Exactly what was the previous staff doing?

chizhead

On 1/30/2021 at 6:43 AM, dyehardfanAU said:

LOL.  Ok, last time I play this game.  SEC Freshman of the Year?!?!?!?!?! OMGH!WTF!BBQ!!!!

Nice to see you mentioned we finished 7th in rushing offense, 7th in sacks allowed, 9th in first downs, 6th in 3rd down conversions, 5th in TFL allowed.

There is no way a team who has had such solid OL recruiting as you continuously claim would throw out that many poor stats.  Even with a few injuries a team that has recruited so solid along the OL would have the depth to step up.

You're either a shameful homer or a troll that the mods have let stick around too long.

When half of your two deep on the offensive line is filled with defensive lineman recruits, juco guys and grad transfers you know you are killing it at evaluating and developing o-lineman!!

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/30/2021 at 10:21 AM, Tigerpro2a said:

I for one definitely want you to be here though. Homer or not, it is good to hear different opinions. Sometimes I get too doom and gloom and it is nice to hear someone with a positive outlook.

He's not a homer and he doesn't have a positive outlook. He's a troll and an antagonist. 

Like so many things, Gus was 100% clueless when it came to recruiting the best of the best in high school. If we had had a HC & staff, we would have won more games and recruited a hell of a lot better the past 8 years. Though we didn't win a NC, we c would have had top 15 or top 10 classes. Heck, look at Georgia. They never won any NC's, but check out their recruiting classes every year. Their always in the top 10.

5 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

we c would have had top 15 or top 10 classes.

Should I tell him we had top 15 classes every year before this one & top 10 in all but 2 before this one?

29 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Should I tell him we had top 15 classes every year before this one & top 10 in all but 2 before this one?

You’re the Job of this bunch, don’t forget it. Splain it nicely.

4 minutes ago, toddc said:

You’re the Job of this bunch, don’t forget it. Splain it nicely.

He's patience is unbelievable. I admire the heck out of that.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Yes, top 10 recruiting classes, then 21 million dollars later.... finish a recruiting class 11th in the SEC.

1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

then 21 million dollars later.... finish a recruiting class 11th in the SEC

That was always going to happen with a coaching change, especially given how stale he made the product for the recruits.

ETA: that being said if we finish & land who we expect to land to finish the class we will finish eighth in the conference.

34 minutes ago, ellitor said:

That was always going to happen

I believe it was going to happen even if there wasn't a coaching change. It wasn't in the cards for Gus to pull in a hot class this year. Things were seriously snowballing all season

21 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

I believe it was going to happen even if there wasn't a coaching change. It wasn't in the cards for Gus to pull in a hot class this year. Things were seriously snowballing all season

@jAUSon ratings wise it would’ve definitely been better had he not been fired. Goodwin was set to recommit. Wallace was a silent commit. Five star linebacker from Florida was a silent commit. Balfour was a heavy Auburn lean. Probably would not have lost OG Jaeden Roberts or safety Phillip O’Brien. They would not have affected rankings but transfer Eric Wilson and the Oklahoma TE were commits that we lost.

58 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@jAUSon ratings wise it would’ve definitely been better had he not been fired. Goodwin was set to recommit. Wallace was a silent commit. Five star linebacker from Florida was a silent commit. Balfour was a heavy Auburn lean. Probably would not have lost OG Jaeden Roberts or safety Phillip O’Brien. They would not have affected rankings but transfer Eric Wilson and the Oklahoma TE were commits that we lost.

How would it have ranked?

12 hours ago, ellitor said:

That was always going to happen with a coaching change, especially given how stale he made the product for the recruits.

ETA: that being said if we finish & land who we expect to land to finish the class we will finish eighth in the conference.

Not trying to be argumentative or negative in anyway; in my opinion, just being realistic. Look at the coaching changes in Tennessee, Texas etc. look at other coaching changes around the country and see how they ended up in recruiting. I mean the dumpster fire that is Tennessee who is about to be put on probation, hired their HC well after we did... and they finish 16th in the country in recruiting and we are at 30? Behind the state of Mississippi and Arkansas?

I’m sorry but with the Auburn name and AU brand you can bring in any prominent high school coach, name him the head coach of Auburn, and that high school coach could bring in a group of three stars with a four star or two sprinkled in. I’m just simply not going to sugarcoat it, this recruiting cycle was simply atrocious, no matter who we blame it on. 

1 minute ago, AU-24 said:

Not trying to be argumentative or negative in anyway; in my opinion, just being realistic. Look at the coaching changes in Tennessee, Texas etc. look at other coaching changes around the country and see how they ended up in recruiting. I mean the dumpster fire that is Tennessee who is about to be put on probation, hired their HC well after we did... and they finish 16th in the country in recruiting and we are at 30? Behind the state of Mississippi and Arkansas?

I’m sorry but with the Auburn name and AU brand you can bring in any prominent high school coach, name him the head coach of Auburn, and that high school coach could bring in a group of three stars with a four star or two sprinkled in. I’m just simply not going to sugarcoat it, this recruiting cycle was simply atrocious, no matter who we blame it on. 

How many of those recruiting classes were inked before their coaching change?

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

How many of those recruiting classes were inked before their coaching change?

Thank you. I feel like folks are being asked to put two and two together and instead they're bitching about algebra. 

12 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

I’m just simply not going to sugarcoat it, this recruiting cycle was simply atrocious, no matter who we blame it on. 

Do you blame the staff that was recruiting these kids for years or the staff that recruited them for 6 weeks?

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Thank you. I feel like folks are being asked to put two and two together and instead they're bitching about algebra. 

It's like they're trying to blame the new staff for the previous staff's failings.  That's illogical.  I think this staff did a great job with the time they had.

38 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

I mean the dumpster fire that is Tennessee who is about to be put on probation, hired their HC well after we did... and they finish 16th in the country in recruiting and we are at 30?

@AU-24 That one needs perspective. The Vols had the #1 class in the nation at one time this cycle. #16 is a dramatic fall for them. The only reason they are at 16 now is because there coach was on nowhere near the hotseat ours was then & thus they had 21 sign in December while we had 11 due to our HC being fired a few days before NSD. If we had 2 games postponed like many teams did meaning our last game of the regular season happen after NSD I guarantee you our class would be in the 15 rank overall range right now as Gus would not have been fired til after NSD. Also UTk's class is not done dropping. Once they let Cody Brown & Dylan Brooks go like they are going to have to their class will drop to 20th, right where ours is expected to finish.

38 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

I’m just simply not going to sugarcoat it, this recruiting cycle was simply atrocious, no matter who we blame it on. 

Can we let the kids play in college before making such knee jerk reactions? Yes the class was not rated nowhere near as good on paper as it could have been but when a HC is fired 3 days before NSD the class is going to blow up to a good degree. That's just the nature of the circumstances. Now let's see if the new staff found a few diamonds in the rough & develop them unlike previous staffs.

22 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It's like they're trying to blame the new staff for the previous staff's failings.  That's illogical.

JABA also applies to some of our fans in some ways.

Looks like this class is wrapping up.  Nice recovery, but reality is Gus has us on a level closer to Ole Miss vs where we want to be.  No HS OT in three years is a fireable offense with cause.  Harsin will have to prove he is a great caretaker of these kids college career before we can actually recruit elite talent again.  Gus was stealing from AU, and the little he won was because of our resources and nothing he brought to the table.  

2 minutes ago, AUCE05 said:

Looks like this class is wrapping up.

Not yet. 6 spots left.

3 minutes ago, AUCE05 said:

No HS OT in three years

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Do you blame the staff that was recruiting these kids for years or the staff that recruited them for 6 weeks?

Certainly plenty of blame to go around. Where are BoBo’s recruits from South Carolina? Where are Harson and his staff’s kids he was recruiting from the West Coast? The new staff signed six players in 6 weeks most of them three stars and lost a four-star linebacker to Kentucky. Again, I am just being honest.

Obviously it was time for Gus to go. In fairness, most of his recruiting classes were top 10 or 12. We are a far cry from that... that is all I’m saying.

Hopefully I am wrong, but thinking a bigger splash hire would’ve brought more recruits. I guess I’m just venting and will try to patiently wait and see what the future holds.

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

Image result for math is hard gif

Archived