Softball Fall Ball 2019

Maybe getting ahead of myself but we can add info as it becomes available.  This year Fall classes begin August 19.  Last year, practice started August 24.  The fall schedule was released August 15.  We played 8 games last fall from 9/21 - 10 /18.  There were open tryouts on 9/12.  We will have a chance to get a look at a lot of new players this fall and get some idea what position they seem best suited.  I believe there is some good talent arriving in the ladies who have signed.  

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't wait for the time to get here.  Between now and then, I hope we can bring in at least one pitcher.  As it stands now, we have eleven players returning and eight freshmen reporting, plus Makayla in limbo.  The entire middle of the defense (catcher, MIF, CF) must be replaced, so it's likely that we'll wind up with a couple of freshman starters.  Anxious to see what Tissier can do, and what Coach Lenti can do for us.  Gonna be an interesting fall. 

47 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Can't wait for the time to get here.  Between now and then, I hope we can bring in at least one pitcher.  As it stands now, we have eleven players returning and eight freshmen reporting, plus Makayla in limbo.  The entire middle of the defense (catcher, MIF, CF) must be replaced, so it's likely that we'll wind up with a couple of freshman starters.  Anxious to see what Tissier can do, and what Coach Lenti can do for us.  Gonna be an interesting fall. 

No doubt, it seems like almost all of the freshman are multi positional as well.  It is gonna be interesting to see where they all end up.

1 hour ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Makayla in limbo

Not really in limbo. The med redshirt waiver was denied & appeals don't win often.

44 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

It is my understanding that Makayla is not eligible but there is an appeal?

Yes it's being appealed.

2 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Your next to last sentence includes a couple of things that are on the front burner of my anticipation list.  When I have seen Tissier in the past she has seemed so anxious to learn and I thought she had made excellent strides last fall prior to her injury.  I remember her freshman year watching a practice and she and another catcher were getting instructions from Courtney.  Tissier was totally locked in and soaking it up.  I hope she is fully recovered.  Likewise look forward to see how Lenti's stated simple philosophy works with our gals.  Sounds like his players enjoy playing for him.  

• 1 month later...

Gong into Fall 2019, AU Softball has its work cut out for it basically having to replace starters at catcher, pitcher, SS, 2B, CF and LF.  There are 11 returning players from last year, 7 signees in November 2018, one signee in Feb. 2019 and 2 transfers in July 2019 for a total of 21 players. (edit 8/29) Two junior college transfers Jadia Jones OF from Chipola and Bailee Dempsey from Wallace State-Dothan; as reported by OlderWhiskey 8/22

I have listed players below in broad categories rather than specific positions ( MIF rather than SS or 2B, OF rather than LF, CF or RF.  Some players are known to play or have history of playing more than one position. 

PLAYER                                 Catcher                Pitcher                  Corner IF                              MIF                        OF

Aspyn Godwin                   x                                                                                                                                              x

Ashley Swindle                                                  x

Brittany Maresette                                                                                                                                                         x

Tannon Snow                                                                                     x                                                                             

Justus Perry                                                                                        x

Abby Tissier                        x

Rachel Cook                                                                                                                                                                       x

Alyssa Rivera                                                                                                                                                                      x

Lexie Handley                                                    x

Makenna Dowell                                                                              x                                              x

Haley Nillen                        x                                                              x

Maia Engelkes                                                                                   x                                              x

Carlee McCondchie                                                                                                                         x

Lindsey Garcia                                                                                                                                   x

Maddie Majors                                                                                 x                                                                              x

Jaylin Calvert                                                                                                                                                                      x

Kaylin Dismukes                                               x

Phoebe Florian                                                                                                                                  x                              x

Samantha Yarbrough                                      x                                                                                                              x

Tyler King                                                                                                                                                                            x

Jadia Jones                                                                                                                                                                          x

Bailee Dempsey                                             x

A top priority will be replacing last years top two pitchers.  Based on season batting average we lost our #1,#2 and #4 hitters; however they ranked 4,6 and 7 in conference play again based on BA.

I believe there is talent arriving and it will be interesting to watch them develop as well as the progress of some of last year players. We should be able go get two deep at all positions.  Pitcher development a major priority.   Fall practice should begin next month.

Shaping up as a very interesting fall.  We lost the entire middle of the team.  Should be lots of opportunity for PT for some freshmen.

I suppose it's just that so many of the names are unfamiliar to me, but I get a sinking feeling looking at the above list.

"Where have you gone Casey McCrackin, Auburn turns its lonely eyes to you..." With apologies to Paul Simon.

• 3 weeks later...

Softball 

https://auburntigers.com/news/2019/8/14/auburn-softball-announces-fall-schedule.aspx

Auburn softball announces fall schedule

AUBURN, Ala. – Auburn softball head coach Mickey Dean announced the 2019 fall schedule on Wednesday, which consists of eight games on five days throughout September and October.

The slate of games, which includes three sets of doubleheaders, features contests against five junior college teams, one NAIA, one Division II and one Division I. The eight-game exhibition schedule will begin on Sunday, Sept. 29 with a doubleheader against Gulf Coast State (1:30 p.m.) and Georgia Gwinnett (4:00 p.m.).

Six days later, the Tigers face off against Pensacola State and Snead State at 1:30 p.m. and 4:00 p.m., respectively. The following day, Auburn will face the defending NJCAA national champions in Chipola College at 1:30 p.m., before playing Wallace State CC – Dothan at 4:00 p.m.

Auburn will travel across state lines to Atlanta, Ga., to square off against Georgia Tech on Friday, Oct. 11 with a start time to be determined. The Tigers' fall schedule will conclude on Friday, Oct. 18 when Auburn hosts AUM under the lights at 6:00 p.m.

Admission is free to all fall Auburn softball home games.

2019 Auburn Fall Schedule

Sunday, Sept. 29 vs. Gulf Coast State (1:30 p.m.)

Sunday, Sept. 29 vs. Georgia Gwinnett (4:00 p.m.)

Saturday, Oct. 5 vs. Pensacola State (1:30 p.m.)

Saturday, Oct. 5 vs. Snead State (4:00 p.m.)

Sunday, Oct. 6 vs. Chipola College (1:30 p.m.)

Sunday, Oct. 6 vs. Wallace State CC - Dothan (4:00 p.m.)

Friday, Oct. 11 at Georgia Tech (TBD)

Friday, Oct. 18 vs. AUM (6:00 p.m.)

Isn't Wallace State - Dothan the team that beat us last year?  I don't recall that we've played a team the caliber of Georgia Tech previously in the fall, but like the idea.

Yes we lost to Wallace State-Dothan last year in the first fall game 1-0.  As far as the schedule this year I might think Chipola college could be the biggest threat.  They were the NJCAA D1 champs last year with a record of 52-5.  Recall that Goodman, the BAMA pitcher is a prior player.  It does seem that playing Tech and Chipola  will be an upgrade.

Interesting that school has now started at Auburn and they can't even get the softball webpage updated with the new staff members and players on the roster. 

3 hours ago, wmsau said:

Interesting that school has now started at Auburn and they can't even get the softball webpage updated with the new staff members and players on the roster. 

There was a delay in any "official announcement" regarding the hiring of Coach Lenti even after his hiring had been published in other outlets.  It was stated to be related to having "paper work finalized" which I presume has to do with signing contracts which is understandable. From what I can tell, the Rojas move to AU was public August 5.  According to her social media accounts, since that time she has celebrated the Mt SAC championship season Aug 9, celebrated 38th birthday August 11 and celebrated 1 yr wedding anniversary August 18.  Hopefully, we will hear that she is settling it at AU in the near term.   Last year fall classes began August 20 and practice some 4 days later from what I can decipher.  I doubt they have had photos taken which will be part of the roster page.  

2 hours ago, slot canyon said:

There was a delay in any "official announcement" regarding the hiring of Coach Lenti even after his hiring had been published in other outlets.  It was stated to be related to having "paper work finalized" which I presume has to do with signing contracts which is understandable. From what I can tell, the Rojas move to AU was public August 5.  According to her social media accounts, since that time she has celebrated the Mt SAC championship season Aug 9, celebrated 38th birthday August 11 and celebrated 1 yr wedding anniversary August 18.  Hopefully, we will hear that she is settling it at AU in the near term.   Last year fall classes began August 20 and practice some 4 days later from what I can decipher.  I doubt they have had photos taken which will be part of the roster page.  

This is all true give it time

19 hours ago, wmsau said:

If you want some indication of roster players scroll above to my post of July 27.  No pretty pictures or bio. info but may be a start.

11 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Plus we picked up Jadia Jones, an outfielder from Chipola, and Bailee Dempsey, a pitcher from Wallace St. - Dothan.

When did these happen?? I couldn’t find any articles saying Bailee Dempsey transferred to Auburn but in her Instagram bio it says Auburn softball now.

2 hours ago, auburnfan247 said:

When did these happen?? I couldn’t find any articles saying Bailee Dempsey transferred to Auburn but in her Instagram bio it says Auburn softball now.

Refer to the post yesterday on the softball forum topic "Ruby Rojas Joins Softball Staff".  The transfer of both players was referenced in the article by Phillip Marshall..

Hoping for the best, however, we aren't gaining our transfers from similar level schools. Not saying these girls will not be super additions to AU. The best thing, is its important to want to be here. Just concerned with the talent level from a fans perspective rather than a coaches perspective. We see all the high profile transfers going elsewhere.

Good Luck to team and as fans, we can do our part in buying tickets and supporting their efforts.

I think with the new coaching additions, in the future, more talent is headed our way.

7 hours ago, auburnfan247 said:

On 8/21/2019 at 1:06 PM, wmsau said:

@wmsau It's not just a softball thing FWIW. Baseball & men's basketball haven't updated rosters yet either. Give it some time.

Archived