Powell Injury (Update 3/1)

kwagoner

On 2/7/2021 at 9:52 AM, ellitor said:

I think the biggest thing for him has been the compound of concussions. He had at least one similar like it in high school.

Assuming he IS able to make it back on the court, is there any kind of protection he could wear to help with that without affecting his game too much?

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Assuming he IS able to make it back on the court, is there any kind of protection he could wear to help with that without affecting his game too much?

Great question I never thought about that.

8 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Great question I never thought about that.

Yeah, well, I want to see him out there again, but I DON'T want him to risk more permanent injury. I would think he might be able to wear one of those wrestling-style head coverings, but I don't know how feasible that might be.

14 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Yeah, well, I want to see him out there again, but I DON'T want him to risk more permanent injury. I would think he might be able to wear one of those wrestling-style head coverings, but I don't know how feasible that might be.

Having played Rugby for years I immediately thought about the head covering that Second Row Players and 8 Men wear it does not impede your vision at all and I though the foam would help.  

I decided to do some research after you mentioned it sadly it does not appear to help.

https://www.axissportsmedicine.co.nz/blog/archive/do-headgear-and-helmets-prevent-concussions/#:~:text=Helmets and headgear are unlikely to be effective in these cases.&text=Helmets do have a role,and other soft tissue injuries.

43 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Assuming he IS able to make it back on the court

@RednillaDon’t think anyone can assume that right now.

44 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

is there any kind of protection he could wear to help with that without affecting his game too much?

Not in my knowledge sphere.

On 2/2/2021 at 7:26 AM, ellitor said:

FWIW an insider on the bunker says there was a stretch where he couldn’t even walk without getting dizzy or blacking out. He is struggling. This isn’t his first concussion and the other bad one was from the back of the head too when he was in high school.

Feel so bad for JP. I just want him to get healthy for his quality of life at this point.

Damage from concussions is cumulative. JP should never touch a BB again. The risk for serious physical and mental damage from a 3rd concussion is just too strong. He is young and his brain still has growing to do. It's critical that he suffers no more blows to the head. 

1 hour ago, Tigerbelle said:

Damage from concussions is cumulative. JP should never touch a BB again. The risk for serious physical and mental damage from a 3rd concussion is just too strong. He is young and his brain still has growing to do. It's critical that he suffers no more blows to the head. 

Thank you for that information. I hope the medical staff informs him and his family of this as sport as much as I love it, is not as important as your long term health.  He needs to make a decision based on his long term health not just his love for the sport. It is a difficult decision as much time as he has invested in becoming this good you know he will want to continue playing.  That is why he needs this type on information presented to him.

If he's had multiple long term concussions, I definitely think we should be scouting for some potential replacements. It's going to certainly be something his family debates on, and I'd hope we're prepared for the worst. 

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

@Eisenhower_1952 Yes. Texas A&M game.

Nobody would have known though. I happened to see what I though might be him hitting the deck.

Announcers never mentioned our PG missing the second half, rather how snazzy Buzz was dressed and his fresh dance moves.

14 minutes ago, kwagoner said:

Nobody would have known though. I happened to see what I though might be him hitting the deck.

Announcers never mentioned our PG missing the second half, rather how snazzy Buzz was dressed and his fresh dance moves.

@kwagoner I never saw it because I was busy that day. Just going by what others said about him hitting heads with Stretch or some thing.

15 hours ago, ellitor said:

@kwagoner I never saw it because I was busy that day. Just going by what others said about him hitting heads with Stretch or some thing.

JP fell and hit his head on the floor. 

Concussions are no joke.  I have had multiple concussions in my life from sports and the Army.   One of the first ones I had was so bad from playing #8 in rugby I ended up in the hospital for several days and it felt like an AX spilt my head open.  Yes they are cumulative and the more you get the easier it is to get the next one.  To this day I have issues with bright lights and memory lose.  Since he has been out this long, I do not see him coming back this year.  I was also surprised Grant Calcaterra from OU decided to come back to football after sitting out from concussions.

I can think of so many athletes who are victims of concussions and the effects that they can have on a person's life....Terry Beasley, Tre Mason.....Luke Kuechley . It's a very tough decision for an athlete to make. I just wish there was some way to prevent concussions altogether. 

55 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

I can think of so many athletes who are victims of concussions and the effects that they can have on a person's life....Terry Beasley, Tre Mason.....Luke Kuechley . It's a very tough decision for an athlete to make. I just wish there was some way to prevent concussions altogether. 

Don't think I knew Tre had a concussion.

According to Hooks, Powell is making real progress now. I would like to see him back, as in real fast, but I also kinda' hope he doesn't come back until next season. Playing a sport is not worth ruining your health.

I kept up with T. Mason during those times when he was acting strange. I wondered back then if all the licks to head that he took might have had something to do with his erratic behavior. Its obvious now. It was a real bad part of Gus's idea to ride a good back to damn near exhaustion and not play anyone else,except for plays here and there. I hope Mason has recovered. I have not read or heard anything in a while

Chizhead great on the progress like you I want him to not come back this year as his health comes first and he should also get as much information as possible because as serious as the concussion was he might be better off not playing basketball again.

Definitely a big glue guy, I hope he doesn't come back this season at this point, unless it's just for a few low risk situations towards the end of the season. Just no value, and based on the direction of the season, I don't think we're all aligned with our "goals" currently (playing a bit aimless). 

With covid hopefully winding down, let him figure things out with his new teammates next offseason. We SHOULD have enough experience to allow him that luxury 

FWIW JGT is saying it's more than a concussion. He says JP has/had a skull fracture caused by a friendly fire elbow to the back of his head by Stretch.

10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

FWIW JGT is saying it's more than a concussion. He says JP has/had a skull fracture caused by a friendly fire elbow to the back of his head by Stretch.

did that happen before the concussion or around the same time, not that it matters?

Archived