2023 5* PG Kanaan Carlyle

AUreo

• ellitor changed the title to 2023 5* PG Kanaan Carlyle

I like our chances.

We have a good relationship with him. However, he also seems to like Baylor and Stanford.

Another top recruit, Stephon Castle is planning to commit soon and Auburn is in a good position, he really likes Auburn a lot - maybe it will help landing Carlyle.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CU8Re9UpQXw/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Edited by AUreo

This guy lives about five minutes from me.

If you need me to attend his game as a thirst trap in Auburn gear just give me the word.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, AUreo said:

I like our chances.

We have a good relationship with him. However, he also seems to like Baylor and Stanford.

Another top recruit, Stephon Castle is planning to commit soon and Auburn is in a good position, he really likes Auburn a lot - maybe it will help landing Carlyle.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CU8Re9UpQXw/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Yeah, all of these guys on our front page rn whittling their lists down at the same time spooks me, but it could be a good omen 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, abw0004 said:

This guy lives about five minutes from me.

If you need me to attend his game as a thirst trap in Auburn gear just give me the word.

Me too. In the Cambridge district. 

15 minutes ago, Butthead said:

Me too. In the Cambridge district. 

Chattahoochee grad!  My office is across from the Avalon

12 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I live in Milton and work in downtown 'fretta.  If I worked near Avalon, I might weight 350 and eat Jenni's everyday.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Butthead said:

Well 2 of his teammates are currently in the Fulton county jail after being charged for murdering another student in a drug deal. Good grief. 

damn

• Facepalm 1

• 3 weeks later...

K-9, what a cool moniker!

- - - - -

Elite 2023 PG Kanaan Carlyle Adds Tennessee to Final List

Carlyle is also considering Stanford, Auburn, Baylor, Florida and Kansas.

https://www.si.com/college/2021/11/24/kanaan-carlyle-adds-tennessee-to-final-list

Earlier this month when Milton (Alpharetta, Ga.) point guard Kanaan Carlyle trimmed his list to five – Stanford, Auburn, Baylor, Florida and Kansas – he didn’t anticipate it triggering increased interest from a school that didn’t make the cut.

Yet, since then, Tennessee has been relentless in its pursuit of the 6’2” floor general; so much so that Rick Barnes and the Vols have now made Carlyle’s list a top six.

“Yeah, you could say that,” Carlyle said of expanding his list. “I’m gonna get down there for a visit in December. They offered a while back, but then they weren’t coming as hard. They called me and explained everything, and it changed my mind a little bit. I’ve always liked how they develop players.” 

Carlyle has already taken visits to Baylor, Auburn and Stanford and plans to visit Florida early next year. 

“I love the official visits, but they definitely make the process harder,” Carlyle said. “You leave one place and you’re like ‘I want to go there’ then you go to the next one and you want to go there! It’s fun, but it’s stressful.”

Especially when Stanford is literally rolling out the red carpet upon Carlyle’s arrival.

“Right when we got off the plane, they had a big red carpet for us to walk on,” Carlyle said. “It was pretty cool.” 

The star treatment is understandable for one of the most impressive guards in the 2023 class this summer.

His combination of athleticism, quickness, shiftiness and IQ make him a headache of a defensive assignment and worthy of his on-court moniker of “K-9.”

“It’s because of the way I play,” Carlyle said. “Aggressive! Just like a dog.” 

That said, it’s his mentality and approach on the defensive end that sets him apart from other guards in the 2023 class. Every game, no matter who he’s playing, Carlyle’s primary goal is to hold his man under five points. 

“If I don’t do that, I’m not happy,” Carlyle said. “Defense is way more fun than offense to me. Everyone can score, but not everyone is bringing that same energy and effort on the other end of the court. I love to play defense.”

What he’s not as fond of is the stress that accompanies the recruiting process, and to alleviate that part could “potentially” have a decision before the end of the year. 

“We’ll see, I’m looking at maybe before the end of the year or early next year,” Carlyle said. “Either way, it’ll be when I know for sure.” 

On 11/8/2021 at 1:42 PM, ellitor said:

Solid.

So 6 out of 10? :big:

• 2 weeks later...

Not looking good. Apparently, we might not even be in his top3 according to JLee and some insiders. (Carlyle will announce his commitment soon).

How is this possible? We suddenly can’t land any Atlanta area kids and other highly rated HS recruits anymore…(except Westry)

Collier seems to favor Bama and L.Johnson was a UVA lean (not long ago)

Castle is committed to UConn, JNewton committed to Indiana, JWalker signed with Houston.

Interestingly, Newton, Walker, Castle, and Carlyle all visited Auburn when we hosted UGA.

- - - - 

• Did the self-imposed recruiting ban (6 months) hurt us?
  • Did other teams use the NCAA investigation against us (negative recruiting)?
  • Maybe we signed too many (high-profile) transfers this year?
  • I keep reading our facilities are not on par (esp. when compared to traditional Basketball schools), maybe that’s the reason?
  • Other programs seem to have figured out NIL already and we are still lagging behind(?)

It’s puzzling. We have a great team, great coaching staff, Final4 appearance just a few years ago, potential #1 NBA draft pick… we basically own(ed) the Atlanta region in recruiting and we aren’t losing talent to local teams (UGA, GA Tech, etc).

Edited by AUreo
  • Sad 1

On 11/9/2021 at 10:48 AM, Butthead said:

I live in Milton and work in downtown 'fretta.  If I worked near Avalon, I might weight 350 and eat Jenni's everyday.

I'm near both of you guys. I used to work at Avalon. Jenni's is too expensive and kinda meh. Andy's is where it's at. Rumi's (Persian) is probably the best restaurant in Avalon.

On 11/8/2021 at 10:03 PM, abw0004 said:

Did you happen to play baseball for all time Auburn great, GDC Hall of Famer (and my former teammate) Tim Lemons?  Dude could seriously swing the stick.

7 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Did you happen to play baseball for all time Auburn great, GDC Hall of Famer (and my former teammate) Tim Lemons?  Dude could seriously swing the stick.

I didn’t!  But, I had him as a teacher.  Extremely nice guy

On 12/22/2021 at 7:40 PM, AUreo said:

Not looking good. Apparently, we might not even be in his top3 according to JLee and some insiders. (Carlyle will announce his commitment soon).

How is this possible? We suddenly can’t land any Atlanta area kids and other highly rated HS recruits anymore…(except Westry)

Collier seems to favor Bama and L.Johnson was a UVA lean (not long ago)

Castle is committed to UConn, JNewton committed to Indiana, JWalker signed with Houston.

Interestingly, Newton, Walker, Castle, and Carlyle all visited Auburn when we hosted UGA.

- - - - 

• Did the self-imposed recruiting ban (6 months) hurt us?
  • Did other teams use the NCAA investigation against us (negative recruiting)?
  • Maybe we signed too many (high-profile) transfers this year?
  • I keep reading our facilities are not on par (esp. when compared to traditional Basketball schools), maybe that’s the reason?
  • Other programs seem to have figured out NIL already and we are still lagging behind(?)

It’s puzzling. We have a great team, great coaching staff, Final4 appearance just a few years ago, potential #1 NBA draft pick… we basically own(ed) the Atlanta region in recruiting and we aren’t losing talent to local teams (UGA, GA Tech, etc).

Facilities?!! That doesn’t even make since

3 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

Facilities?!! That doesn’t even make since

Houston has a basketball only practice facility that was one of the big reasons Auburn mods have said he chose Houston over AU. Auburn arena is amazing and so great. But Auburn mens basketball has to share it with other teams.

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, AUreo said:

If he is a one year then NBA type player that doesn't make a lot of sense but if he chose it because of its academics that he wants to take advantage of then it makes a lot of sense. Whatever his reason for going to Stanford it is a great academic school I hope he takes advantage of it even if he goes to NBA by taking classes when not in season and eventually graduating from there.

• Like 1