NFL as a Tight End)

Obviously Nick Marshall, who is now playing DB in CFL; Gus did wonders with him as a QB.

Sean White, who before injury, actually led the SEC in passing at one point.

Todd (not sure how we won with him, but we did, and the offense put up pretty big numbers)

Jarrett eapically after the Clemson game last year. Not sure what’s going on with him this year.

I'll give you White and Todd and put a giant asterisk on Narshall.  Cam did not improve under Gus, Gus figured out how to use Cam (because he hadn't done so in preseason).  Jarrett has regressed from year 1 to year 2.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, thrustmaxwell said:

Cam did not improve under Gus, Gus figured out how to use Cam (because he hadn't done so in preseason).  Jarrett has regressed from year 1 to year 2.

that isn't true, Cam got better as the year went on. however, the fact that it took him about 4 games to figure out how to use him is staggering.

stidham has seemingly regressed since the first game this year.

the bottom line is that gus has never been a "qb whisperer" but his biggest praise coming in was "he tailors his offenese to the teams streagths". he did that in 2010 and 2013. i have not seen him do it since, including last year.

On 10/3/2018 at 8:19 AM, thrustmaxwell said:

Below is a list of QBs that Auburn has recruited under Gus Malzah, whether as OC or HC.  Which of these, in your opinion, has improved the longer they've played under Gus?

2009: 0 QB Recruits

2010: CAMERON JERREL NEWTON (THANK YOU CURTIS LUPER!!!!!)

2011:  Kiehl Frazier

2012: Zeke Pike, Jonathan Wallace

2013:  Jeremy Johnson, Nick Marshall

2014:  Sean White

2015:  Tyler Queen

2016:  Woody Barrett, John Franklin III

2017:  Jarrett Stidham

This has nothing to do with this list but I was curious so here you go.

Where are they now?
Kiehl Frazier - after never panning out at Auburn he transferred to Ouachita Baptist where he lead them to a conference championship going 10-1 and a playoff berth in the D2 division. They didn't win but at least he got to taste some success. His stat line for that season and his years at Auburn shown below. Couldn't find anything on what he's currently doing with his life.

KFrazier.PNG

Zeke Pike - man what a dumpster fire this kid's life ended up becoming. Flamed out at Auburn quick, his time as a TE at Louisville lead to one catch, and he was arrested again in April for driving charges connected with marijuana and alcohol. https://www.nkytribune.com/2018/04/former-dixie-heights-star-pike-arrested-in-fort-wright-charges-include-possession-of-marijuana/ very unfortunate.

Jonathan Wallace - struggled at quarterback, had a few runs, and had one catch as a receiver. Never made it as a player but now he is on the coaching staff at Bethel University. https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2018/01/former_auburn_qbwr_jonathan_wa.html . So there's that.

Jeremy Johnson- The ultimate backup and a terrible starter. I just think the pressure was too much for him to be honest. When he came off the bench with no stress he was lights out but if he was the starter it just spiraled quick. For some reason he tried to play in Arena Football which didn't pan out and then he was a practice squad player in CFL until July this year...wouldn't have recommended that for him personally but at least he's still trying?  Looks like he is in the arena league again not too far from Jordan Hare. https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/auburn/2018/07/12/jeremy-johnson-enjoying-football-new-life-georgia/766685002/ .

jeremyjohnson.PNG

Sean White - I think Sean should have never been at Auburn for his own sake kind of like Kiehl. They both probably would have had a good career at some AAC school, barring Sean's partying issues, and would have likely shined there. It's pretty odd trying to find out what he is up to right now. Sounds like he could have graduated and transferred and I know his charges were dismissed. Anyone have an update with him?

seanwhite.PNG

Tyler Queen - this kid apparently likes to eat. Not only that but his arm is just broken. If I remember right he had 2 surgeries while here and apparently he had another one after transferring. He is a Tight End now at West Georgia where apparently he was the third string quarterback at some point...not sure we evaluated his talent well if we though he was good enough for Auburn. http://www.uwgsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=24310&ATCLID=211654846 .

Woody Barrett - here is a kid I actually really liked coming out of high school and I check his stats each week now that he is starting at Kent State. https://kentstatesports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=10476 . Wish we would have kept him around honestly but for his sake it was probably for the best. His bio on their site reads:

2018 Sophomore Season ***current season***
• Had a career high of completing 30 passes for 314 yards 
• At Ole Miss, rushing touchdown of 2 yards, completed 24 passes for 224 yards 
• Threw for 280 yards and ran for 117 yards for 3 total touchdowns in first start with Kent State

Prior to Kent State
• Attended Auburn out of high school and redshirted
• At Copiah-Lincoln Community College threw for 1,294 yards with eight touchdowns and ran for 485 yards with six touchdowns

John Franklin III - I can't describe to you how mad I was when I watched Last Chance U and saw that we recruited this kid. Just terrible. He balled out for like one quarter and we nutted our pants and gave him an offer like idiots. He couldn't even start at that school! To be fair he had a better passer rating in the few chances he had when compared to Stidham through most of this year. Went to FAU and did nothing as a receiver and has somehow been put on the Bears' practice squad as a DB. The talent is there...

30 minutes ago, thrustmaxwell said:

I'll give you White and Todd and put a giant asterisk on Narshall.  Cam did not improve under Gus, Gus figured out how to use Cam (because he hadn't done so in preseason).  Jarrett has regressed from year 1 to year 2.

It was Gus that turned Cam into a Heisman Trophy winner. It was Urban Meyer and Dan Mullen (O-coordinator) who said Cam would never be a quarterback and will be best used as a tight end.

As far as Jarrett regressing, it would seem so. With a young inexperienced O-line riddled with injuries, and no running game, a quarterback can regress.

4 hours ago, fasttimes said:

that isn't true, Cam got better as the year went on.

It's quite true, actually.  You're incorrect in your fond memories of a fantastic season.  The stats show that Cam was the same exact Cam we recruited from Blinn, Gus is just an idiot and didn't use him properly for 4 games.  The data points do not show any significant game over game improvement as the season goes on, just either really good or SUPERMAN depending on the game.

image.png

3 hours ago, AU-24 said:

It was Gus that turned Cam into a Heisman Trophy winner. It was Urban Meyer and Dan Mullen (O-coordinator) who said Cam would never be a quarterback and will be best used as a tight end.

As far as Jarrett regressing, it would seem so. With a young inexperienced O-line riddled with injuries, and no running game, a quarterback can regress.

LOL, no.  Gus would be back coaching HS if it weren't for still being able to hang his hat on having CAM NEWTON grace his roster and a couple of miracles in 2013.  Feel free to check out his stats the year prior to coming to Auburn:  hint, they're basically the same as 2010.

5 hours ago, Zeek said:

Woody Barrett 

• At Ole Miss, rushing touchdown of 2 yards, completed 24 passes for 224 yards 

I wonder if we'll have that many passing yards on ole miss, lol.

Lol, Gus would still be coaching 1A Arkansas private school football if not for the grace of Cameron Jorrell Newton.

So it makes sense that he would completely stop trying to recruit similar QBs.

7 hours ago, drɘxɘl said:

Funny thing is more than half, 6 of the 11 names, also either transferred or got kicked off.

Funny as in it stops me from crying.

7 hours ago, drɘxɘl said:

Funny thing is more than half, 6 of the 11 names, also either transferred or got kicked off.

Just curious, do you say that to defend the guy that recruited them, or just to point out that evaluation is another of his deficits in addition to coaching?

Its not Gus's fault that Kiehl basically was broken in 2012 but it is quite unfortunate that he basically trained him to be a RB in 2011. The regression of Jeremy Johnson seems to be one of the more embarrassing stories heisman hype wise in football since his arrival. Jarrett Stidham's year hasnt been that bad quite yet, but he's not anywhere near where he should be with 87 4* and higher receivers and very talented receiving backs

On 10/3/2018 at 9:19 AM, thrustmaxwell said:

Below is a list of QBs that Auburn has recruited under Gus Malzah, whether as OC or HC.  Which of these, in your opinion, has improved the longer they've played under Gus?

2009: 0 QB Recruits

2010: CAMERON JERREL NEWTON (THANK YOU CURTIS LUPER!!!!!)

2011:  Kiehl Frazier

2012: Zeke Pike, Jonathan Wallace

2013:  Jeremy Johnson, Nick Marshall

2014:  Sean White

2015:  Tyler Queen

2016:  Woody Barrett, John Franklin III

2017:  Jarrett Stidham

On 10/3/2018 at 9:16 AM, McLoofus said:

if you go back and watch our last possession in the '09 IB, you will see the most chaotic, ill-prepared sideline you've ever seen in your life.

The Todd option pitch to Tate on 2nd & 9 for a loss of 7 yards the possession prior in UA territory with AU up 21-20 still pizzes me off to this day. Why would you have the slowest QB on the planet run an option? Against the #1 D in the country? And they're supposed to buy Todd was a running threat?

https://youtu.be/8KQfv2iEXh4?t=2h45s

3 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

The Todd option pitch to Tate on 2nd & 9 for a loss of 7 yards the possession prior in UA territory with AU up 21-20 still pizzes me off to this day. Why would you have the slowest QB on the planet run an option? Against the #1 D in the country? And they're supposed to buy Todd was a running threat?

I don't think Gus understands that some QBs just arent athletic. And when he doesnt use the wildcat enough, his brain starts convulsing and it forces him to have someone tote it back there 

16 hours ago, thrustmaxwell said:

LOL, no.  Gus would be back coaching HS if it weren't for still being able to hang his hat on having CAM NEWTON grace his roster and a couple of miracles in 2013.  Feel free to check out his stats the year prior to coming to Auburn:  hint, they're basically the same as 2010.

Comparing his stats at Blinn college, to the toughest SEC schedule in the country, wow, never thought of that.

I didn’t know it was Cam that won the SEC championship and played for a national championship with a DB playing quarterback. I also didn’t know it was Cam that won the SEC West last year, including wins over Georgia and Alabama.

I also didn’t know it was Cam’s AU that’s currently ranked number eight in the country.

AUBURN | There’s a confidence quarterbacks show when they sit comfortably in a pocket expecting to have time to go through their progressions and deliver a well-thrown pass to an open receiver.

Sure, those quarterback get pressured and even sacked at times, but they feel secure enough in their pass blocking to hang in there.

The trouble starts when a quarterback doesn’t have that confidence in his pass blocking. That’s when he starts watching the rush instead of keeping his eyes down the field, and starts bailing out of the pocket sooner than needed.

It’s an issue Jarrett Stidham has had before and it’s been exacerbated this season by the myriad of struggles Auburn is facing with its running game and pass protections, especially an inexperienced and banged-up offensive line.

https://auburn.rivals.com/news/under-duress-3

12 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

SecretDefiantElectriceel-small.gif

15 hours ago, L I G E R said:

Lol, Gus would still be coaching 1A Arkansas private school football if not for the grace of Cameron Jorrell Newton.

So it makes sense that he would completely stop trying to recruit similar QBs.

Gus was a top level OC at 3 different programs before Cam.  At worst he’d be winning the Sun Belt every year at Arky State or thriving somewhere like the Big 12 or PAC 12.

On 10/4/2018 at 2:45 PM, Zeek said:

Went to FAU and did nothing as a receiver and has somehow been put on the Bears' practice squad as a DB. 

Speed provides opportunity. 

8 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Gus was a top level OC at 3 different programs before Cam.  At worst he’d be winning the Sun Belt every year at Arky State or thriving somewhere like the Big 12 or PAC 12.

Nope.  His offense was exposed and shown to be relatively easy to defend if you don't have a CAM or NARSHALL back there.  I haven't seen him evolve into anything but chaos so I'm not sure why you'd expect anything different by going to another school.

On 10/4/2018 at 6:44 PM, thrustmaxwell said:

It's quite true, actually.  You're incorrect in your fond memories of a fantastic season.  The stats show that Cam was the same exact Cam we recruited from Blinn, Gus is just an idiot and didn't use him properly for 4 games.  The data points do not show any significant game over game improvement as the season goes on, just either really good or SUPERMAN depending on the game.

image.png

stat-wise i guess you are right. but i was pretty dialed in that season and if you don't think Cam improved each game i would question whether you watched all the game that year. Cam would make a mistake one game and pretty much not make it again.

however, to your point, im not sure that was solely or even mostly on gus. i think Cam was mostly just really good.

I'may not be an offensive genius like Gus but Cam and Nick were the two most successful QB's to play in Gus' system. And what was the one trait they shared? Both were dangerous running the ball. Hopefully, Bo's legs will help him become the straw that stirs the Tigers offensive drink. It certainly can't hurt with the current state of the offensive line. :flame:

The genius of Gus Malzahn:

Go 34-7 with 2 SEC titles, 2 trips to the Natty, and 1 national title with dual threat QBs.

Immediately proceed to sign Jeremy Johnson, Sean White, and Tyler Queen to run your offenses, while missing/passing on Lamar Jackson, Deshaun Watson, Jerod Evans, etc.

Makes perfect sense.

1 hour ago, thrustmaxwell said:

Nope.  His offense was exposed and shown to be relatively easy to defend if you don't have a CAM or NARSHALL back there.  I haven't seen him evolve into anything but chaos so I'm not sure why you'd expect anything different by going to another school.

1st year as OC at Arkansas led his freshman Qb to the SEC championship. No running Qb

2nd year as OC at Arkansas two 1000 yard rushers and averaged about 100 yards more a game than when he took over. No running Qb.

3rd year as OC at Tulsa #1 offense in the country with a 5,000 yard passer, 1000 yard rusher, 3 1,000 yard receivers.  Qb has about 9 carries a game for about 9yds/gym

4th year as OC at Tulsa #1 offense in country again ranking 5th in rushing and 9th in passing. Qb had about 9 carries for 8 yards/gym

5th year as OC at Auburn #16 ranked offense in the country with a weak arm non running Qb.

His offense was great long before Cam and Nick.  His offenses were based on balance and not running Qbs.  

Why do I think Gus would be successful anywhere else?  Everywhere he’s been he’s played or won a championship.  

The question I want to know is where is Gus’s 2007, 2008, or even 2009 offenses?

Archived