Postal worker admits fabricating allegations of voter fraud

TitanTiger

A Pennsylvania postal worker whose claims have been cited by top Republicans as potential evidence of widespread voting irregularities admitted to U.S. Postal Service investigators that he fabricated the allegations, according to three people briefed on the investigation and a statement from a House congressional committee.

But on Monday, Hopkins, 32, told investigators from the U.S. Postal Service’s Office of Inspector General that the allegations were not true, and he signed an affidavit recanting his claims, according to the people who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe an ongoing investigation. Democrats on the House Oversight Committee tweeted late Tuesday that the “whistleblower completely RECANTED.”

Hopkins did not respond to messages seeking comment.

The reversal comes as Trump has refused to concede to President-elect Joe Biden (D), citing unproven allegations about widespread voter fraud in an attempt to swing the results in his favor. Republicans held up Hopkins’s claims as among the most credible because he signed an affidavit swearing that he overheard a supervisor instructing colleagues to backdate ballots mailed after Nov. 3.

The Trump campaign provided that affidavit to Graham, who in turn asked the Justice Department and FBI to launch an investigation.

The Trump campaign also cited reports of the allegation in a federal lawsuit filed Monday against Pennsylvania election officials that seeks to prevent them from certifying the states’ election results.

The Trump campaign, the Department of Justice and Graham did not immediately respond to requests for comment Tuesday.

The Erie postmaster, Rob Weisenbach, called the allegations “100% false” in a Facebook post and said they were made “by an employee that was recently disciplined multiple times.”

“The Erie Post Office did not back date any ballots,” Weisenbach wrote.

The Postal Service Inspector General’s Office informed members of Congress in a briefing on Tuesday that Hopkins had recanted his allegations, according to a Congressional aide. The investigators first interviewed Hopkins on Friday, the aide said.

Hopkins’ allegations, without his name, were first aired last week by Project Veritas, an organization that uses deceptive tactics to expose what it says is bias and corruption in the mainstream media. Hopkins agreed to attach his name to the allegations late last week. He was instantly celebrated by Trump supporters.

Project Veritas’ founder James O’Keefe on Saturday hailed Hopkins as “an American hero” on Twitter. A GoFundMe page created under Hopkins’ name had raised more than $135,000 by Tuesday evening, with donors praising him as a patriot and whistleblower.

“Your donations are going to help me in the case I am wrongfully terminated from my job or I am forced into resigning due to ostrizization (sic) by my co-workers,” the page states. “It will help me get a new start in a place I feel safe and help me with child support until I am able to get settled and get a job.”

Separately, on Monday Project Veritas announced it was offering a “$25,000 reward” for “first hand election fraud tips in Pennsylvania.” Late Tuesday, O’Keefe claimed to have recordings of agents questioning Hopkins and said that he was pressured to sign a document he did not understand.

The U.S. Postal Service said in a statement over the weekend that it had referred Hopkins’ allegations to the U.S. Postal Inspection Service and the Office of Inspector General. 

The U.S. Postal Inspection Service declined to comment on Tuesday morning, referring questions to the Office of Inspector General. A spokesperson for that office said it was still “looking into the matter” Tuesday afternoon and declined to elaborate.

The U.S. Postal Service also did not respond to questions about Hopkins’ employment status on Tuesday.

A page on the social networking site LinkedIn that matches Hopkins’ name and other biographical details says he served in the United States Marine Corps from 2007 to 2012. Hopkins subsequently held numerous jobs for short periods of time, including as a nurse’s aide and as an employee at a hydrologic fracking company in Texas, according to a Facebook profile. The Facebook page says he became a letter carrier in Erie in August 2018.

Dalton Bennett and Alice Crites contributed reporting.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/postal-worker-fabricated-ballot-pennsylvania/2020/11/10/99269a7c-2364-11eb-8599-406466ad1b8e_story.html

Being asked to put your hand on a Bible and swear to tell the whole truth tends to have that effect. 

Or maybe it's the jail. 

I dunno.

I did a cursory review of the statement. Seemed like a lot of it was hearsay, which would minimize the personal knowledge mandate. Someone correct me if I am mistaken. I’m not advocating one way or the other, trying to be objective.

51 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

I did a cursory review of the statement. Seemed like a lot of it was hearsay, which would minimize the personal knowledge mandate. Someone correct me if I am mistaken. I’m not advocating one way or the other, trying to be objective.

You're correct.  Trump campaign is currently 0-for-12 in court challenges on the election so far.  Pretty much every ruling has been because of hearsay or complete lack of evidence.

17 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Yes and Trump's lawyers (you know, the non-stupid ones) are having a hard time right not, as their lack of success in court so far reveals.

But Mr. Hopkins needs to shut up and lawyer up, especially if he lied to investigators. And he REALLY needs to get away from O'Keefe. 

3 hours ago, AUFriction said:

Trump has since tweeted a sketchy story from an incredible source saying that the recanter unrecanted.

He did, on YouTube. That sworn affidavit still stands though. I doubt he would recant that to an investigator.

Lying on YouTube is one thing. Lying to federal investigators is an entirely different animal. 

4 hours ago, AUFriction said:

Trump has since tweeted a sketchy story from an incredible source saying that the recanter unrecanted.

You know that face some folks make when they look up after hearing something that makes then go "What the f?" ;) 

None.Too.Bright.Capture.PNG

Archived