Gus mask

ScubaSteve

34 minutes ago, Zinzan said:

Who's he protecting himself from

Masks aren't primarily intended to protect the person wearing them. 

As for the brand, I'm assuming it's the same brand Pat Dye wore. 

Hey-O

1 hour ago, Zinzan said:

Not much social distancing or personal protection in the locker room. Who's he protecting himself from on the sidelines?

On the sidelines, he is protecting himself from fines by the SEC and social media canceling.

14 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

On the sidelines, he is protecting himself from fines by the SEC and social media canceling.

Exactly this. 
It’s mandatory virtue signaling required by the league. The NFL also requires it. 
It’s quite pointless (since the coaches are tested exactly like the players) but it is the rule. 

7 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Optics

Yeah, that’s how I see it. Just surprised Auburn isn’t as concerned about the optics revealed in the Auburn Football Review. I’m not any more worried about him getting the virus (or spreading it) then if I hadn’t seen this on AFR, but would just hate to see him and Auburn called out on it  

14 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I remember when a lot of what people call “virtue signaling” was good old fashioned “setting a good example.”

I remember when *setting a good example* were to people in your immediate sphere of influence.  *Virtue signaling* people are just annoying. JMO.

20 hours ago, Zinzan said:

Not much social distancing or personal protection in the locker room. Who's he protecting himself from on the sidelines?

People outside of the Auburn football organization. Referees, security, media, and everyone else that's a part of the game day experience.

24 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I remember when *setting a good example* were to people in your immediate sphere of influence.  *Virtue signaling* people are just annoying. JMO.

Prominent coaches, athletes, and such have larger spheres of influence than me or you.

I mean, Jesus got baptized by John the Baptist and He was sinless.  Was that virtue signaling or setting an example for the rest of us that actually need to be cleansed from our sins?

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Prominent coaches, athletes, and such have larger spheres of influence than me or you.

I mean, Jesus got baptized by John the Baptist and He was sinless.  Was that virtue signaling or setting an example for the rest of us that actually need to be cleansed from our sins?

I’m not talking about influential people setting a good example; I’m talking about the KARENs of the world, but you know that.

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

I’m not talking about influential people setting a good example; I’m talking about the KARENs of the world, but you know that.

Well, I thought we were talking about Gus wearing a mask on Saturday.

9 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Well, I thought we were talking about Gus wearing a mask on Saturday.

Well, what’s your opinion of Gus in the locker room mask less?  Was that not setting a good example?  Why did he wear it on the sidelines and not in the locker room?  Basically, he wore it when he had to because of, as someone said, optics.  If you are setting a good example you have to be consistent in your actions.

Just now, I_M4_AU said:

Well, what’s your opinion of Gus in the locker room mask less?  Was that not setting a good example?  Why did he wear it on the sidelines and not in the locker room?  Basically, he wore it when he had to because of, as someone said, optics.  If you are setting a good example you have to be consistent in your actions.

I thought it was mandatory for coaches and refs to wear masks and had nothing to do with setting an example or virtue signaling. jmho 

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Yes.  It would be not setting a good example.  

7 minutes ago, toddc said:

I thought it was mandatory for coaches and refs to wear masks and had nothing to do with setting an example or virtue signaling. jmho 

I’m sure it is mandatory and props to Gus for wearing the type of mask he did and taking it off in the locker room when it was no longer required.  The over abundance of caution (and optics) were the reason for the masks in the first place.  IMO.

Archived