Snake battle

My dogs decided to tussle with this guy back over the weekend...bit them both.  Was right beside the kitchen door steps.  My daughter walked right by it...the dogs were following her in.  Three days later was doing landscaping about 10 yards from that spot around the corner of the house...4 more.   Of course, the snakes didn't make it...fortunately, Rowdy and Dixie are doing well.  

image.thumb.png.a3ff87838eeeb9b306241931d16ef497.png

• Like 4

Wow! Was bitten by a cottonmouth in my youth. Studied and learned what I could about snakes and they have their place….do not want a rattlesnake in the yard though. They can put a serious hurt on you. Especially a child.

Been a while since I have ran across a rattler. Did accidentally run over a large rat snake in my golf cart a few weeks ago. No apparent harm to the snake.

• Haha 1

I get my dogs a rattlesnake vaccination every March. I think it helps. One outside dog has been bitten three times, the other one twice. They live, but it spoils their day. One small house dog was bitten by a small rattler. He pulled through but he had a tough time for two days.

Yes, I live on a farm in a remote area so we encounter more venomous snakes than most people and dogs do. All the family is trained to identify the venomous snakes. We kill them and let the others go on their way.

• Like 3

It's a bad year in our part of TX...Diamondbacks have been everywhere and lots of dogs getting hit.  I'll ask about the vaccine; didn't know their was one. Thanks

• Like 1