Only saban made dumber calls than

TigerOne

On 11/16/2019 at 8:48 PM, AU64 said:

Wrong.....people were questioning that Tua was playing right from the start of the game.   It just looked like there would work out OK ...but it didn't.  And does anyone really believe that NS was just a play away from taking him out.?    

He probably would have pulled him for the second half but I think he basically lied when asked about why Tua was still in the game.....wanted him to "practice the two minute drill"....what BS.   what he really meant was he wanted to tack on another TD before the half to help the playoff chances. 

Spot on AU64. He made a "business decision" to try and impress the committee folks and it backfired on him in a big way. He knew that whatever score they put up next week against a weak, lower level conference team (3-8 Western Carolina) would not mean anything and the chance they were going to be able to run up the score against the AU defense was very slim so this was going to be their one real remaining chance to put up a big number against an SEC team so he kept his less than 100% QB in the game past what he should have. Fate caught up to him.

On 11/16/2019 at 7:47 PM, AUGunsmith said:

Saban didn do anything wrong. 

Tua didn even injure the same body part. 

If you're going to bash the best coach of the modern era, at least have an actual bad coaching decision. 

While it's accurate to say that the injury to Tua was not the same body part that was already hurt, it's not accurate to say it's unrelated. The reason Tua got run down and crumpled by 2 defenders is due to his incomplete recovery from the previous injury so it was related to his previous injury in that way. A healthy Tua gets away from that double crush sack as he has done all year.

In the post-game presser you could see that Saban was visibly distraught and somewhat humbled. Was it because he knew he f'd up and someone got seriously injured from it, maybe? Was he thinking that perhaps he let his desire to win cloud his judgement and now the team and the player will have to suffer the consequences?

One thing is for sure, on this board and in the press, if Gus had been the coach they would be skewering him right now (and for some time after) for playing an injured player while being up 4 TDs.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saban opened up about his feelings, something he doesn’t do often enough, and revealed a softer, empathetic side.

“I feel bad,” Saban said. “I am hurting, aight

“So, you know, I’m not second-guessing the fact that we played him. So, what if we wouldn’t have played him and not won the game? I mean, how can you assume that you’re going to win a game by not playing your best players. I’ve never, ever done that, and I don’t intend to do that in the future. 

Archived