McConnell Is About to Block a Voting-Rights Bill. It’s All Part of Democrats’ Plan

aubiefifty

29 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Really?  So how inconvenient should it be?

Not sure and I said at times. ( i e ) inconvenient for me after the hurricane. Of course inconvenient to me may not seem so to you.

• Facepalm 1

5 hours ago, tomcat said:

Speaking of embarrassing…..isn’t a bit rude, if not crass, to label thoughts and opinions you disagree with as “dumb” or “stupid”? 

Call it what you will, but dumb and/or stupid was appropriate. Read the full post and then tell me you disagree. Not only do I disagree, but it is a blatant lie. And somehow I am to feel bad about my rebuttal to such ignorance? Not no but h*** no.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

5 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

he can say what he wants he voted for trump and that is all i need to know. i would be clearer in a rebuttal but i messed up and posted this here instead of smack talk. but you are new here you will learn 78 well and then it will dawn on you that is his IQ.

When you "like" a lie you are supporting said lie. You deserve to be called out, bong hits notwithstanding.

And then you double down with another lie? Come on man. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

That's sort of the point.

Long lines are usually correlated with poor or ethic voting districts.

(Google long voting lines for more detailed info.)

This line of thinking is  what’s wrong  with everything you have mentioned.   All someone has to do is request an absentee ballot.    It comes in mail, you fill it out and put it back in the mail.   It’s as simple as that.   No line standing, no worries on how you’re  going to get to a polling place.   

• Dislike 1

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

Have an early voting period for all states, as part of that all voting should require some form of government issued ID to ensure that the person says they are who they are. 

Seems like a way to satisfy both sides of the aisle to me. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

This line of thinking is  what’s wrong  with everything you have mentioned.   All someone has to do is request an absentee ballot.    It comes in mail, you fill it out and put it back in the mail.   It’s as simple as that.   No line standing, no worries on how you’re  going to get to a polling place.   

Yeah, reduce polling places in minority districts to create long lines - after all,  they can always request an absentee ballot.  :rolleyes:

"It's as simple as that."  :laugh:

34 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Have an early voting period for all states, as part of that all voting should require some form of government issued ID to ensure that the person says they are who they are. 

Good idea.  We could even process and issue IDs before they vote.

Edited by homersapien

Just now, homersapien said:

Good idea.  We could even process and individuals for their I.D. before they vote.

As long as the state is doing it the same way they would be doing it at the DMV, etc. works for me. 

7 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

I’ve never had to wait more than 10 minutes at most. 

You have been right damn fortunate. I waited 1.5 hours at the Pelham, Al civic center.

6 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

Same for many minorities as well, the county I live in has very convenient polling locations and you can vote anywhere in the county not just your precinct. 

I’m sure other places might need more locations to vote, and that’s fine the state should add more if needed. 

I agree with some parts of the proposed bill, but there are things in it I’m against. The whole way they worded the identity requirement enough for me to say it needs to be reworked before I’d vote yes for it. My guess is that is one of the reasons it got shot down. 

After the recent Texas voting reforms, can you still vote vinyl any precinct? I experienced that during early voting in Florida 15 years ago. However, on Election Day one had to vote at their assigned site.

5 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

Call it what you will, but dumb and/or stupid was appropriate. Read the full post and then tell me you disagree. Not only do I disagree, but it is a blatant lie. And somehow I am to feel bad about my rebuttal to such ignorance? Not no but h*** no.

OK, 78…what is the trigger for rudeness? I understand the aggravation. Trump and the truth were rarely associated. He operated under the concept that if people hear the same thing repeatedly, they will believe it. To your point, lies should be called out…as constructively as possible with pertinent facts.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

Yes, yes, yes! When I lived in Florida the early voting period was 2 weeks…I think. I’m old and left Florida in 2010. Regardless, the early voting period was long enough it was embarrassing not to use it. Georgia was not that long, but was only there during the 2012 cycle. Back in Alabama…NO early voting.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, homersapien said:

LOL…too much tomcat here! I’m retiring to the porch heater and nice Bourbon. Carry on…or not 😉

1 hour ago, tomcat said:

OK, 78…what is the trigger for rudeness? I understand the aggravation. Trump and the truth were rarely associated. He operated under the concept that if people hear the same thing repeatedly, they will believe it. To your point, lies should be called out…as constructively as possible with pertinent facts.

The attempt was not to be intentionally rude, but to call out lies. Todays Republican Party is not dictatorial nor do they forcibly suppress opposition. Homey had the parties confused thus the lie. Trump isn't part of the thread nor is he in power despite the MSN infatuation. Hope that helps.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, tomcat said:

After the recent Texas voting reforms, can you still vote vinyl any precinct? I experienced that during early voting in Florida 15 years ago. However, on Election Day one had to vote at their assigned site.

We can still vote at any location in the county not just the precinct. That’s for early voting and day of elections. 

The voting law reforms was way overblown, it’s not going to have an appreciable effect. 

17 hours ago, homersapien said:

Yeah, reduce polling places in minority districts to create long lines - after all,  they can always request an absentee ballot.  :rolleyes:

"It's as simple as that."  :laugh:

Sounds like a hodgepodge of problems in GA. 

https://www.npr.org/2020/10/17/924527679/why-do-nonwhite-georgia-voters-have-to-wait-in-line-for-hours-too-few-polling-pl

Republican Brad Raffensperger, who took over as secretary of state in January 2019, has called for more resources and polling places, but he has been unable to push these changes through the GOP-controlled legislature.

Raffensperger's office blames Democrats and county elections officials for opposing his efforts to improve access. "As Secretary of State, Brad Raffensperger pushed legislation that would force counties to expand polling locations and directly address these issues," Deputy Secretary of State Jordan Fuchs said in an email.

"Unfortunately, every single Democratic Senator and Representative voted against this proposal saying that it would cause 'confusion.' Georgia voters deserve to know who is actually holding back progress and it isn't the Secretary of State's Office."

21 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

When you "like" a lie you are supporting said lie. You deserve to be called out, bong hits notwithstanding.

And then you double down with another lie? Come on man. 

get out of here with that bs. you have never called trump out in a lie yet that i know of. and the boy told thousands of them so you had plenty to choose from. but thank you for thinking of me.

2 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Sounds like a hodgepodge of problems in GA. 

https://www.npr.org/2020/10/17/924527679/why-do-nonwhite-georgia-voters-have-to-wait-in-line-for-hours-too-few-polling-pl

Republican Brad Raffensperger, who took over as secretary of state in January 2019, has called for more resources and polling places, but he has been unable to push these changes through the GOP-controlled legislature.

Raffensperger's office blames Democrats and county elections officials for opposing his efforts to improve access. "As Secretary of State, Brad Raffensperger pushed legislation that would force counties to expand polling locations and directly address these issues," Deputy Secretary of State Jordan Fuchs said in an email.

"Unfortunately, every single Democratic Senator and Representative voted against this proposal saying that it would cause 'confusion.' Georgia voters deserve to know who is actually holding back progress and it isn't the Secretary of State's Office."

I guess the devil is in the details:

"Democrats and voting rights groups said they opposed the Raffensperger-backed bill because they believed it weakened state election supervision and made it harder for people to vote. The proposal shifted even more responsibility for elections from the state to counties, "without the necessary training, funding or support," Lauren Groh-Wargo, chief executive of Fair Fight, a voting rights group founded by former gubernatorial candidate Stacey Abrams, said at the time."......

........"The bill originated in the state Senate, which approved it. The proposal then went to a state House of Representatives committee, where Republicans substituted a version that didn't address the polling place issue and barred the secretary of state and county elections officials from sending absentee ballot applications to voters. Their redesign never reached a floor vote, eliminating any prospect of legislative changes in the 2020 session, which ended in June."

op.cit.

23 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

We can still vote at any location in the county not just the precinct. That’s for early voting and day of elections. 

The voting law reforms was way overblown, it’s not going to have an appreciable effect. 

Actually, that is pretty amazing! Access like this should be available in every state. Were any voting locations closed? A mark of making voting more difficult is reducing locations, especially those near public transportation.

What exactly was the purpose of the voting reforms in Texas. I’m trying to understand what was so “loose” it required fixing.

• Like 1