Sporting News

aufan175

I just bought a copy of the Sporting News College Football Preview and after reading for just 5 min I just wanna :puke: . First they talk about 5 of the toughest schedules. 1. Notre Dame 2. Tennessee 3. Florida 4. Texas 5. USC. USC? :blink: They play in the PAC-10 and California and Arizona State are both starting new QB's. Notre Dame isn't the same and Arkansas is a average SEC team. Then they list Clutch Players WR on third down and don't include Courtney Taylor, but instead list 3 PAC-10 players. Also they have the best for a game-winning kick and have Alexis Serna from Oregon State. Don't know who that is? That's the guy that blew all the kicks in the LSU game. As I continue to read this magazine I will post anymore things I find :blink: .

Over the last two years I have learned to just stay away from those things and their previews. Saves me about $30-$40 also as they usually are like 6-7 bucks a pop for bs.

Also they have the best for a game-winning kick and have Alexis Serna from Oregon State.

Sounds like sarcasm to me.

166154[/snapback]

Nope. They are really being serious and that's the sad thing about it. They list him Andrew Wellock Eastern Michigan, and Brandon Pace Virginia Tech as clutch players for a game-winning kick.

Didn't Lee Corso pick West Virginia to win the National Championship at the beginning of last season? :lol:

Also they have the best for a game-winning kick and have Alexis Serna from Oregon State.

166154[/snapback]

After the LSU game he made 24/24 extra points and 15/16 FGs.

You have to give him props to anyone coming back from something like that.

166154[/snapback]

166211[/snapback]

That 1 field goal he missed after that was it a big one? I will give him props for coming back from that LSU game.

I picked up the Sporting News too and actually like it more than most of the others. Lindy's is full of crap as usual but the problem with their mag this year is the print is so small, especially on the rosters, that you need a magnifying glass to read it. But then again, I am getting to the point that I will need some bifocals soon. :P

I rarely get into the predictions that much because ALL of them are full of it there. I like getting a quick run down on each team, the depth chart(Heights and weights are a must :D ) and the schedule. Sporting News has it laid out pretty well with all the D-1 teams.

And Slink, I certainly would not predict BSU to beat you guys but I will say that if DJ is not on his game, they have a legit shot at an upset. They return a lot of guys, including their QB and no matter who you are, you WILL have to put some serious points on the board to beat them. I commend UGA for scheduling them but that is a huge trap game if Shockley is not on.

When you talk about clutch kickers I think of that North Carolina freshman who hit that game winning field goal against miami.

166154[/snapback]

166211[/snapback]

That 1 field goal he missed after that was it a big one? I will give him props for coming back from that LSU game.

166212[/snapback]

It was a blocked 50 yarder against USC, which was a really foggy game if I remember correctly.

He was 5/5 against Washington, they won by 15 points.

166154[/snapback]

166211[/snapback]

166212[/snapback]

It was a blocked 50 yarder against USC, which was a really foggy game if I remember correctly.

He was 5/5 against Washington, they won by 15 points.

166244[/snapback]

I tried watching that game on t.v. and the fog was ridiculous.

I picked up the Sporting News too and actually like it more than most of the others.  Lindy's is full of crap as usual but the problem with their mag this year is the print is so small, especially on the rosters, that you need a magnifying glass to read it.  But then again, I am getting to the point that I will need some bifocals soon. :P

I rarely get into the predictions that much because ALL of them are full of it there.  I like getting a quick run down on each team, the depth chart(Heights and weights are a must :D ) and the schedule.  Sporting News has it laid out pretty well with all the D-1 teams.

And Slink, I certainly would not predict BSU to beat you guys but I will say that if DJ is not on his game, they have a legit shot at an upset.  They return a lot of guys, including their QB and no matter who you are, you WILL have to put some serious points on the board to beat them.  I commend UGA for scheduling them but that is a huge trap game if Shockley is not on.

166213[/snapback]

Esquire, I do not agree on this one. (I am certain that you are shocked!) :D

I do not think that Boise has seen the likes of an SEC Defense! uga SHOULD win easily. (Of course, you can take my vast knowledge on football and fill up a thimble.) Just my very humble opinion.

Refresh my memory [although I must be a masochist for wanting to remember]--which mag had us pre-season #1 in 2003?

166247[/snapback]

None other than the Sporting News.

They also had us preseason #1 in 1990...we finished 8-3-1.

Not so fast my friend....

Oh my God, I just quoted the biggest lame-brain in all of college football. That ought to give my take a ton of credibility :D

I still say you're in for a "Shockley" if you think UGA will roll over Boise with ease. I agree they don't face SEC caliber defenses on a regular basis but my point is just the opposite. I'm saying that if DJ is off (and most UGA fans are skeptical about his ability to handle it anyway) UGA may have trouble putting enough points up to win a shoot out. Boise will score some points.

I still say you're in for a "Shockley" if you think UGA will roll over Boise with ease.  I agree they don't face SEC caliber defenses on a regular basis but my point is just the opposite.  I'm saying that if DJ is off (and most UGA fans are skeptical about his ability to handle it anyway) UGA may have trouble putting enough points up to win a shoot out.  Boise will score some points.

Boise State has no defense whatsoever and their previous several years show that. They play on the road....they play terrible. They play on the road....their defense allows 40+ points most of the time....even 50 against 3-win San Jose State.

Their Louisville game was a joke. They didn't even manage 300 total yards of offense and had 300+ yards given up ON THE GROUND AGAINST THEM.

They lose several players on defense and have a QB that ALMOST LOST HIS JOB AT THE END OF LAST YEAR because of inconsistency.

Everyone wants to look for the miracle, non-BCS win so badly that they don't even care about the facts. The last time BSU played an SEC team they got beaten 41-14 at Arkansas.

Our OL will dominate them, our DL is much better even with injuries then anything they have faced, and our secondary is much better then Louisville's.

Add in RB's who can run all over them....

I am not in the least worried.

Im gonna have to agree with Slink and Tim here.....

Boise State doesnt have a chance, anyone who thinks so hasnt done the research. Just compare the players, and from there....its easy to come to a conclusion.

On another note, Shockley is still a good qb in my opinion.

I really think Georgia will suprise some people this year.

I still say you're in for a "Shockley" if you think UGA will roll over Boise with ease.  I agree they don't face SEC caliber defenses on a regular basis but my point is just the opposite.  I'm saying that if DJ is off (and most UGA fans are skeptical about his ability to handle it anyway) UGA may have trouble putting enough points up to win a shoot out.  Boise will score some points.

Boise State has no defense whatsoever and their previous several years show that. They play on the road....they play terrible. They play on the road....their defense allows 40+ points most of the time....even 50 against 3-win San Jose State.

Their Louisville game was a joke. They didn't even manage 300 total yards of offense and had 300+ yards given up ON THE GROUND AGAINST THEM.

They lose several players on defense and have a QB that ALMOST LOST HIS JOB AT THE END OF LAST YEAR because of inconsistency.

Everyone wants to look for the miracle, non-BCS win so badly that they don't even care about the facts. The last time BSU played an SEC team they got beaten 41-14 at Arkansas.

Our OL will dominate them, our DL is much better even with injuries then anything they have faced, and our secondary is much better then Louisville's.

Add in RB's who can run all over them....

I am not in the least worried.

166306[/snapback]

Their QB was like player of the year in their conference. I think Georgia will win and I hope they win big because I don't want to hear how the SEC is not that good and how the WAC deserves more respect.

Their QB was like player of the year in their conference.

Not quite, Louisiana Tech’s Ryan Moats was named the Offensive Player of the Year.

Their QB was like player of the year in their conference.

Not quite, Louisiana Tech’s Ryan Moats was named the Offensive Player of the Year.

166319[/snapback]

He is preseason all-conference.

UGA's lines should flat out bully BSU's lines on both sides of the ball. Not even close as DJ will rarely have to put the ball in the air in this one.

Playing devil's advocate: BSU is no pushover and UGA could very well lose this game if they adopt the attitude the game will be a cakewalk. BSU is one of those dangerous teams that could pull off the win with a few breaks here & there. Admittedly, BSU doesn't play defense very well. But what they do well is score points in bunches. Their 49 ppg avg was second in the nation last year behind Louisville's 50 ppg. BSU scored 38 points against Hawaii last season -- in one quarter. Yeah it was just Hawaii, another fun & gun team with no defense. But show me another team doing that. Their offensive coordinator, Chris Petersen, was one of the ones Tuberville was looking at when he was interviewing for a new OC. BSU returns 3 of 5 OL, all but one of their WR and they have 5 returning RBs to share the load. All this in addition to a QB who ran for 13 TDs and passed for 16 more as a sophmore.

On paper, UGA should win this one easy. On the field may be a different story. I am officially intrigued by this matchup and will be tuning in to see how it plays out. This will be a great game to start the season.

Archived