USMNT SOCCER

AUBwins

More entertaining game in a schizophrenic sort of way … was not exactly elite skill.  Blah.  
Looking forward to the next A team gathering, but worried about ggg torpedoing our best generation 

On 7/14/2023 at 7:40 AM, arein0 said:

Why would you think that? 

I think he’s a bad tactical coach and misuses the player pool.  I’ll give him credit for creating an “all for one” team in the 2021 nations/gold cup trophies but that’s about it

7 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

I think he’s a bad tactical coach and misuses the player pool.  I’ll give him credit for creating an “all for one” team in the 2021 nations/gold cup trophies but that’s about it

Do you think we've had better coaches in the past and if so who?

29 minutes ago, arein0 said:

Do you think we've had better coaches in the past and if so who?

I think klinnsmann was also poor tactically and poor “building” a team atmosphere but I believe he did the most to  change the federation by demanding our rising player pool play overseas To raise their games and changing the soccer culture in the US all the way to state level.  I think we are benefiting now.  I’m not sure we’ve ever had a coach tactically speaking that is appropriate for the player pool now.

I was in favor of a conmebol coach.  I think concacaf is unique and European coaches won’t understand it.  A conmebol coach may be better tactically  but simultaneously understand the challenges of Central American soccer 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mustache eagle said:

I think klinnsmann was also poor tactically and poor “building” a team atmosphere but I believe he did the most to  change the federation by demanding our rising player pool play overseas To raise their games and changing the soccer culture in the US all the way to state level.  I think we are benefiting now.  I’m not sure we’ve ever had a coach tactically speaking that is appropriate for the player pool now.

I was in favor of a conmebol coach.  I think concacaf is unique and European coaches won’t understand it.  A conmebol coach may be better tactically  but simultaneously understand the challenges of Central American soccer 

I agree with Klinsmann doing the most for us, but I'm very mixed on the tactical part.

I think the top nations have an advantage over us in that they know the style of play that works for them and their youth is taught that style. And the club teams know what kind of player they are getting from say Germany or Spain when they are looking for a CM, which are drastically different.

We are in this weird spot where we are starting to get good players but don't really have an identity. So then do you play best talent and hope they can play roles they aren't used to playing, or sacrifice some skill to get the best fitting team. Either way you get people complaining either how could you leave xyz on the bench or this team is stacked why aren't you winning. 

10 minutes ago, arein0 said:

I agree with Klinsmann doing the most for us, but I'm very mixed on the tactical part.

I think the top nations have an advantage over us in that they know the style of play that works for them and their youth is taught that style. And the club teams know what kind of player they are getting from say Germany or Spain when they are looking for a CM, which are drastically different.

We are in this weird spot where we are starting to get good players but don't really have an identity. So then do you play best talent and hope they can play roles they aren't used to playing, or sacrifice some skill to get the best fitting team. Either way you get people complaining either how could you leave xyz on the bench or this team is stacked why aren't you winning. 

I agree with you

i think the US used to have an identity … determination, athleticism and good ole fashion American grit.  … and patriotism.   I think our less talented guys played together as a team at an elevated level beyond the individuals.  

I think as our soccer players have gotten better I think we’ve lost a smidge of that.  I predict it will all come together but will take longer than it needs to.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It is. What a home run. The best women’s club coach in the world known for her tactical acumen, paired with our raw talent? Oh lawd yes. 

• Love 2

• 2 weeks later...

Trinidad and Tobago tomorrow in the second leg of our Nation’s League matchup. All we gotta do is hold serve and we’re through. Bonus, we’ll qualify for Copa America as well. 

• 4 months later...

Thumped Mexico.

In a final.

Again.

baby steps, folks. Gregg is working. 

DOS Y CERO!!!