Offensive coaches wish list

tbone1430

I know we’ve talked about who would replace Gus ad nauseam, but what about our other coaching spots on offense? These are just some names I thought would be interesting to consider, not necessarily who I think would come to Auburn: 

OC: Jeff Scott, Tee Martin, Joe Brady

QB: Dan Enos, Derek Dooley 

RB: Dell McGhee, Cadillac  

WR: Jeff scott, Joe Brady if they were OC

O line: Good lord anyone other than Grimes. 

What say y’all? 

Fire Gus. What makes you think you keep any of the staff? Just not how it works. 

8 minutes ago, WarTim said:

Fire Gus. What makes you think you keep any of the staff? Just not how it works. 

Not saying that will happen and I understand how it goes but honestly if I'm a new HC at Auburn and you have the defensive stability we have the past 4 years if it ain't broke don't fix it. Just wishful thinking so we don't worsen the one good aspect of our team which is defense. We just need a new HC and offensive philosophy. 

Depends on who replaces the head guy. If you roll the dice on Steele (which absolutely should be considered, not saying it should be the final choice), you replace the offensive staff. If you hire a guy like Cristobal (or any other established coach), his staff is coming with him. 

17 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

Not saying that will happen and I understand how it goes but honestly if I'm a new HC at Auburn and you have the defensive stability we have the past 4 years if it ain't broke don't fix it. Just wishful thinking so we don't worsen the one good aspect of our team which is defense. We just need a new HC and offensive philosophy. 

With you. No one to tell a new HC he can't keep what's working. Maybe time to do things the way "they haven't always been done."

P.S. New fodder for no change..."We'll lose Steele!"

34 minutes ago, WarTim said:

This. Even Steele would likely be gone with a new hire.

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

This. Even Steele would likely be gone with a new hire.

Unless Steele is interim. 

12 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Curious if Steele is or would be I interested in a HC position.

He interviewed for the Tennessee HC position IIRC. We could definitely do worse. At best, he would hire an OC and let him do his thing.

1 minute ago, AUDevil said:

If Gus is retained, who is to say Steele stays...I’m sure he wants to win.

Doesn't his brother work in the AD? Wasn't that one of the main reasons he was hired? I think he stays because this is by far the most success he has ever had as a DC. The narrative on Steele before he got to AU was he was just a mediocre DC.

1 minute ago, AUDevil said:

I honestly think Steele would retire at Auburn if he could.  He is adding to his Alabama State Pension and he loves Auburn.  I also don't think at his age of 61 he would want to be a HC anywhere. 

"I  honestly think Steele would retire at Auburn if he could.  He is adding to his Alabama State Pension and he loves Auburn.  I also don't think at his age of 61 he would want to be a HC anywhere."

I've seen this mentioned as Steele's intention, i.e., to accrue Alabama retirement.

2 hours ago, AUDevil said:

I think he’s comfortable tbh. He’s already one of the highest paid assistant coaches in the nation

On 10/27/2019 at 4:17 PM, WarTim said:

Unless we lose to Ole Miss AND Samford, Gus isn’t going anywhere.

I'm an OL kinda guy. We are reaping the results of inconsistency in OL development and recruiting for the past 4-5 years. I know we all like to blame Gus for everything because that's the simplest solution but I believe our woes to be the conglomeration of little issues.

I remember when Gus replaced Grimes with Hand, for the most part it was met with rejoicing. "Gus is gonna bring back that Tulsa offense to Auburn" we thought... And we watched as sack counts skyrocketed. And recruiting at OL was thrown to the wayside. So poorly was OL neglected we had to steal D-linemen to make up for it. Guess where next year's back up at D-Line will be... Non-existent. But the point is, what looked like a good hire at the time had turned sour in just a few years and I don't think it's fair to persecute someone for not having that kind of foresight.

That's where I would focus the changes into the off season. And go heavy into the transfer market.

I know we also like to complain of passing trees, and maybe I'm just completely ignorant and haven't played enough Madden but timing and catching seem to be what I see as the issue. I agree I'd like to see a little more intermediate passing but overall I think it's improved over last year.

Kenny D I believe can develop a QB. Bo has a long way to go to unlearn high school habits, and Gatewood... I don't know. I know the reports I heard coming out of Fall Camp was that the offense moved better with Bo. Maybe Gatewood had the same -itis Joiner has? Maybe he doesn't have the "it". Maybe what little we've seen of him again inferior competition is an overinflation of what he can do... I just don't know. But I fully believe that if you put Gatewood in with the same game plan as Bo, you'd have similar results. Why? Because an offense is the sum of its whole.

Remember when Malzahn would run 4 wide leaving the RB with crazy amount of room to run? We can't do that because we can't even generate a run game without bringing in our heavy run packages. Which then telegraphs plays so on, so forth. But we have issues that had been ignored or overlooked that now impede this team's. Make no mistake we'll fight to win the rest of our games and should be close in all of them. That buys Malzahn another year, but 2020 looms large and if changes are not made before then, it will not be pretty.

TL;DR Malzahn is safe for one more year, but will have to make improvements on OL or else 2020 will be too ugly to survive.

8 hours ago, PigskinPat said:

Is it just me, or does it seem like about this time every year we are doing an OC wish list?

Nope. You’re right. Enough is enough. Chip Lindsey was Gus’s offensive pass guru and he lasted two seasons, before Gus took over again. This was supposed to be Gus’s opportunity to show the Auburn people his worth as an offense guy. He blew it. 

Here is Lashlee's starting QB:

Passing
Rk Player Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
1 Shane Buechele 182 288 63.2 2325 8.1 8.4 20 7 149.1

His offense averages 300 yds passing and 200 yds rushing per game.

35 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Here is Lashlee's starting QB:

Passing
Rk Player Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
1 Shane Buechele 182 288 63.2 2325 8.1 8.4 20 7 149.1

His offense averages 300 yds passing and 200 yds rushing per game.

This irritates me even more. All the students have surpassed the teacher. 

Archived