Post Game Traffic

Gr82batigr

Does anyone know what has happened to the City of Auburn’s traffic control?  After the game, it took 60 minutes to get out of our parking lot and another 30 minutes to get to the Bent Creek/Glenn intersection to get on 85 North. I’ve seen this after Ala and Ga games but not after an Ole Miss game. The traffic flow used to not be a problem. 

Since you don't live here, you may not know that there has been like 14% ANNUALLY for the last few years.  There is not just game traffic here anymore and those of us that are residents deal with it on a daily basis, and the city has been completely reactive (which takes years or decades) rather than being proactive.  Once all the 6500 new beds in downtown are filled, I can't wait to see what traffic and parking will be like there...  

• Sad 1

Traffic has always been bad but from what I saw it was super difficult Saturday night for a few reasons.

1. A lot of people didnt pack up the tailgates and leave until after the World Series game ended so it was still a super large rush on the roads.

2. Everyone in orange and blue stayed until the clock hit 0:00 unlike a lot of games that arent the Iron Bowl or UGA games so that caused a massive rush on the roads. 

3. As stated before, Auburn is growing insanely fast. They are predicting 100,000 residents by year 2025

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AUFightingSoldiers said:

Traffic has always been bad but from what I saw it was super difficult Saturday night for a few reasons.

1. A lot of people didnt pack up the tailgates and leave until after the World Series game ended so it was still a super large rush on the roads.

2. Everyone in orange and blue stayed until the clock hit 0:00 unlike a lot of games that arent the Iron Bowl or UGA games so that caused a massive rush on the roads. 

3. As stated before, Auburn is growing insanely fast. They are predicting 100,000 residents by year 2025

If going to Montgomery or west on 85, I've found it quicker to park on the south end of the campus and literally drive east towards Opelika and get on I85 that way. For big games only.  If it's homecoming or Western Carolina, etc., It doesn't matter as much. 

18 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

If going to Montgomery or west on 85, I've found it quicker to park on the south end of the campus and literally drive east towards Opelika and get on I85 that way. For big games only.  If it's homecoming or Western Carolina, etc., It doesn't matter as much. 

Basically anything that gets you off of Samford, College, Magnolia, Thach, Wire, and (to some extent) East University/Shug is the way to go. Thankfully I live here in town and we stay at our tailgate through the later games so I dont have to fight it too often 

I usually do the shuttles and park at Duck Samford.  Made the mistake of doing the mall location for UGA game, never again. Over an hour to get to truck and 30 mins of that we weren't 20 yards past where we got picked up.

Buncha grumpy people on that bus.

I know this is a 'get off my lawn' type statement to the young ones and the pure money people, but I HATE what AU has done to tailgating. We had our regular site and used to visit 6-8 or different sites every Saturday that didn't start at the gosh awful time of 11:00 AM. Costs us nothing and then, later, a very small parking fee. We still attend 2-3 times a year, but now get there earlier to park further away and pay big bucks to park there. We no longer try and find our buddies from different towns because we're too far apart to walk to now, and opted out of season tickets for the same reasons.  My AU grad father and my family used to have a spot every Saturday and walked two blocks to the stadium. The experience is not better IMHO. 

• Like 3

It all depends on where you park. If you're on the campus side of college street good luck on getting out to 85 quick. I always park on the old city side of college, which makes an easy out for my crew.

I think most of the reasons have been stated here. The game went to the end, and with most people staying until the end, more people on the road. Also, Auburn wants everyone to go a similar route out of the stadium, and it causes gridlock all the way out.

My strategy is park at one of the churches downtown and support their youth, stay to roll Toomers, take Glenn all the way to the Kroger at Tiger Town for gas, hit Whataburger, and then 85.

Sure I've killed 2-3 hours by that time, but traffic is non-existent. 

• Like 3

Thread is making me anxious lol going to the MSU game and Iron Bowl. Where should we park? Going with some family (God help me and I will have to be sober too because I will probably be driving). Where should we park?

Coming from Georgia so we will need to head back East at some point. 

1 hour ago, woodford said:

Thread is making me anxious lol going to the MSU game and Iron Bowl. Where should we park? Going with some family (God help me and I will have to be sober too because I will probably be driving). Where should we park?

Hey woodford, with the MSU game being so early I would recommend parking closer to campus. You will have time after the game to enjoy Auburn, grab some good food, and let traffic clear. Depending on when we kickoff against Bama and if you plan on tailgating or not things will be handled differently. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woodford said:

Prayers sent. 

• Haha 2

In the early '80s when I was a student & my folks drove the RV to games, they'd just hang out for 3 hours after virtually every game rather than sit in exiting traffic 2 hours. Almost 40 years ago.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your thoughts and experiences. I guess I’ve been lucky with much shorter wait times the past 10 years or so. WDE 🦅🦅🦅

We park out near the RO lot. We take a transit bus to Donahue by the stadium. To get there, we come in on Cox to Wire Rd. It's a great area to tailgate, with bathrooms close by. The major downfall is that we really don't see much of the rest of the campus. Going to Toomer's and walking all the way back to RO is a long haul. But we are older, so we don't usually go to Toomer's after games. Just special ones. 🙂

• Like 1

On 11/2/2021 at 7:55 PM, 3rdgeneration said:

We park out near the RO lot. We take a transit bus to Donahue by the stadium. To get there, we come in on Cox to Wire Rd. It's a great area to tailgate, with bathrooms close by. The major downfall is that we really don't see much of the rest of the campus. Going to Toomer's and walking all the way back to RO is a long haul. But we are older, so we don't usually go to Toomer's after games. Just special ones. 🙂

What is the RO lot? Still trying to figure out where to park on Saturday? 

I will need to get out in a hurry. I will probably the leave the game a little early if it’s not too close. Have prior engagements that night. 

It’s resident overflow.  Come in Cox to Wire Rd.  Turn left just past the softball field, I think it’s Samford? There’s a traffic light there.  Turn right on Hemlock.  The RO lots are on the left.  There’s parking along Hemlock if you get there early enough.  The shuttle picks up by the RO lot on Thach.  Just a quick trip to the stadium.  It’s faster to walk back to your car.  You can leave from Hemlock and go back to Samford.  They will make you go the opposite direction from how you came in.  You go right and run into University.  Take a left and then a right on Wire,  back to Cox, and zip to the interstate.  Easy, peasy.  I would suggest you get there early and leave the game a little early if you park over there.  As long as you are slightly ahead of everyone else, you should be fine.  😊

Edited by 3rdgeneration

On 11/8/2021 at 3:33 PM, 3rdgeneration said:

It’s resident overflow.  Come in Cox to Wire Rd.  Turn left just past the softball field, I think it’s Samford? There’s a traffic light there.  Turn right on Hemlock.  The RO lots are on the left.  There’s parking along Hemlock if you get there early enough.  The shuttle picks up by the RO lot on Thach.  Just a quick trip to the stadium.  It’s faster to walk back to your car.  You can leave from Hemlock and go back to Samford.  They will make you go the opposite direction from how you came in.  You go right and run into University.  Take a left and then a right on Wire,  back to Cox, and zip to the interstate.  Easy, peasy.  I would suggest you get there early and leave the game a little early if you park over there.  As long as you are slightly ahead of everyone else, you should be fine.  😊

Thank you. What is RO? Like do you have an address for it?

Edited by woodford

42 minutes ago, The Freak said:

image.png

I'm assuming it's these labelled "RO Parking"

Ok cool. Thanks. I was looking at Google maps earlier around that area based on his directions. I will try that.