“Together we WILL”

abw0004

Tons of posts on Twitter about this from current and former players, including Apple CEO Tim Cook. Good to see the unity around this. I also see that the proceeds are going to scholarships for minorities. Has funding for minority scholarships been a major issue at AU?

48 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Has funding for minority scholarships been a major issue at AU?

Not according to a good friend of mine who recently retired from his professorship at Auburn. Beyond that, I have no knowledge.

59 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Tons of posts on Twitter about this from current and former players, including Apple CEO Tim Cook. Good to see the unity around this. I also see that the proceeds are going to scholarships for minorities. Has funding for minority scholarships been a major issue at AU?

Seems like the unity message would want scholarships for all people who can’t afford it.

11 minutes ago, toddc said:

Seems like the unity message would want scholarships for all people who can’t afford it.

That's not the message that has been going on for months. The unity aspect is that black and brown people want the same level of support as white people currently experience, along with extra help to bring them up to that level due to the years of being left behind.

34 minutes ago, jared52 said:

That's not the message that has been going on for months. The unity aspect is that black and brown people want the same level of support as white people currently experience, along with extra help to bring them up to that level due to the years of being left behind.

I thought scholarship programs already did that for qualifying people of all backgrounds. Is there discrimination in Auburn University scholarship offers that I’m not aware of, because I think that would be helpful to know?

16 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Really like a few things here:

• The logo for it is awesome
  • The "together" idea instead of separating, attacking one side, or alienating anyone
  • I love it wasn't some half-a** release through the store. They really coordinated this well players, coaches, former athletes from varying sports all made nice posts about it.

Very well done and I think I'll be ordering a gray one.

55 minutes ago, jared52 said:

equality-twitter.png

I believe this is the general idea.

25 minutes ago, toddc said:

I thought scholarship programs already did that for qualifying people of all backgrounds. Is there discrimination in Auburn University scholarship offers that I’m not aware of, because I think that would be helpful to know?

I also think it has to do with providing more outreach to provide better paths and ways to get them to apply and qualify. It's having a  more proactive group reaching out to more disadvantaged young people, than saying ok, here are the qualifications, if you apply, good. It's also possible that they will be reducing restrictions and barriers that keep them from qualifying. This is just a guess, though.

4 hours ago, Zeek said:

Really like a few things here:

• The logo for it is awesome
  • The "together" idea instead of separating, attacking one side, or alienating anyone
  • I love it wasn't some half-a** release through the store. They really coordinated this well players, coaches, former athletes from varying sports all made nice posts about it.

Very well done and I think I'll be ordering a gray one.

Absolutely. Very impressive marketing. My TL was immediately overwhelmed by Auburn folks pushing this. If we could just coordinate our offense that well, hey-o!

It's unfortunate that the minor BLM organization has tainted the vastly larger and positive movement of the same name in the minds of so many, and that Auburn was compelled to separate in this way, but it was likely the right decision. Like y'all said, Auburn's entire athletic community seems very on board with is so I am, too. 

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Absolutely. Very impressive marketing. My TL was immediately overwhelmed by Auburn folks pushing this. If we could just coordinate our offense that well, hey-o!

It's unfortunate that the minor BLM organization has tainted the vastly larger and positive movement of the same name in the minds of so many, and that Auburn was compelled to separate in this way, but it was likely the right decision. Like y'all said, Auburn's entire athletic community seems very on board with is so I am, too. 

Totally agree here. The sentiment is where the focus needs to be, not the organization. The organization turns a lot of people off. 

5 hours ago, Zeek said:

equality-twitter.png

I believe this is the general idea.

As the youngest in my family, I was always told to wait my turn. My older siblings didn't get to ( fill in blank ) when they were your age, .... 

Frick equity. Life i s about merit and delayed gratification. 

7 hours ago, toddc said:

Maybe, but it’s probably deeper than that. Lots of black and brown students don’t do well enough in primary and secondary schools to qualify. I’d love to see more efforts go to helping kids at an earlier age and propping up schools in low income areas where lots of single parent homes exist. Honestly, after the COVID school-at-home stuff I have a brand new picture of just how hard it is for single parents to help their kids in school and feed them at the same time. We can go on and on about how they got there, but I don’t want to see those kids punished for things they didn’t decide or cause. 

Seems to me that preparing kids for college is something that is necessary before the discussion of scholarships ...but don't mind me. 

1 hour ago, AURaptor said:

As the youngest in my family, I was always told to wait my turn. My older siblings didn't get to ( fill in blank ) when they were your age, .... 

Frick equity. Life i s about merit and delayed gratification. 

What a wonderfully revealing post.  Just to be clear, how long should those seeking equity need to wait?

1 hour ago, jared52 said:

Maybe, but it’s probably deeper than that. Lost of black and brown students don’t do well enough in primary and secondary schools to qualify. I’d love to see more efforts go to helping kids at an earlier age and propping up schools in low income areas where lots of single parent homes exist. Honestly, after the COVID school-at-home stuff I have a brand new picture of just how hard it is for single parents to help their kids in school and feed them at the same time. We can go on and on about how they got there, but I don’t want to see those kids punished for things they didn’t decide or cause. 

School choice!

Staying out of the whole political discussion, I hope, here are my thoughts:

1. I like the idea of Unity and promoting love for your fellow man, regardless of race, ethnicity, etc. and I appreciate the coaches and players stepping forward and promoting this.

2. I like the heart/hand part of the logo, but the design as a whole could be more dynamic. 

3. I believe in the Auburn creed, and I hope that whatever they plan will align with this:

"I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work. I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully."

People are asking about minority scholarships. I'm more interested in the retention aspect, which is even more important. Would love to know more about how the money is being used to accomplish that goal. Good stuff, Auburn. 

2 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

In addition, how about bringing down the incredibly high college tuition costs in the first place. It has gotten outrageous.

Easy fix. Cut this "out of state tuition" crap and cut out excess fat (redudent positions). If you cut out of state tuition colleges have to compete across state lines more and prices will lower.

1 hour ago, jared52 said:

The difficulty there is getting the kids to the school of their choice. 

You give inner city /poor areas school choice and I’ll bet anything their parents would find a way!

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

What a wonderfully revealing post.  Just to be clear, how long should those seeking equity need to wait?

If you're talking about what i was referring to, with the 3 people trying to look over a fence  ( instead of buying a ticket ) , 2 already have it, and the 3rd - the youngest -  it'll be  a few years. 

If you're talking overall ? Never. Equity isn't possible in a free society . It's unnatural and shouldn't be sought after. 

Archived