Powell Injury (Update 3/1)

kwagoner

16 hours ago, cole256 said:

Yes. And I feel many just looked at some stats and didn't take in account who we were playing. Once again not saying he's not talented or anything like that but even the game against Memphis where he shot the ball excellent I might add, you wouldn't come away from that film saying he can play point. He should be viewed as an emergency guy but when he was pressured, especially full court pressure, he would really have to slow down and put his back to the defender. It was shaky and if he had continued they would have scouted him and be all over that. Probably push him to his weak hand and sit on top of his cross over to force the ball to stay in the weak hand. 

If you can find a box score that kept tally he would commit a BUNCH of turn overs as well. Then you have the game against gonzaga where everybody but flanningan was was scared (which is why I be so confused everybody being all over him but so quick to praise coop, Powell and the others)

Really need to wait before we crown people. We already sort of saw this season how people will implode because of unreal expectations. 

And once again I'm not saying Powell isn't good I'm talking about comments like we need Powell back because he's the only person with a high IQ or just him coming back supposed to save the day in general.....as if he's like ja morant was to his team. That's not the case. The case is he'll add to the summation of parts that's needed from EVERYBODY. He's not effecting the game in a bunch of different ways; carry the team good. Nobody on the team is that good yet.

One of the cases I made about this years team is we didn't have a STAR (to me a star is somebody that can put the team on his back and carry the team when things are going bad). We had a few players who carried the team at times but none that you felt could  win even when other team knew he was the man.  Powell will never be that type player but you can say that about 99.95% of all players.  Cole is being honest about Powell he is not saying he is a bad player he is saying he is a good player who fits into the team concept. Cooper because of his ability to penetrate and score and his vision to help others score might be that type of player in the future but for Cooper to be able to be a Star he has to have the type of players whose games he can elevate.  Coopers Star power is elevating the game of players around him. Getting Cardwell, Thor, Cambridge easy dunks, getting open three point shots for wing players and penetrating and scoring enough to force teams to account for him to the point that it leaves others open. 

If you watch the big dance two types of teams get to last 16 every year. One the teams with one or two stars (usually two) and two the teams that have been together for a while and work like a well oiled machine both on O and on D and usually the later type team that also has a Star is the one who brings home the trophy.  This years team did not have enough experience playing together to be a well oiled machine and did not have a STAR but they did have a lot of very talented players who if the majority stay together can become the well oiled machine in the future that will just need a star or two to make the big jump.  The Star can be a new player or a player who develops and gets better from year to year.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived