Exactly what was the previous staff doing?

chizhead

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

The Vols had the #1 class in the nation at one time this cycle. #16 is a dramatic fall for them.

That's what happens when the happy meals dry up.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Certainly plenty of blame to go around. Where are BoBo’s recruits from South Carolina? Where are Harson and his staff’s kids he was recruiting from the West Coast? The new staff signed six players in 6 weeks most of them three stars and lost a four-star linebacker to Kentucky. Again, I am just being honest.

Obviously it was time for Gus to go. In fairness, most of his recruiting classes were top 10 or 12. We are a far cry from that... that is all I’m saying.

Hopefully I am wrong, but thinking a bigger splash hire would’ve brought more recruits. I guess I’m just venting and will try to patiently wait and see what the future holds.

You are star gazing with Gus's rankings.  Highly ranked classes don't mean much if you aren't getting you position needs filled.  By hey, having seven 5* TEs and no OTs on the roster is a thing, too*.

* thats hyperbole in case anyone wasn't sure.

12 minutes ago, The Freak said:

Highly ranked classes don't mean much if you aren't getting you position needs filled. 

Or not developing the talented ones you do get.

31 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Certainly plenty of blame to go around. Where are BoBo’s recruits from South Carolina? Where are Harson and his staff’s kids he was recruiting from the West Coast? The new staff signed six players in 6 weeks most of them three stars and lost a four-star linebacker to Kentucky. Again, I am just being honest.

Obviously it was time for Gus to go. In fairness, most of his recruiting classes were top 10 or 12. We are a far cry from that... that is all I’m saying.

Hopefully I am wrong, but thinking a bigger splash hire would’ve brought more recruits. I guess I’m just venting and will try to patiently wait and see what the future holds.

So i've given this some thought over the last couple of days. I was pretty disappointed that we could not pull in any last minute surprises to make the class look better. I think this was the trade off between hiring a "splashy" guy like Cristobal and a guy like Harsin. I bet if we get Cristobol he comes and gets some immediate high profile recruits with him. 

Would i have rather hired Cristobol to get those few higher rated recruits? I don't think so but ask again in 3 years. I really like the foundation Harsin is building. I like his coaching hires and i like the message his coaching hires sends. He didn't just hire a bunch of guys that think like he does....he hired guys he played against and respects. I like what Harsin has done with the S&C staff. Hiring multiple guys to focus on the different positions and the specific things they need to do to be successful. I like that Harsin is interacting more with students and building good will the community. 

So while i would have loved to have signed a couple shockers to boost the class. If i step back and look at the big picture i'm ok trading 1 signing class to get this football program built back up in a way that we can have sustained success. 

Its just really hard with early signing day to bring in a good class unless you wait until after signing day to fire a guy like Tennessee did. So how many unsigned 4-5* were available to be stolen from where our coaches came from?? I bet the answer is not many. So while i don't blame or think poorly of the staff based on this signing class......I think Harsin and the staff have something to prove for next year.

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

So i've given this some thought over the last couple of days. I was pretty disappointed that we could not pull in any last minute surprises to make the class look better. I think this was the trade off between hiring a "splashy" guy like Cristobal and a guy like Harsin. I bet if we get Cristobol he comes and gets some immediate high profile recruits with him. 

Would i have rather hired Cristobol to get those few higher rated recruits? I don't think so but ask again in 3 years. I really like the foundation Harsin is building. I like his coaching hires and i like the message his coaching hires sends. He didn't just hire a bunch of guys that think like he does....he hired guys he played against and respects. I like what Harsin has done with the S&C staff. Hiring multiple guys to focus on the different positions and the specific things they need to do to be successful. I like that Harsin is interacting more with students and building good will the community. 

So while i would have loved to have signed a couple shockers to boost the class. If i step back and look at the big picture i'm ok trading 1 signing class to get this football program built back up in a way that we can have sustained success. 

Its just really hard with early signing day to bring in a good class unless you wait until after signing day to fire a guy like Tennessee did. So how many unsigned 4-5* were available to be stolen from where our coaches came from?? I bet the answer is not many. So while i don't blame or think poorly of the staff based on this signing class......I think Harsin and the staff have something to prove for next year.

I agree with everything you said but last line I would say "I think Harsin and staff have something to prove over next 2-3 years."

A lot of the other schools coaches have been building relationships with many players since when they were in 9th or 10th grade.  They should do much better next year but year 2 is the real litmus test in their recruiting skills.

Let’s see here.... our new coach has no personal ties to the SEC, was hired after the early national signing day during a global pandemic, inherited a small size mediocre class created by a rolling dumpster fire of a previous coaching regime,  and came in during a recruiting “dead period”.....and people are disappointed that we will finish about #20 nationally in recruiting? Hmmmmm. I would call that a success and have expectations for better next year and much better thereafter. I also have high expectations that he will win more than 32% of his games against major rivals and not routinely have embarrassing performances against those same teams and in bowl games. I hope that his lack of understanding of the SEC and how important football is at Auburn doesn’t hold him back, lol. SMH at some of the absurd drivel being posted on here 

2 hours ago, gravejd said:

I so hope u are correct!!

4 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Where are BoBo’s recruits from South Carolina? Where are Harson and his staff’s kids he was recruiting from the West Coast?

Most likely at the school they were recruited to. Why would you think that they'd follow them to a school they know very little about and zero ties to?

How many 4/5* were even out there? If yall expected Harsin or ANYONE to bring in some class of kids to make us top 15 youre crazy. Can someone tell me which teams moved the most on Late Signing Day? 2021 was not going to be a great recruiting year? If you want to complain- blame Gus! Did he sign a class loaded with top talent this year? Nope.  did he have us a top class in commitments- nope. All of the top guys saw through the crap that was on the fueld and went elsewhere- to ND, UGA, FLA, and Bama. Harsin, for what he was given did a great job in 4weeks. What 2021 has always been about is his and his staffs ability to coach. Thats the question that will determine his success for the next 3 years- Can he coach? If we’re successful on the field- and that success is gonna be a lot like arkansas this year re: wow pittman whipped those guys into shape they were tough- if that happens harsin will get the 4-5 stars we need to win championships 

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Most likely at the school they were recruited to. Why would you think that they'd follow them to a school they know very little about and zero ties to?

Oh I see, thanks the number 11 ranking in the SEC makes perfect sense now. To think... I was thinking that Will Muschamp brought in 3 to 5 high-ranking recruits when he was named defensive coordinator. What do I know?

2 hours ago, Auhud08 said:

How many 4/5* were even out there? If yall expected Harsin or ANYONE to bring in some class of kids to make us top 15 youre crazy. Can someone tell me which teams moved the most on Late Signing Day? 2021 was not going to be a great recruiting year? If you want to complain- blame Gus! Did he sign a class loaded with top talent this year? Nope.  did he have us a top class in commitments- nope. All of the top guys saw through the crap that was on the fueld and went elsewhere- to ND, UGA, FLA, and Bama. Harsin, for what he was given did a great job in 4weeks. What 2021 has always been about is his and his staffs ability to coach. Thats the question that will determine his success for the next 3 years- Can he coach? If we’re successful on the field- and that success is gonna be a lot like arkansas this year re: wow pittman whipped those guys into shape they were tough- if that happens harsin will get the 4-5 stars we need to win championships 

Yes, he brought in 6 three stars in six weeks, and lost a four-star to Kentucky. Great job! I should’ve noticed this from the get-go.

1 minute ago, AU-24 said:

Yes, he brought in 6 three stars in six weeks, and lost a four-star to Kentucky. Great job! I should’ve noticed this from the get-go.

You're one messed up tittybaby

On 1/15/2021 at 2:35 PM, chizhead said:

I am reading things that just leave me mystified concerning the recruitment of players. 4* OT from Columbus Ga. said the previous staff hardly talked with him. although they did offer last year. This staff is offering players from everywhere and they are not chumps,either. This is mind boggling to me. Just offered two 4* OT from THIS STATE!!!! This is amazingly incompetent and anyone who doesn't yet realize that Gus should have been fired years ago, I don't what else we can do for you....damn,on 24/7 one topic thread is titled," This staff recruited OT's harder in 8 days than Gus did in 8 years!"...Sure appears so

It really isn't that simple.  For years, the former staff pulled in top 10 classes.  Yes, there were problems recruiting the offensive line, but part of that was a growing perception problem. We have to hope that this staff can actually land enough athletes to compete.  I believe they can, but until we see it, they haven't done it. 

38 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Tell me what you thought a good coach wouldve done? Honestly, what were your expectations?

@AU-24 30 Four star or better (247 rankings) were left unsigned after Early Signing Day. 30, you expected a coach to pull some great number of those kids in 43 days? Get outta here man. You cant be serious. Youre a troll

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Somebody should tell the recruits to commit to a school and not a coach......Wait a minute- damn, that was profound! Has anyone ever said that before?

1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

Surely you are not so stupid as to believe some of the s*** you post

48 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

@AU-24 30 Four star or better (247 rankings) were left unsigned after Early Signing Day. 30, you expected a coach to pull some great number of those kids in 43 days? Get outta here man. You cant be serious. Youre a troll

Nailed it...on both points

12 hours ago, bigbird said:

It's like they're trying to blame the new staff for the previous staff's failings.  That's illogical.  I think this staff did a great job with the time they had.

It's called ignorance. Mostly by people that don't have a f***ing clue of what they're talking about.

8 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Where are BoBo’s recruits from South Carolina? Where are Harson and his staff’s kids he was recruiting from the West Coast?

@AU-24 All the offensive guys who signed for South Carolina signed early. Couldn't do anything about them or even talk to them due to NCAA rules. The only ones they signed late were defensive guys so Bobo likely had no involvement with them anyway.

On Boise 15 of their 16 signees signed early so again we can't touch them. The 1 who signed late was an athlete who was not offered til after Harsin came to AU.

The more things change,  the more they stay the same with some people...good grief.

11 hours ago, ellitor said:

@AU-24 All the offensive guys who signed for South Carolina signed early. Couldn't do anything about them or even talk to them due to NCAA rules. The only ones they signed late were defensive guys so Bobo likely had no involvement with them anyway.

On Boise 15 of their 16 signees signed early so again we can't touch them. The 1 who signed late was an athlete who was not offered til after Harsin came to AU.

Video of 24

but-wait-nope.gif

2 hours ago, AU-24 said:

lost a four-star to Kentucky.

@AU-24 recruiting is a relationships game. If 2 schools from the same conference are going after the same player & 1 school had a coaching overhaul late, including at the player's position. The school with the established relationship will win nearly every time. Even if that school is not as prestigous as the school who overhauled their coaches. That's a small part of recruiting 101.

48 minutes ago, fredst said:

Somebody should tell the recruits to commit to a school and not a coach......Wait a minute- damn, that was profound! Has anyone ever said that before?

The NCAA's lame ass.

Archived