DuBose diagnoses Tide's ills

quietfan

Don't think anyone has posted this yet (and kind of surprised they haven't):

http://www.al.com/sports/mobileregister/pf...57352236160.xml

To some, listening to Mike DuBose's advice on the current state of Alabama football would be akin to asking Bill Clinton for marriage counseling or Michael Jackson on picking out a family babysitter.

Many blame DuBose for the current malaise in the Alabama program and, perhaps, there is some rationalization

DuBose said he was deeply concerned -- not about current coach Mike Shula, for whom he had praise in spite of a two-year record of 10-15, but about the environment surrounding the program.

"I feel like there are too many people trying to run that program," he said. "There was a point in time when one man was in charge and everybody knew where the buck stopped. Now, there are 10 or 15 people trying to run that program and it won't work.

"Until somebody is in charge there and everybody who works there as far as the athletic department is concerned knows where the bucks stops, the program can't be what it can and should be."

DuBose also said he believes his immensely popular predecessor, Gene Stallings -- who averaged 10 wins a season during a seven-year run, including a national championship and four SEC title game appearances -- was pushed out before he was ready to go.

While it has been widely speculated Stallings was forced out by then president Andrew Sorensen and athletics director Bob Bockrath, the tall Texan has always been tightlipped on the subject, perhaps in part because he received a huge settlement from the school upon retirement.

"This is an opinion, not something coach Stallings ever said to me," DuBose said. "There was a group of people who maybe thought he was about to become too strong, too influential and maybe didn't want to see it happen again. I don't really think Coach was ready to retire. I think he still had a lot of coaching left in him."

DuBose declined to name the specific people but indicated they are still around and

adversely affecting the program: "I feel like there are people who are trying to influence the program who have their own agendas rather than what's best for the athletic program and especially the football program."

DuBose said he believes things are so bad that even the greatest coach in school history would be handcuffed.

"If coach Bryant were still alive today, and was coaching and the same people that were there making the decision now were making the decisions in the early '70s, coach Bryant wouldn't have had the decade of the '70s," DuBose said.

So which is more dangerous:

No one in charge so that anarchy reigns and rogue boosters/assistants/etc. run roughshod over NCAA regulations, or one person in absolute power who has no checks and balances and therefore no one to monitor or limit his/her potential abuses?

Don't think anyone has posted this yet (and kind of surprised they haven't):

http://www.al.com/sports/mobileregister/pf...57352236160.xml

To some, listening to Mike DuBose's advice on the current state of Alabama football would be akin to asking Bill Clinton for marriage counseling or Michael Jackson on picking out a family babysitter.

Many blame DuBose for the current malaise in the Alabama program and, perhaps, there is some rationalization

DuBose said he was deeply concerned -- not about current coach Mike Shula, for whom he had praise in spite of a two-year record of 10-15, but about the environment surrounding the program.

"I feel like there are too many people trying to run that program," he said. "There was a point in time when one man was in charge and everybody knew where the buck stopped. Now, there are 10 or 15 people trying to run that program and it won't work.

"Until somebody is in charge there and everybody who works there as far as the athletic department is concerned knows where the bucks stops, the program can't be what it can and should be."

DuBose also said he believes his immensely popular predecessor, Gene Stallings -- who averaged 10 wins a season during a seven-year run, including a national championship and four SEC title game appearances -- was pushed out before he was ready to go.

While it has been widely speculated Stallings was forced out by then president Andrew Sorensen and athletics director Bob Bockrath, the tall Texan has always been tightlipped on the subject, perhaps in part because he received a huge settlement from the school upon retirement.

"This is an opinion, not something coach Stallings ever said to me," DuBose said. "There was a group of people who maybe thought he was about to become too strong, too influential and maybe didn't want to see it happen again. I don't really think Coach was ready to retire. I think he still had a lot of coaching left in him."

DuBose declined to name the specific people but indicated they are still around and

adversely affecting the program: "I feel like there are people who are trying to influence the program who have their own agendas rather than what's best for the athletic program and especially the football program."

DuBose said he believes things are so bad that even the greatest coach in school history would be handcuffed.

"If coach Bryant were still alive today, and was coaching and the same people that were there making the decision now were making the decisions in the early '70s, coach Bryant wouldn't have had the decade of the '70s," DuBose said.

So which is more dangerous:

No one in charge so that anarchy reigns and rogue boosters/assistants/etc. run roughshod over NCAA regulations, or one person in absolute power who has no checks and balances and therefore no one to monitor or limit his/her potential abuses?

159051[/snapback]

Somebody's got to be in charge. It's all gonna depend on the man. The part of DuBose's interview that I've bolded above is believed by many Tide fans. I don't think Coach Stalllings was ready to leave and I know the fans weren't ready to get rid of him. There is talk about some sort of conflict between him and Bockrath. Too bad.

Had Stallings stayed on, does anyone think it may ahve been similar to Dye's last couple of years? Apparently, things were going to come down on that program just as they did at AU. By the time CPD retired, he looked as if he'd lost control of the program and didn't even resemble the same coach that started that great run.

I have a friend that is kin to Dubose. He has said this same thing every since he left. Nothing new here.

What is new is that Finebaum has finally figured out that :au: folks have other interests other than football. CTT hasnt given him an interview since what October? :au: fans just dont call in and fantasize, drink the kool-aid, or hallucinate like :ua: fans are wont to do with PFS.

Finebaum figured this out and is now serving the :ua: faithful a long tall glass of controversy so they will call in and keep his show going till August. There was several today that said that CMS will have to win more than 8 games to save his job this year. Yes folks, 9 or more to save his job... :blink:

Bama has a stud D, no doubt. But what do they have proven on O so far other than Prothro and Darby. They have a totally rebuilt line that most say will underachieve. They have an injury prone QB. And I think everyone will agree, not much imagination on play calling.

D Wins Championships.

But only if the O puts up enough points to win... :yes:

Who knows what would have happened at Alabama if Stallings had stayed on; but if this is true then it shows that people are always wanting to make a "name" for themselves or have petty problems and sadly some of these people are in positions of power in college athletics and many other facets of society... i.e. Bobby Lowder.

It is always fun to read the words of dumbose. What a great example for uaters everywhere! :D

Did any of you hear the Cecil Hurt interview yesterday? He pretty much said there is a war going on in Tuscaloosa for control of the Athletic Dept. The war is between the President and academia and "sports interests".

As of right now, they do not have the audio posted on the Finebaum website, but if they do, you would find it interesting.

Does this mean the honeymoon for flipper is over with bahr junior and the rest of the good old boys? B)

What happened to the "Evil Empire" was inevitable.... It comes from years of win, win, win and cheat, cheat, cheat. It breeds high expectations, a win at any cost attitude, and beginning to believe in your own invincibility and immunity from prosecution. The decline happened just as memory of Bryant began to wane with high school prospects not even being born when Bryant was alive let alone the Bear worship syndrome from them. The results have been disasterous because they are no longer feared, they are no longer envied, they are no longer invincible, and most of all, they KNOW IT! The one thing that is humerous is PFB's criticism of "micromanagement" by the AUBOT and Lowder while Paul Bryant and his host of cronies are mircomanaging SPAUT into the ground. Funny how Paul see's everything in Crimson colored glasses. May his glasses get thicker, his head balder, and may a thousant camel fleas camp out in his arm pits...... :D:cheer::au:

Guest Tigrinum Major
The results have been disasterous because they are no longer feared, they are no longer envied, they are no longer invincible, and most of all, they KNOW IT! 

159373[/snapback]

No, the funny part is that there is a group that does't know it. I am not painting with a broad brush, but there is a group of their fans that think it is their birthright that Alabama wins championships and dominates the SEC. And you will never convince them otherwise, even when using logic to point out that scholly restrictions and NCAA sructiny will never allow a school or coach to run roughshod over the landscape of college football again. NEVER. It ain't happening. Not at Auburn, LSU, UT, UGA and espcially not at Bama.

The best thing they can hope for is not to be mired in the tire threads of mediocrity as Auburn and LSU ride over their backs on the way to Atlanta. The only thing keeping them from being lower than a snake's butt in a wagon rut is the pitiful programs at the schools in Mississippi.

Alabama will be good again. They will go to Atlanta again. But they will never experience the 70's again.

Archived