Trump’s Second Term

homersapien

This is a thought provoking article about the implications of Trump being elected to a second term.  Historically speaking, this may be one of the most pivotal elections since Lincoln or FDR.  God help us.

It’s more likely than most people think—and compared with his first term, its effects would be far more durable.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/05/trump-2020-second-term/585994/

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

This is a thought provoking article about the implications of Trump being elected to a second term.  Historically speaking, this may be one of the most pivotal elections since Lincoln or FDR.  God help us.

It’s more likely than most people think—and compared with his first term, its effects would be far more durable.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/05/trump-2020-second-term/585994/

Curious, do you think Lincoln was a good president? 

12 hours ago, homersapien said:

Depends on who the Democratic nominee is. If they go farrrrr left, he might win again. 

21 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Curious, do you think Lincoln was a good president? 

Well, he did hold the country together and prevent the expansion of slavery.

He's pretty much recognized as one of the moral and intellectual giants in our history, and I agree. We would likely been far better off had he not been assassinated.

10 hours ago, autigeremt said:

Depends on who the Democratic nominee is. If they go farrrrr left, he might win again. 

Trump is going to portray them that way regardless. 

If Trump wins, I can only conclude we deserve him. 

And considering his anti-science and anti-environmentalism policies, there will be hell to pay.  He will certainly be remembered as a hugely consequential president, if not for the reasons he'd like to believe.

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

Well, he did hold the country together and prevent the expansion of slavery.

He's pretty much recognized as one of the moral and intellectual giants in our history, and I agree. We would likely been far better off had he not been assassinated.

Are you familiar with Lincoln and the Ghost Amendment? The "first" 13th Amendment that never was? That's just one of the many examples that surprised me about Lincoln. Numerous other "surprises" also.

I would encourage you to read some books about Lincoln if you enjoy that type of stuff. I think you will be surprised, much like I was. 

1 hour ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Are you familiar with Lincoln and the Ghost Amendment? The "first" 13th Amendment that never was? That's just one of the many examples that surprised me about Lincoln. Numerous other "surprises" also.

I would encourage you to read some books about Lincoln if you enjoy that type of stuff. I think you will be surprised, much like I was. 

I am fully aware of Lincoln's thinking regarding slavery. 

There have been more books written about Lincoln that any other president.  Over 15,000 as I recall. I am pretty damn sure I've read a lot more of them than you have.  After all, I've had about a 50 year head start. ;) 

So I would encourage you to start catching up. ;D

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

I am fully aware of Lincoln's thinking regarding slavery. 

There have been more books written about Lincoln that any other president.  Over 15,000 as I recall. I am pretty damn sure I've read a lot more of them than you have.  After all, I've had about a 50 year head start. ;) 

So I would encourage you to start catching up. ;D

Fair enough brother Homer 

Archived