Auburn Flashback: 1989 Auburn vs. Alabama

StatTiger

I saw three Ironbowls in BHM.  (era: 84-88)

Is it my imagination or did it ever seem 50/50 there?   I never sensed that we had 50% of the tickets.   My understanding is that each school AD got their fair share the remaining went on sale in BHM to the public, which made it easy for BHM residents (mostly bama fans) to buy what they wanted or could.  

Is my memory tainted or am I pretty close on this?  

36 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Is it my imagination or did it ever seem 50/50 there?   I never sensed that we had 50% of the tickets.   My understanding is that each school AD got their fair share the remaining went on sale in BHM to the public, which made it easy for BHM residents (mostly bama fans) to buy what they wanted or could.  

It was always a home game for the Turds...we never had close to 50/50.  I hated that ******* place.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Beaker said:

I am with you on this...don't know for sure, but I think I remember hearing something about 1/3 for each school and the remaining 1/3 was city of B'ham.

Playing Alabama in Birmingham was about as neutral as Notre Dame playing a game at the Vatican.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, SLAG-91 said:

I am with you on this...don't know for sure, but I think I remember hearing something about 1/3 for each school and the remaining 1/3 was city of B'ham.

Playing Alabama in Birmingham was about as neutral as Notre Dame playing a game at the Vatican.

Went to several Iron Bowl games at Legion Field. It was never 50/50. 

Also, I love your avatar picture. I had that exact lunch box in elementary school back in the 70’s. 

3 hours ago, japantiger said:

It was always a home game for the Turds...we never had close to 50/50.  I hated that ******* place.

This. Always. Legion Field was Bear's home away from home. 

1 hour ago, SLAG-91 said:

For sure...I think you are right about the 1/3, 1/3 and 1/3 ticket distribution scheme.  That is what I recall - the remaining tickets were sold in BHM where they also played 1-2 of their home games.   I was just flabbergasted the first IB I went to because I had heard on TV, all that garbage about the 50/50 split.   

And speaking of Notre Dame, when will they have consistently difficult schedules?   They have a top 20, then an easy one, then a medium one.   They usually only play 4 ranked opponents and one is USC early in the season...I am tired of them having a smooth path the playoff.  With the new playoff system, they will get in every yr.

9 hours ago, JuscAUse! said:

This. Always. Legion Field was Bear's home away from home. 

Some years they played more games in B'ham then they did in Tuscaloosa it seem like

15 hours ago, WVR said:

Went to several Iron Bowl games at Legion Field. It was never 50/50. 

Also, I love your avatar picture. I had that exact lunch box in elementary school back in the 70’s. 

Showing our age a bit, aren't we...had to love those old metal lunch boxes that were damn near rusted through by the end of the year. Fun fact: The 1976 version of that box was the only year Tampa Bay was in the AFC. 

Did anyone else get the "Hey Bama, See You In Auburn!" bumper sticker once the official announcement was made? Seems like that was 1987. We agreed to play another "home" game at Legion Field in 1991 after the actual home game in 1989, but no more home games there after 1991.