Reap what you sow

ToomersStreet

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I’m of the opinion that we should support our coaches, and give them all the tools to make them successful no matter the circumstances until status quo changes. We are not looking very coach friendly right now. 

But again, that's just throwing more money at the problem. It'd be different if we knew Gus would still be here in 2020 but he's only got one more year guaranteed. The PTB are saying they don't want to be on the hook for another buyout that likely won't produce good enough results for Gus to make 2020. 

If Gus want s Freeze bad enough, he needs to tell the PTB that Freeze's buyout will be taken out of his buyout as a bargaining chip. If we're not able to do better 7-5 or 8-4 with Freeze as OC next year, then Gus's buyout should be reduced to help pay for Freeze's buyout. 

28 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I’m of the opinion when you are paying a coach 7 million a year you have the right to expect good results. This year was not good results. I can assure not many CEOs making that kind of money would survive a year’s performance like this year for Gus. Don’t understand why folks think we should give him any benefit for a crappy tie for 10th place un a 14 team conference when we are paying him too money.

Good point, I'm hoping prospective coaches will agree.

24 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I’m of the opinion when you are paying a coach 7 million a year you have the right to expect good results. This year was not good results. I can assure not many CEOs making that kind of money would survive a year’s performance like this year for Gus. Don’t understand why folks think we should give him any benefit for a crappy tie for 10th place un a 14 team conference when we are paying him too money.

I didn’t say Gus deserved another year, but if you’re going to give it to him, support him. 

3 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

If Gus want s Freeze bad enough, he needs to tell the PTB that Freeze's buyout will be taken out of his buyout as a bargaining chip

I guess. This nearly looks just as bad though. Coach pays for salary of assistant with his own legally established buyout protection after the suddenly prudent BOT nixes deal.

Story at 10

5 hours ago, AU-HANDLEY-TIGER said:

Josh Moon is your source? Does he really have any credibility after the Stoops story?

Did he have any before the Stoops story. The guy is a canker sore.

16 minutes ago, gman87 said:

Did he have any before the Stoops story. The guy is a canker sore.

I agree 100%. Wish the Mods could delete any “stories” attributed to him.

5 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Well JGT said we were trying to make him uncomfortable, so that he would leave. But if he’s here to stay one more year, they need stop with this bs. Do we not have a voice of reason at the top at all? 

I can’t believe all this is going on. It seems the PTB at Auburn are living proof of the saying, they have more money than sense.

7 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I guess. This nearly looks just as bad though. Coach pays for salary of assistant with his own legally established buyout protection after the suddenly prudent BOT nixes deal.

Story at 10

Freeze's buyout would be something like what, $4-5 million? Gus is already going to get $26 million(half of that within 30 days) if he's fired Dec 1, 2019. So take away roughly $5 million from that and Gus would still be walking away with around $20-21 million. It would basically be like shaving almost a year's salary off his buyout. 

And if Gus didn't want any restrictions like one year contracts for hiring an new OC then he should have balked at Leath and Habert's deal and told them to buy him out. But nope, he apparently was willing to take the handicap deal in order to get another year. 

I wished they would have fired Gus $32 million and all but Gus helped nix that. I can't feel very sorry for someone that stubborn that they refuse to make things easier on themselves and everyone else. I want Gus and Leath gone and for Habert to never negotiate an Auburn coach's contract ever again.

10 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Where is Greene in all of this? Does he appreciate a political reporter pushing more negative Auburn optics all the way to the national stage? 

people assume he has no part in it.   You might be wrong.  

13 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

Don't know about this, but I have been told by some relatives of mine in Alabama that know Moon personally to believe very little of what the man says.

ITAT, 24/7  and the AU board on the SEC RANT are saying the same thing....this guy must be a putz because he has no credibility from anyone

16 hours ago, AUsome Jete said:

Ridiculous!  You either love Auburn or you don't!  These power brokers are so power hungry, they can't see past their own ego's and put the well being of our football program and players before themselves!  Give CGM the opportunity to secure CHF as OC and see what he can do.  If Gus continues being Gus during play calling then he will hang himself.  It wouldn't hurt to have CHF in waiting for HC job either.

Please tell me you are not in charge of anything of value or responsibility.  This type of thinking is...elementary at best.

By the way I feel that what Josh reported was factual from what I’ve seen . Not unusual for folks to  reach out with intermediates to folks close to the other side with feelers. It is done everyone in coaching searches. No one wants to get turned down or not hired so most of the negotiations go in behind backdoors . When you hear like Nick to Texas there was real contact as has been proven since. Parties don’t reach consensus so “ it never happened” is the reply. While I don’t agree with AU’s game plan today everyone need to remember Gus put his self in this position , both with the unwise time on the contract negotiations last year before the SECCG and by the teams lack of progress this year.

11 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I didn’t say Gus deserved another year, but if you’re going to give it to him, support him. 

They didn't give him another year.  If reports are true Gus called their bluff and accepted another year with amendments to his contract.

1 minute ago, keesler said:

If reports are true Gus called their bluff and accepted another year with amendments to his contract.

It’s kinda hard to accept something not given. You know what I mean. They could’ve and should’ve fired him and be done with it if this nonsense was destined to be the alternative. Gus does not deserve this at all. I don’t even get the thread title. 

While im not on the Gus Bus anymore i will say that i think he needs to be given every opportunity to fix the situation at hand.    Tying his hands behind his back for 1 year isnt going to help anyone, Fans, Boosters, school.    I think they over estimate his ability to succeed. 

47 minutes ago, thrustmaxwell said:

Please tell me you are not in charge of anything of value or responsibility.  This type of thinking is...elementary at best.

This all lies on the BOT and Admin.  They should have had the balls to just fire Gus if they are "in charge of anything of value or responsibility" such as Auburn University and the football program that rakes in millions of $$$!  But they decided to play a game with Gus.  Gus called their bluff to remain as the HC.  The Admin and BOT must not feel Auburn University is of value then!  They are playing a power game just like they did in JetGate.  It's ridiculous!  If you love Auburn then give it a chance to prosper and grow next season!  The elementary mindset here is "I'm in charge of you and you will do what I say because I have the money and power!"

18 hours ago, auburnphan said:

I believe they only want to limit all contracts to one year deals.  I honestly can not blame them for that.

Won't get top-notch talent on 1-year rentals, usually.

17 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Um, they're the ones largely spending the money that pays for these contracts, not you or me.  ROI matters.

It may be the SEC holding up the Freeze hire, not Auburn.

Below is where the majority of Auburn money comes from. As you can see the donors provide a nice chunk, but not nearly the total. I mean, it’s not like a booster just opens up his or her checkbook and cuts the coaching staff checks. At the same time, because of their significant donations they do have some power/pull.

Two of the donors I spoke to, laugh at the Josh Moon rumors... more on that below.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/auburn.247sports.com/Article/Auburn-athletics-reports-record-revenue-for-2017-fiscal-year-114231660/Amp/

Revenues

Ticket sales: $32.9 million
Student fees: $4.4 million
Direct institutional support: $1.7 million
Away games: $58,000
Contributions: $35.3 million
In-kind contributions: $124,201
Media rights: $40.9 million
NCAA: $3.6 million
SEC distribution (non-media and non-bowl): $9 millionConcessions: $1.9 million
Royalties/licensing/advertisements: $8.8 million
Endowment and Investments: $1.4 million
Other: $7.1 million
Transfer to institution: -$2.5 million
Bowl revenue: $2.8 million

So approximately $148 million, where $35.3 million is from various doners/boosters etc...

If you believe Josh Moon, you believe: Bob Stoops is a pathological liar. You also believe Auburn is being so secretive behind the scenes with all of this. At the same time, they’re not being secretive and they’re discussing this stuff with Josh Moon and other beat writers.

1. No one wanted Gus to come back except for the school president, and the school president had the power to overrule everyone.

2. Then, the school president didn’t want Gus back either, so he offered him a deal Gus would refuse and walk away.

3.  Gus excepted a lesser deal, with a much lower buy-out, and remains on another year. 

4. Then, Gus’s contract hasn’t changed that much at all, and he remains in place.

5.  Gus cannot hire Hugh Freeze or any assistant coach for longer than one year. The school president does not have the power to overrule this, even though he had the power to overall everyone else and keep Gus on another year, even though, he also didn’t want him another year?

These were some of the conversations I’ve had with them. Does the above make any sense to anyone?

25 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

Won't get top-notch talent on 1-year rentals with Gus, usually.

FIFY.      It would be just more buyout money unless the contract is worked accordingly.  Not sure it is possible if Gus can survive next year if he even makes it that far.

Yooo this puts us in worse than UT territory now.

Who the hell would want to work here. Only 5-19 type coaches will consider us moving forward. I really think the program is crumbling before our eyes right now. This type of BS is going to have long term implications. I wouldn't be surprised if Jimmy Sexton, who represents seemingly everyone worth a lick, steers his clients away from AU with the way we are treating Gus.

12 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

If you believe Josh Moon, you believe: Bob Stoops is a pathological liar.

No, you don't.  Moon never, I repeat, never reported that we had direct talks with Stoops.  Talking to representatives or people connected with him is not the same as talking to Stoops.  And the report simply implied that Stoops would be receptive to listening.  Those who ran with the "Stoops is coming to Auburn" narrative need to work on their reading comprehension skills.

And thus far, I'm inclined to believe his reporting as he's not the only one putting our administration's apparent subversive nature out there.  Other AU beat guys, including JGT, are singing the same tune.

14 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Below is where the majority of Auburn money comes from. As you can see the donors provide a nice chunk, but not nearly the total. I mean, it’s not like a booster just opens up his or her checkbook and cuts the coaching staff checks. At the same time, because of their significant donations they do have some power/pull.

Two of the donors I spoke to, laugh at the Josh Moon rumors... more on that below.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/auburn.247sports.com/Article/Auburn-athletics-reports-record-revenue-for-2017-fiscal-year-114231660/Amp/

So approximately $148 million, where $35.3 million is from various doners/boosters etc...

If you believe Josh Moon, you believe: Bob Stoops is a pathological liar. You also believe Auburn is being so secretive behind the scenes with all of this. At the same time, they’re not being secretive and they’re discussing this stuff with Josh Moon and other beat writers.

1. No one wanted Gus to come back except for the school president, and the school president had the power to overrule everyone.

2. Then, the school president didn’t want Gus back either, so he offered him a deal Gus would refuse and walk away.

3.  Gus excepted a lesser deal, with a much lower buy-out, and remains on another year. 

4. Then, Gus’s contract hasn’t changed that much at all, and he remains in place.

5.  Gus cannot hire Hugh Freeze or any assistant coach for longer than one year. The school president does not have the power to overrule this, even though he had the power to overall everyone else and keep Gus on another year, even though, he also didn’t want him another year?

These were some of the conversations I’ve had with them. Does the above make any sense to anyone?

Not really. As for one year contracts...isn't that what Muschamp got when he came to AU?    So it's been done in the past and mostly that is the way it's done with assistants.     

Freeze, being a former HC might see it differently but anyone thinking we could hire Freeze and he would be the HCIW is dreaming.....that almost never works out....and if Gus gets booted, it's likely that most of the people working for him will be gone too.    With the stuff going on, leaks, under performance of the team, etc.  I can't see a new coach keeping anyone from the current staff. JMO

25 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Revenues

Ticket sales: $32.9 million
Student fees: $4.4 million
Direct institutional support: $1.7 million
Away games: $58,000
Contributions: $35.3 million
In-kind contributions: $124,201
Media rights: $40.9 million
NCAA: $3.6 million
SEC distribution (non-media and non-bowl): $9 millionConcessions: $1.9 million
Royalties/licensing/advertisements: $8.8 million
Endowment and Investments: $1.4 million
Other: $7.1 million
Transfer to institution: -$2.5 million
Bowl revenue: $2.8 million

Nothing has made sense the last 2 weeks!!    We got paid to play Washington didn't we,  where did this factor in?

8 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

No, you don't.  Moon never, I repeat, never reported that we had direct talks with Stoops.  Talking to representatives or people connected with him is not the same as talking to Stoops.  And the report simply implied that Stoops would be receptive to listening.  Those who ran with the "Stoops is coming to Auburn" narrative need to work on their reading comprehension skills.

And thus far, I'm inclined to believe his reporting as he's not the only one putting our administration's apparent subversive nature out there.  Other AU beat guys, including JGT, are singing the same tune.

Simply telling everyone, what they told me. I’m sorry if it’s not what you want to hear. 

Simply passing information (that I can) as I get it.

Archived