SEC Coaches talk anonymously

aubiefifty

Auburn

quote:
"So far we hear that it is a total culture change. He’s (new head coach Bryan Harsin) a grinder. Detail-oriented, first-year stuff where he thinks everything should change. Wants to kill off any of that image that Gus’ [Malzahn] teams had and make it about running the ball and blue-collar and all that. But does he have a clue about recruiting? That’s the single biggest question right now in the league."

quote:
"The real reason Gus is out isn’t because Auburn fell behind Alabama, it’s because they fell behind Clemson and Georgia and Florida. Is a guy from Boise going to fix that?"

quote:
"They’re going to try and put a physical culture in. One-on-ones, WRs against DBs in practice. Get mean, that kind of stuff. This was an outside zone run team that’s gonna throw everything into the inside run game. Harsin sold them on being a blue-collar team, being Pat Dye."

quote:
"Derek Mason’s defense is going to be interesting and it may have to carry them early on, because if they dump in all that shift and motion stuff, that offense is used to looking at a single play card. It might be a tough learning curve."

quote:
"At Vandy Mason would scheme you to death. He would do a lot to try to hide the talent gap, and sometimes it worked. What’s it going to look like at a place where he has a better defense than he ever did at Vanderbilt or Stanford? Day one he’s got more to work with than ever. Do they simplify? What does their base defense look like? That’s the most important thing for them until they can bring the offense along.”
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Interesting... Where are these quotes from? 

also... lol @ "a guy from boise state?" lol... that's got to be ol aggie asshat.  or would they prefer it to be a guy from kent state, or toledo, or utah, prehaps?

Edited by Randman5000
  • Haha 1

it was on the rant. i have seen one of these a few years ago. i think they are odd but interesting.

10 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

"Derek Mason’s defense is going to be interesting and it may have to carry them early on, because if they dump in all that shift and motion stuff, that offense is used to looking at a single play card. It might be a tough learning curve."

If it's a tough learning curve, so be it. Big changes are needed and big learning is required. 

• Like 4

The first quote that asked “if he (Harsin) had a clue about recruiting?”

With the transfer portal blowing up. The real question is does anybody have a clue about recruiting anymore?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Interesting... Where are these quotes from? 

also... lol @ "a guy from boise state?" lol... that's got to be ol aggie asshat.  or would they prefer it to be a guy from kent state, or toledo, or utah, prehaps?

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/sec-coaches-talk-anonymously-about-conference-foes-for-2021

This is the full article, 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

THANKS COFFEE! with caps too...lol  i am drinking what you are serving. a pot of coffee a day keeps me going.............

• Like 1

Sounds like Mason has the respect of his fellow coaches and Harsin is going to have to earn that respect. And that is to be expected in the SEC where we fully believe all other leagues are inferior lol. 

Gus Malzahn getting fired because he fell behind Bama and uga? We were consistently behind a lot more teams than that and falling further behind....that is why he got fired. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, gravejd said:

Sounds like Mason has the respect of his fellow coaches and Harsin is going to have to earn that respect. And that is to be expected in the SEC where we fully believe all other leagues are inferior lol. 

Gus Malzahn getting fired because he fell behind Bama and uga? We were consistently behind a lot more teams than that and falling further behind....that is why he got fired. 

i am still embarrassed jawja beat us that time when i do not believe either could score over a hundred. we looked so bad then. and we should have stomped them that game.

There are several things that jump out at me about anonymous quotes of head coach’s:

1.it being anonymous, they can be more honest and critical.

2. It being anonymous, they can be untruthful wo fear of reprisals.

3. They do not have to explain or give reasons for what they say.

4. Free shot to negatively recruit wo concern that someone will find out it was them(usually have risk of recruit or recruits family letting it out).

• Like 1

Success in recruiting ultimately resides in winning big. Harsin has a recipe and history for that. And he’s assembled a great staff that can recruit and develop.  “Build it and they will come.” WDE 🦅 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

Anonymous quotes are weak, but hilarious. 

Probably not even real. 

There's as much chance that a summer intern wrote them as a coach said them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, DAG said:

Anonymous quotes are weak, but hilarious. 

I forgot to source. I just watched a documentary on the making of ‘Field of Dreams’.  I guess that whispering voice from the cornfield stuck in my head. 😅

I'd be willing to bet there aren't any quotes from Coach Harsin in this article.  Unless this is something the SID sent Harsin, it went straight to the virtual trash can.  Harsin ain't got time for this bull, and I like it.

Harsin don't play dat!!!

homey_the_clown-280.jpg

Edited by USATiger