Hey Democrats...

Shoney'sPonyBoy

I am only considered a Democrat by virtue of there being no other viable option.  Therefore, I have no idea what planks there are in the platform.  What I do know is that, on a national level, the congressional candidates that I support do not find it acceptable to lie about our elections in order to gin up support and they do not mirror their views to any one individual in order to secure cult like support.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

I am only considered a Democrat by virtue of there being no other viable option.  Therefore, I have no idea what planks there are in the platform.  What I do know is that, on a national level, the congressional candidates that I support do not find it acceptable to lie about our elections in order to gin up support and they do not mirror their views to any one individual in order to secure cult like support.

This is contradictory, the first sentence implies you researched the democratic party to figure out if it is a viable option for you. Yet, the second sentence says that you didn't even bother to research the democratic platform. 

This is the sad state of politics today.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, wdefromtx said:

This is contradictory, the first sentence implies you researched the democratic party to figure out if it is a viable option for you. Yet, the second sentence says that you didn't even bother to research the democratic platform. 

This is the sad state of politics today.

Not only that, but how does he know whether his congressional candidates mirror their views to any one individual to gain support when he admits he doesn't even know what their view are?

#2, If those congressional candidates were part of the Democratic Party in 2019 then they sure as hell were part of lying about our elections to gain support, as they supported the DNC's lawsuits.

#3, assuming we ignore #2 for a minute, so he's telling us he never voted Democratic until after the 2020 election?  I don't know who he would even have had a chance to vote for since then on a national level, but if the big reason he votes Democrat is what he posted, that only happened a year ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is amazing to me.

This post has been viewed 82 times.  This board seems to lean solidly left, at least as far as people who post regularly.

Yet not one Democratic voter has been willing to post a single plank in the Democratic platform that they support and why.

Do any of you people who vote for Democrats even know what policies you're supporting by voting for these people?

It seems extremely irresponsible not to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Healthcare- should be more affordable and assessable to all citizens. Democrats pushed us a small way in the right direction with the ACA and are opening discussions on price controls and public options. Republicans have no unified plan or vision on healthcare, and are seemingly opposed to healthcare reform in general. 

Foreign policy- I like Democrats focus on global cooperation and diplomacy over Republicans "America first" semi-isolationist stance they've taken lately. 

Gun violence/school shootings are a big problem in America. Democrats offer better solutions on  proposed regulation. Republicans are too beholden to special interests in the gun lobby and their own constituents to do anything about it. 

economic/tax policy. I agree more with the Democrats views on government's role in regulating and overseeing corporations and the economy in general. controlled and common sense government regulation is needed to contain the worst impulses of capitalism while directing it in a way that still leads to opportunity, free enterprise, and economic growth without harming society. They are the party that will try and ease the out of control income and wealth inequality in America, whereas Republicans see it all as a system that is working as intended.

this isn't really a "plank", but on the whole Democratic lawmakers just seem like they are generally more intelligent and less dramatic individuals than their Republican counterparts. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

10 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Healthcare- should be more affordable and assessable to all citizens. Democrats pushed us a small way in the right direction with the ACA and are opening discussions on price controls and public options. Republicans have no unified plan or vision on healthcare, and are seemingly opposed to healthcare reform in general. 

Foreign policy- I like Democrats focus on global cooperation and diplomacy over Republicans "America first" semi-isolationist stance they've taken lately. 

Gun violence/school shootings are a big problem in America. Democrats offer better solutions on  proposed regulation. Republicans are too beholden to special interests in the gun lobby and their own constituents to do anything about it. 

economic/tax policy. I agree more with the Democrats views on government's role in regulating and overseeing corporations and the economy in general. controlled and common sense government regulation is needed to contain the worst impulses of capitalism while directing it in a way that still leads to opportunity, free enterprise, and economic growth without harming society. They are the party that will try and ease the out of control income and wealth inequality in America, whereas Republicans see it all as a system that is working as intended.

this isn't really a "plank", but on the whole Democratic lawmakers just seem like they are generally more intelligent and less dramatic individuals than their Republican counterparts. 

First, thanks for answering the question.

Second, do you mind some honest challenges to what you posted?

3 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

sure, go ahead. 

Well the ACA eliminated many plans people liked, raised everybody’s rates, and made a lot of people lose their doctors.  The whole cost of the plan as forced down our throats did not even have any money allocated to pay doctors.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

28 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

Well the ACA eliminated many plans people liked, raised everybody’s rates, and made a lot of people lose their doctors.  The whole cost of the plan as forced down our throats did not even have any money allocated to pay doctors.

What he said......................it was anything but affordable. LMAO

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

I'm not saying it didn't have any negative consequences associated with it, but it did vastly increase healthcare accessibility to people who otherwise couldn't afford it or didn't have access to it through their employer. The law has also become much more popular with the general public as time has gone on. 

I'd say the ACA was clearly a net benefit to America and increased the nations overall health and healthcare accessibility. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CoffeeTiger said:

sure, go ahead. 

I'll start with the last one first (the one that wasn't really a plank).

AOC, more intelligent and less dramatic?  Maxine Waters?  Nanci Pelosi, less dramatic?  Harry Reid?  Chuck Schumer?  Hank Johnson, more intelligent?  He's the guy who was literally afraid that Guam might tip over.  I could go on, but I'm pretty convinced that the Democrats have at least their share of Dullards and Drama Queens.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Shoney'sPonyBoy said:

I'll start with the last one first (the one that wasn't really a plank).

AOC, more intelligent and less dramatic?  Maxine Waters?  Nanci Pelosi, less dramatic?  Harry Reid?  Chuck Schumer?  Hank Johnson, more intelligent?  He's the guy who was literally afraid that Guam might tip over.  I could go on, but I'm pretty convinced that the Democrats have at least their share of Dullards and Drama Queens.

Pretty sure the republicans don’t have anybody who thinks we went to Mars. SJL says hi.

38 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

I'm not saying it didn't have any negative consequences associated with it, but it did vastly increase healthcare accessibility to people who otherwise couldn't afford it or didn't have access to it through their employer. The law has also become much more popular with the general public as time has gone on. 

I'd say the ACA was clearly a net benefit to America and increased the nations overall health and healthcare accessibility. 

Didn’t change anything. Those who couldn’t afford insurance and didn’t buy it before still can’t afford it and are not buying it now but they now get fined (taxed) for not buying it. They still go to the ER and get care that was fully available to them before by law.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Gun violence?  Democrats offer no solutions at all. Take away guns from law abiding citizens. Not a solution.  Republicans are not beholden to any gun lobby. Republicans are beholden to that thing you know the thing, oh yeah the constitution Amendment 2. And representatives being beholden to their constituents, well, isn’t that how it is supposed to work?

• Love 1

1 hour ago, jj3jordan said:

It wasn't really about Healthcare....but I digress. ;)

• Like 1

Globalist vs Nationalist? I gladly take Nationalist. Republicans don’t want one world government, world taxes, international criminals courts, ceding our sovereignty to international government bodies. No thank you. Some of the countries the UN puts on the human rights committee are a joke. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

It wasn't really about Healthcare....but I digress. ;)

True but the plank tries to appear that way.  Just trying to stay within the OP request but the rabbit hole is there.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

Didn’t change anything. Those who couldn’t afford insurance and didn’t buy it before still can’t afford it and are not buying it now but they now get fined (taxed) for not buying it. They still go to the ER and get care that was fully available to them before by law.

It's a statistical fact that the ACA increased the number of Americans who had health insurance policies.  https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2021/06/05/new-hhs-data-show-more-americans-than-ever-have-health-coverage-through-affordable-care-act.html 

Nobody gets taxed for not having health insurance the "uninsured tax" has been set at $0/yr since 2018. 

And I'm going to give a little personal story here. I know you are wrong because I am someone who did directly benefit from the ACA years ago. There are about a year where I was in a job where I was making low pay and did not have access to medical insurance at a cost that I could afford , and I was able to get a basic insurance plan subsidized through the ACA that allowed me medical care and prescription coverage that I would have had to go without before the ACA was passed. 

Yes, even if you are uninsured the hospital will still have to save your life if you come in with a injury or problem, but that isn't genuine healthcare. If you can't afford medication, regular checkups, pre-emptive surgery to take care of small problems before they become major, life threatening problems later...that's healthcare and is what America should offer it's citizens.  

• Like 1

Republicans want the economy to hum along also. No argument with common sense regulations. We all want clean air and water. But the income inequality issue is tricky.  No question rich people are rich and I’m not one of them. But…how about you identify to me the ratio of income inequality that is acceptable to you. We all know democrats scream about it but never actually say what percentage of wealth the top one two ten percent of the population should own. Right now they own too much but what are you looking for numbers wise. Until you identify some numbers and a method to obtain it, this argument will continue to fall on deaf ears. Some people just work harder than others.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

It's a statistical fact that the ACA increased the number of Americans who had health insurance policies.  https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2021/06/05/new-hhs-data-show-more-americans-than-ever-have-health-coverage-through-affordable-care-act.html 

Nobody gets taxed for not having health insurance the "uninsured tax" has been set at $0/yr since 2018. 

And I'm going to give a little personal story here. I know you are wrong because I am someone who did directly benefit from the ACA years ago. There are about a year where I was in a job where I was making low pay and did not have access to medical insurance at a cost that I could afford , and I was able to get a basic insurance plan subsidized through the ACA that allowed me medical care and prescription coverage that I would have had to go without before the ACA was passed. 

Yes, even if you are uninsured the hospital will still have to save your life if you come in with a injury or problem, but that isn't genuine healthcare. If you can't afford medication, regular checkups, pre-emptive surgery to take care of small problems before they become major, life threatening problems later...that's healthcare and is what America should offer it's citizens.  

Glad you were able to obtain a policy that someone else was able to pay for. Taxes that paid for that came from the unequal income earning people. Question for you. Did you use the policy to obtain medical care that you could not get by going to a hospital emergency room?  Did you benefit from the policy or did you not have to use the benefits but you were protected if you needed to?

The biggest plank in the Democratic Party platform is to trick their lemmings err cult following to think they do things for the good of the country. Exhibit A is the ACA. Yeah it has a couple good aspects to it, but overall it’s trash and we are paying the price for it….literally. Not to mention the insurance companies helped frame it and have made out like bandits. Oh, and they like to donate back to the politicians. But, keep on chugging that Koolaid. 

ww.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/2016/07/28/overwhelming-evidence-that-obamacare-caused-premiums-to-increase-substantially/amp/

http:///www.forbes.com/sites/robertlenzner/2013/10/01/obamacare-enriches-only-the-health-insurance-giants-and-their-shareholders/amp/

D00C5724-CAFF-4809-A728-98841F9B2CAC.jpeg

Edited by wdefromtx
  • Haha 1

The problem with the link is that having an insurance policy doesn't mean anything unless the premiums and deductibles/co-insurance stay relatively stable.

This is why politicians started mixing the terms "health care" and "health insurance," trying to get people to consider the two synonymous.  They aren't.  But people bought it, hook, line, and sinker.

I have posted before that I am in the health care industry.  When I started in that field in 2005 I was in a private clinic and we rarely saw deductibles greater than $500.  Most of them were $250-$400.  That needle barely moved up until Obamacare started getting implemented (not after it was passed, but after implementation started), roughly 8-10 years.  8 or so years later we routinely see deductibles of $3000-$7000.

An insurance policy with a $5,000 deductible doesn't do the policy holder a bit of good unless they have $5,000 to pay the out-of-pocket cost before the insurance policy kicks in.

Now, if you are poor enough, someone else not only pays for the premiums (which have also sharply increased due to Obamacare), but also subsidizes the deductible.  Which means if you are middle class you are paying for someone else's policy twice.  You're paying for it directly by subsidizing the premiums and deductibles with your tax dollars, and you're also paying for it because you aren't poor enough for someone else to pay your artificially inflated $5,000 deductible, caused by Obamacare.

Anybody who votes Democratic because they think they are fighting against corporate corruption doesn't understand Obamacare.  The insurance lobbyists basically wrote Obamacare.  They now have taxpayers paying for thousands of dollars per policy that they used to pay out for.

And if you look it up you will see that the cost of health care (actual health care, not just the health insurance) continues to rise, and it has risen faster since Obamacare.

Why?

Because one of the key provisions was the 15% profit cap on insurance companies.  That sounds like "limiting the worst aspects of capitalism," doesn't it?  It's not.

What it means is that now insurance companies have to ratchet up the total game.  If you could only make 15% profit, would you rather make 15% of $100 or 15% of $1,000?

That's right.  That's what they are doing.  On purpose.  Deliberately.  They are taking in more and paying out more to increase the total cycled through so that that 15% ends up being bigger.

And Obama (and John Gruber) knew that would happen, and went along with it.  Obama wanted to install a mechanism to allow the government to control a large amount of wealth redistribution and was happy to benefit the medical insurance industry to get it.

If it was really about more people having health insurance they would have just used taxpayer money to buy people who couldn't afford a policy one that already existed at the time, which was cheap and had reasonable deductibles and co-insurance, and extended Medicare eligibility to people who had been denied for pre-existing conditions.

That wouldn't have negatively impacted the entire system like Obamacare did but would have allowed more people to have actual useful policies.

No offense, but how many people have insurance policies may be the most meaningless, worthless statistic possible with regard to Obamacare.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

I would be interested to know exactly which foreign policy decisions you are referring to here.

Also which specific gun policies you favor.