Bowl Projections - The Unofficial List for 2019-2020

AURealist

Gus doesn't need to tell them not to play. He just needs to make it clear that Auburn University supports their decision either way. If they don't play no one should think less of them. I didn't care for it when Carlton Davis say out two years ago but I've changed my viewpoint. What I wish would happen and what the player decides doesn't have to mesh. I wish players stayed all four years too but that ship has sailed. It's a new day and the players are entitled to make decisions based on their goals and not ours desires. Wish luck to both of these young men and thank them for giving everything they have for the team we all love. Auburn got so much more out of them than what this one bowl game could mean. If I was them I'm not sure I'd be too eager to play in the Senior Bowl either. If I was a NFL team interested Brown I don't know if I'd want him injured. What else does he need to prove? 

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't care if they decide not to play but if they don't play then we should also not be mad if we lose. Can't have it both way's. Not sure what I would do if I had millions on the line either.

42 minutes ago, bg5 said:

I don't care if they decide not to play but if they don't play then we should also not be mad if we lose. Can't have it both way's. Not sure what I would do if I had millions on the line either.

That's fair. 

By the way, I agree with those who say that these guys will likely try to play. What I can't abide is any clown calling himself a fan who would judge them negatively if they chose not to. 

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That's fair. 

By the way, I agree with those who say that these guys will likely try to play. What I can't abide is any clown calling himself a fan who would judge them negatively if they chose not to. 

I know this is about Brown and Davidson, if the best players, either side of the ball decide not to play and said fan is OK with that, then said fan should not have a problem with Gus or any of the coaches if we lose.  This is not to start a debate, but if people are not going to judge a player negatively then we shouldn't be judging a coach's performance negatively if their best weapons are not on the field to use.  

10 minutes ago, C'viewTiger said:

I know this is about Brown and Davidson, if the best players, either side of the ball decide not to play and said fan is OK with that, then said fan should not have a problem with Gus or any of the coaches if we lose.  This is not to start a debate, but if people are not going to judge a player negatively then we shouldn't be judging a coach's performance negatively if their best weapons are not on the field to use.  

I actually agree here.  But I don't think winning/losing non-playoff bowl games are that big of a deal either way in the first place.

1 hour ago, bg5 said:

I'd be doing this.

giphy (10).gif

10 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I actually agree here.  But I don't think winning/losing non-playoff bowl games are that big of a deal either way in the first place.

I'm putting a lot of emphasis on this one as a fan. I think that perception matters in a pragmatic way and I think this game will influence perception of the program. The thing about a win like the IB is that now we have momentum we need to seize.

But it's the offense that folks will be looking at. That's where we have something to prove. So if we look good on O and still lose to a good team in a shootout? I won't complain about that any more than I did about the IB loss in 2014. Gus did his job and CKS will have an aberration with an asterisk on his resume. We'll all find a way to live with that. And recruits will see a team they want to play for. 

If we lose, say, 24-10 in yet another big game where we can't sustain drives? Personally, I think that will matter, but not because of Brown or Davidson.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

That's fair. 

I'm torn on this in a way. On one hand I just want to win but on the other hand I would really like to see some guy's who are going to be here next year get a lot of playing time. If we can do both then bonus.  I totally agree about the fans.

Cant stand that this has become a thing. Its another game for the university that provided you the scholarship and opportunity to make that money. Same risk playing against Tulane, kent state, samford etc. I don't have to like it just like you don't have to agree with me. Just please don't lie about the reason you're sitting out if you decide to. No one believes you are "sick" etc. Just be a man and say "I'm sitting out to protect my health and ensure I have the means to support my family".   

6 minutes ago, auburntiger1987 said:

Cant stand that this has become a thing. Its another game for the university that provided you the scholarship and opportunity to make that money. 

You mean the university that begged you to come play for them so that they can win more games and make more money off of the football program. 

Guys like Brown, Davidson and Carlton Davis would've had great college careers and gone to the NFL with or without Auburn. 

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

Did any of these guys actually say they were sitting out yet?

Nope. It's a hypothetical conversation. We don't need things that exist to get emotional about. You know how we do. 

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I understand that .....but Auburn's loss to Central Florida has been hung over our head and over Gus's head ever since it happened. The sports world in general does not check the rosters to see who was there or not there.

Ihope we have a full roster but it will be what it will be.

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I understand that .....but Auburn's loss to Central Florida has been hung over our head and over Gus's head ever since it happened. The sports world in general does not check the rosters to see who was there or not there.

Dude we should never be losing to UCF even if we fielded our second string. 

Just now, DAG said:

Nope. Plus, who knows what guys UCF was missing- sitting, injured, whatever. 

Also, we should still be able to beat a team like Minnesota even if Derrick Brown sits out. Do our fans put an asterisk on the win to Bama even though they had arguably one the better QBs in nation out? Hell no. Cut it out 

20 minutes ago, DAG said:

They were a very good team and we took them lightly. Nobody thought the game was important until we lost it.

Just now, AU64 said:

They were a very good team and we took them lightly. Nobody thought the game was important until we lost it.

Nobody ? I thought the game was important because we needed momentum going into the off season and the trash they were speaking going into the game. Stop speaking in generalizations. Gus definitely should take each and every game important , especially since he got paid handsomely that year. He beat two #1 teams correct? Two teams who were played in the NC game, right? No reason for the team to have lost that game. Like I said, let that had been a NS coaches team and y’all would’ve been all over him.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Nobody ? I thought the game was important because we needed momentum going into the off season and the trash they were speaking going into the game. Stop speaking in generalizations. Gus definitely should take each and every game important , especially since he got paid handsomely that year. He beat two #1 teams correct? Two teams who were played in the NC game, right? No reason for the team to have lost that game. Like I said, let that had been a NS coaches team and y’all would’ve been all over him.

Go back and check the discussion on this site prior to the game. I expect Gus took it seriously but when the fans don't take it seriously and say so openly, it's likely that some of the players don't take it seriously either.

And, UCF was a pretty good team and we were playing less than full strength. The defense in particular looked pretty sad.

Just now, AU64 said:

Go back and check the discussion on this site prior to the game. I expect Gus took it seriously but when the fans don't take it seriously and say so openly, it's likely that some of the players don't take it seriously either.

And, UCF was a pretty good team and we were playing less than full strength. The defense in particular looked pretty sad.

So you are indirectly blaming the fans now? I am going to say it again, we had no business losing to UCF. If that had been a NS coached team or Dabo Swinney team , y’all would be all over them for that. 

Gus would be a fool to encourage any player who is healthy enough to play to not play. His bowl record is not good. Wins over Memphis in the Birmingham Bowl and Purdue in the Music City Bowl don't scream great coach. He has lost all the "big time" bowl games against the "big time" programs. We say we are OK with CD skipping the Peach Bowl, but then turn right around and criticize Gus for losing that game. 

If players want to sit (and there's no indication any of the players on this team will do that) then they need to just say so and not hide behind a coach making excuses for them. Being honest is respectable even to those who disagree, but hiding behind excuses is not.

5 minutes ago, TigerTale said:

If players want to sit (and there's no indication any of the players on this team will do that) then they need to just say so and not hide behind a coach making excuses for them. Being honest is respectable even to those who disagree, but hiding behind excuses is not.

I have no problem supporting this.

41 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I actually think the UCF loss is one of the most excusable of the Malzahn era.  We had just missed the playoffs.  No motivation whatsoever to be there while UCF had a shot to take down a name brand.  Game was in Atlanta, which sucks for the players as far as bowl destinations go (i.e. Atlanta is not special to most of them).  Kind of like how Bama lost to Utah in 2008.  Motivation matters, especially when you were that close to playing for a national title.

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

the UCF loss is one of the most excusable of the Malzahn era.

I wouldn’t say excusable but understandable- semantics I realize.....

I wouldn’t mind DB and MD sitting just so we can see how our backups do against a good team but of course I wouldn’t be mad if they played. 

Also does anyone think Oregon beating Utah would help us jump UF in the rankings and increase NY6 odds? 

Archived