Texas Gov. Abbott is reaching out of state to find Covid help

AuCivilEng1

25 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I support no mandate.  I still wear a mask in some cases/places. I'm vaccinated. Personal accountability, responsibility, and freedom to choose. All are removed with a mandate.

Personal accountability and freedom to choose mean nothing when you’re endangering others around you. At some point, responsibility to your fellow citizens has to overtake your personal freedoms. That’s what separates us from primitive animals. That’s why we have laws against driving like an idiot, and smoking indoors and shooting your gun on a busy street.

I commend your commitment to wearing a mask. It sounds like you’re doing it solely for yourself, but hey, you’re contributing to the cause either way. Unfortunately we have a significant portion of the population that won’t wear a mask, because Barack Obama and Joe Biden recommend it. They’d rather die than fall in line. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

They’d rather die than fall in line. 

So be it. That's their choice

• Facepalm 1

19 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It is! I agree that they should have that choice. But they’re contributing to others deaths by not taking proper precautions to help protect others. Trust me, Bird. If it was just them being affected, I’d openly advocate for nature to take its place. I have a toddler who can’t help protect himself with a vaccine and a pregnant wife carrying a baby that also can’t protect his/herself. And other people have loved ones in that same boat. So until everyone can be given an opportunity to protect themselves and their loved ones, people need to fall in line, even if they’re being made to, imo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

43 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

It is! I agree that they should have that choice. But they’re contributing to others deaths by not taking proper precautions to help protect others. Trust me, Bird. If it was just them being affected, I’d openly advocate for nature to take its place. I have a toddler who can’t help protect himself with a vaccine and a pregnant wife carrying a baby that also can’t protect his/herself. And other people have loved ones in that same boat. So until everyone can be given an opportunity to protect themselves and their loved ones, people need to fall in line, even if they’re being made to, imo.

The entire reason a government exists in the first place.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Bird, I just can't understand your thinking on this. Surely you see that not wearing masks increases spread? Which in turn means more will die?

Our freedoms are not absolute. You cannot do something that you know may harm another, simply because that is what you want to do. Why is this situation different? 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

So what is the punishment? I showed you 6th Street for Halloween 2020. Social distance mandate in effect, mask mandate in effect, and no vaccine yet.

Do you ticket these people, do you arrest them? What do you do with those that violate the mandate.

You are the gov of Texas, what do you do to those individuals?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TexasAtxAub said:

How am I doing on my Ichy facepalms Bird?

It helps me know I'm on the right path

• Haha 1

This one is fun also. This is a Chem class in Utah.  My favorite is her complaining about the variants, then complaining about getting a variant, but apparently the vaccine/mask combo has not clicked with her yet as she does not exercise her right to wear one.

So much fail in that 4 minutes. If my students know my politics, I've done something wrong...and thinking that this could have been eradicated at any point in time after it got loose from Wuhan is peak Pollyanna delusion. That cat was out of the bag months before March 2020. We just weren't dashboarding it before then.

1 hour ago, TexasAtxAub said:

So what is the punishment? I showed you 6th Street for Halloween 2020. Social distance mandate in effect, mask mandate in effect, and no vaccine yet.

Do you ticket these people, do you arrest them? What do you do with those that violate the mandate.

You are the gov of Texas, what do you do to those individuals?

Ticket them. But to start, I’d order mask mandates in public places and schools. That would be a good start. Not actively and openly calling for the opposition of what should be  the most basic, easy, and least intrusive tactic to help matters (masks). I’d stand behind private businesses that enforce mask mandates and vaccine proof. 

Would it stop covid completely? Probably not. But it would at the very least present a valid corse of action. And at the very least ensure that my state is doing everything in its power to prevent a state of complete chaos and emergency.

To answer your question. I’d ticket them. Unless they were being openly defiant and refusing to follow the rules. Then I’d arrest them for public endangerment.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Ticket them. But to start, I’d order mask mandates in public places and schools. That would be a good start. Not actively and openly calling for the opposition of what should be  the most basic, easy, and least intrusive tactic to help matters (masks). I’d stand behind private businesses that enforce mask mandates and vaccine proof. 

Would it stop covid completely? Probably not. But it would at the very least present a valid corse of action. And at the very least ensure that my state is doing everything in its power to prevent a state of complete chaos and emergency.

To answer your question. I’d ticket them. Unless they were being openly defiant and refusing to follow the rules. Then I’d arrest them for public endangerment.

Our local YMCA-type facility had people ignoring the mask mandate. Understandable, given that they'd eliminated half the exercise stations for distancing and folks were exerting themselves. Well, some lady complained. A few selectively issued citations layer and, boom, everyone was wearing masks at the gym..

Speed limits haven't eradicated high speed driving. So ******* what. It's about mitigation.

It's so not complicated unless you just want it to be.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Private business in Texas can do mandates all they want.

Austin did a 500 fine. Which initially worked, but then people figured out they were not fining people (1 ticket in 1 month). You can see noone was worried (and clearly see no enforcement by officers in the 6th street videos). Even a year ago Adler admits he doesn't have the police resources to enforce one, the biggest benefit of the mandate was education, and almost echoes Abbott with a community expectancy statement.

Austin Mayor Steve Adler understands. He knows enforcement is tough, especially when there are not enough police officers. For him, the goal is education.

“We have the fines and we can use them and they’re there for a reason, but it’s better not to. It’s better to have a community to expect that of themselves and one another,” Adler said.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/austin-police-has-given-out-just-1-fine-for-not-wearing-a-face-mask/

Austin now has even fewer officers, your worst rates of vaccination and adherence are in the ethnic populations unfortunately. Look how angry some of you are, you don't think vaccinated people wearing  masks won't call the police? and many of them would be legitimate calls. But the cries of racism will ring out. Plus Garza and Garcia are tossing out about 77% of misdemeanor cases for the year so far.

The SO didn't enforce it. She walked by a group of guys one night and said "evening gentlemen let's be safe and wear our mask". Their response was racial gender pig. She laughed it off cause she didn't wanna risk getting spit on (cause she had no desire to take them in or fine them) and have to deal with the COA work comp mandates. Getting a supervisor, getting the paperwork, going to the hospital, hoping not to get a liberal ER physician with an attitude that would delay putting orders in or argue if a draw was necessary (mandated by COA to return to duty) and wasting her entire shift.

And this is in a liberal/Democratic city.

The way it worked enforcement wise last time, I don't think mandate would have any bite truthfully.

• Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, TexasAtxAub said:

Private business in Texas can do mandates all they want.

Austin did a 500 fine. Which initially worked, but then people figured out they were not fining people (1 ticket in 1 month). You can see noone was worried (and clearly see no enforcement by officers in the 6th street videos). Even a year ago Adler admits he doesn't have the police resources to enforce one, the biggest benefit of the mandate was education, and almost echoes Abbott with a community expectancy statement.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/austin-police-has-given-out-just-1-fine-for-not-wearing-a-face-mask/

Austin now has even fewer officers, your worst rates of vaccination and adherence are in the ethnic populations unfortunately. Look how angry some of you are, you don't think vaccinated people wearing  masks won't call the police? and many of them would be legitimate calls. But the cries of racism will ring out. Plus Garza and Garcia are tossing out about 77% of misdemeanor cases for the year so far.

The SO didn't enforce it. She walked by a group of guys one night and said "evening gentlemen let's be safe and wear our mask". Their response was racial gender pig. She laughed it off cause she didn't wanna risk getting spit on (cause she had no desire to take them in or fine them) and have to deal with the COA work comp mandates. Getting a supervisor, getting the paperwork, going to the hospital, hoping not to get a liberal ER physician with an attitude that would delay putting orders in or argue if a draw was necessary (mandated by COA to return to duty) and wasting her entire shift.

And this is in a liberal/Democratic city.

The way it worked enforcement wise last time, I don't think mandate would have any bite truthfully.

Even last year, pre-vaccine, a handful of county sheriffs (might be more than a handful) announced that they weren't going to be enforcing Abbott's mask mandate, and the situation you described at the end of your post is exactly why it's not really feasible to implement.

• Dislike 1

Statewide mask mandate vs statewide ban on mask mandates... gosh... if only there was a third option....

I'm gonna go down to Texas with a fleet of struggle buses with hermetically sealed cockpits for the drivers.