Four Quid pro quos

TexasTiger

5 hours ago, homersapien said:

Do you still back Trump's lie about that Joe Biden's criticism of Shokin was to protect his son Hunter?

Are you willing to admit you were wrong? 

The story behind Biden’s son, Ukraine and Trump’s claims

"....The matter, however, has continued to be questioned by Trump and his allies. They’ve pointed in particular to Biden’s move in March 2016 to pressure the Ukrainian government to fire its top prosecutor, Viktor Shokin, who had previously led an investigation into Burisma’s owner.

Biden was representing the official position of the U.S. government, a position that was also supported by other Western governments and many in Ukraine, who accused Shokin of being soft on corruption."

Corruption has continued to fester in Ukraine. In May, the country’s new president, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, came into office with no political experience but with bold promises to put an end to the corrupt practices.

Around this time, Giuliani began reaching out to Zelenskiy and his aides to press for a government investigation into Burisma and Hunter Biden’s role with the company.

In a Fox News interview on May 19, Trump claimed the former Ukrainian prosecutor “was after” Joe Biden’s son and that was why the former vice president demanded he be fired. There is no evidence of this.

Ukraine’s current prosecutor, Yuriy Lutsenko, was quoted by Bloomberg News in May as saying he had no evidence of wrongdoing by Biden or his son. Bloomberg also reported that the investigation into Burisma was dormant at the time Biden pressed for Shokhin’s ouster.

No.  I believe that some thought Shokin was corrupt, and as thus could not be controlled by Biden and other Ukrainian officials to shield Hunter from any findings Shokin may have discovered.  Joe could not take the chance that Shokin would have protected him, so he had to go.  I understand you have your version of who and what Shokin was. Doesn't make it the truth.  

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Ted Cruze tweeted this timeline recently. It seems like an investigation is in order.

image.png

That time line alone should get a special counsel. And unlike some here, I am not guaranteeing anything, All i am saying is that LOOKS so bad and so suspicious it deserves a look. 

12 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

That time line alone should get a special counsel. And unlike some here, I am not guaranteeing anything, All i am saying is that LOOKS so bad and so suspicious it deserves a look. 

I agree, if nothing else it will give the public answers.

11 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

I agree, if nothing else it will give the public answers.

No problem with that. Openly and publicly! Not underhandedly by Rudy and his two crooks through the media and a foreign government. That’s why we where we are. 

14 hours ago, alexava said:

No problem with that. Openly and publicly! Not underhandedly by Rudy and his two crooks through the media and a foreign government. That’s why we where we are. 

I do wish the investigation was done by the Feds, but here we are.  It will come to a head soon.

On 1/26/2020 at 4:45 PM, jj3jordan said:

No.  I believe that some thought Shokin was corrupt, and as thus could not be controlled by Biden and other Ukrainian officials to shield Hunter from any findings Shokin may have discovered.  Joe could not take the chance that Shokin would have protected him, so he had to go.  I understand you have your version of who and what Shokin was. Doesn't make it the truth.  

"some" thought Shokin was corrupt? :laugh:

He was pretty much acknowledged by the entire world who is in a position to know, that he was corrupt.  That fact was at the core of U.S. policy:

"His appointment was controversial from the outset and he was widely considered to be a key obstacle in the fight against corruption, with accusations that he had blocked cases against allies and influential figures. He was dismissed in March 2016 after pressure from the United States, European Union and international financial institutions, as well as Ukrainian anti-corruption campaigners. In 2019, Shokin became embroiled in the scandal that led to the impeachment of Donald Trump, the US president, for soliciting foreign interference in the 2020 US presidential election to help his re-election bid.".......

......."Through 2015 and early 2016, domestic and international pressure (including from the IMF, the EU, and the EBRD) built for Shokin to be removed from office. The Obama administration withheld $1 billion in loan guarantees to pressure the Ukrainian government to remove Shokin from office.[20][21][22] His defenders nonetheless argued that he played an important role "balancing competing political interests".[23] His Deputy Prosecutor, Vitaly Kasko, announced his resignation on 15 February 2016 denouncing the corruption and lawlessness of the Prosecutor's office.[24]

On 16 February 2016, Shokin submitted a letter of resignation,[25] although the next day an official of the prosecution office stated, "As far as I know he has taken a paid leave".[26] On 19 February 2016 presidential press secretary Sviatoslav Tsegolko wrote on Twitter that the presidential administration had received an official letter of resignation from Shokin.[27]

On 16 March 2016 an official of the prosecution office stated that Shokin had resumed his work.[4] On the same day, his office carried out a raid against one of Ukraine's leading anti-corruption groups, the Anti-Corruption Action Center (AntAC), claiming that it had misappropriated aid money.[17] AntAC was a frequent critic of the Prosecutor General's Office under Shokin.[28] In one notorious case, two of Shokin's prosecutors were caught with stashes of diamonds, cash and valuables in their homes, likely indicating bribery. Prosecutors from another department of Shokin's office were fired or reassigned when they attempted to bring a prosecution against the so-called "diamond prosecutors".[29]

On 28 March, protesters called for Shokin's firing, after his office was authorized by a Kiev court to investigate AntAC.[17][30] Shokin was formally dismissed in a parliamentary vote on 29 March 2016.[31] The European Union praised Shokin's dismissal due to a "lack of tangible results" of his office's investigations, and also because people in Shokin's office were themselves being investigated.[6] Following his dismissal Shokin went into retirement.[32]"

Failure to properly investigate Burisma Holdings

In 2012, the Ukrainian prosecutor general Viktor Pshonka began investigating Ukrainian oligarch Mykola Zlochevsky, owner of the natural gas company Burisma Holdings, over allegations of money laundering, tax evasion, and corruption during 2010–2012.[33][34]

In 2015, Shokin became the prosecutor general, inheriting the investigation. The Obama administration and other governments and non-governmental organizations soon became concerned that Shokin was not adequately pursuing corruption in Ukraine, was protecting the political elite, and was regarded as "an obstacle to anti-corruption efforts".[22] Among other issues, he was slow-walking the investigation into Zlochevsky and Burisma and using the threat of prosecution to try to solicit bribes from Mr. Zlochevsky and his team – to the extent that Obama officials were considering launching their own criminal investigation into the company for possible money laundering.[33]

While visiting Kiev in December 2015, then-U.S. Vice President Joe Biden warned Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko that, if he did not fire Shokin, the Obama administration was prepared to withhold $1 billion in loan guarantees. Biden later said: "I looked at them and said, 'I'm leaving in six hours. If the prosecutor is not fired, you're not getting the money.' [...] He got fired. And they put in place someone who was solid at the time."[35][36] Shokin was dismissed by Parliament in late March 2016.

In a sworn affidavit dated 4 September 2019,[37] for a European court, Shokin testified that "On several occasions President Poroshenko asked me to have a look at the criminal case against Burisma and consider the possibility of winding down the investigative actions in respect of this company, but I refused to close this investigation."[38] Shokin wrote the affidavit in support of Ukrainian oligarch Dmytro Firtash.[39] John Herbst, the U.S. ambassador to Ukraine during the George W. Bush administration, said that Shokin's support of Firtash, who had been arrested for bribery in 2014, undercuts Shokin's claims to be motivated by transparency.[40][41]

Shokin claimed in May 2019 that he had been investigating Burisma Holdings.[29][42][43] However, Vitaly Kasko, who had been Shokin's deputy overseeing international cooperation before resigning in February 2016 citing corruption in the office, provided documents to Bloomberg News indicating that under Shokin, the investigation into Burisma had been dormant.[44][45]

The investigation into Burisma only pertained to events happening before[46] Joe Biden's son, Hunter Biden, joined the board of directors of Burisma Holdings in 2014.[47] US President Donald Trump's subsequent bid to pressure Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky to announce an investigation of Joe Biden in relation to Burisma led to the December 2019 impeachment of Trump."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_Shokin

There is absolutely nothing to suggest Biden was trying to protect his son by promoting the removal of Shokin.

There is also nothing to suggest that Joe Biden didn't do everything he could to protect his son.

Sen. Joe Biden working railroad appropriations. Hunter gets named to the Amtrak board.

Sen. Joe Biden helps rewrite Bankruptcy laws. Hunter is named to the MasterCard board.

Ukraine and then China.

On 1/26/2020 at 3:45 PM, jj3jordan said:

On 2/2/2020 at 7:39 AM, WDavE said:

There is also nothing to suggest that Joe Biden didn't do everything he could to protect his son.

Sen. Joe Biden working railroad appropriations. Hunter gets named to the Amtrak board.

Sen. Joe Biden helps rewrite Bankruptcy laws. Hunter is named to the MasterCard board.

Ukraine and then China.

This stuff has been happening for decades...yet now it’s a big deal when one side sees no way to take down the man who they once saw and sought as a political supporter. You can’t make this stuff up.......wait. It’s 2020. 🤣

• 2 weeks later...

it is funny how some defend the Biden crime syndicate here, as if they are on Joe's payroll..  all this bogus impeachment talk is to keep the spotlight on one  totally baseless witchhunt after another, while the lifers in DC try to keep the flow of laundered tax (foreign aid) money in their families pockets..It is way past time for term limits in DC, I think we all can agree...

4 hours ago, keoson7 said:

it is funny how some defend the Biden crime syndicate here, as if they are on Joe's payroll..  all this bogus impeachment talk is to keep the spotlight on one  totally baseless witchhunt after another, while the lifers in DC try to keep the flow of laundered tax (foreign aid) money in their families pockets..It is way past time for term limits in DC, I think we all can agree...

"the Biden crime syndicate"??   :rolleyes:

You sound like a Russian bot.

17 hours ago, homersapien said:

"the Biden crime syndicate"??   :rolleyes:

You sound like a Russian bot.

Hey!!! How did he get promoted to Bot? I thought we were all Deplorables? And if we did it real well, we earned the title of Russian Plant...Like Tulsi...

This new Bot thing, can we see a list of Job Expectations and Benefits? Maybe a Job Description?

Archived